TN: LaClarine petite manseng '16...(short/boring)

Tried this wine last week:

1. LaClarineFarm petit manseng SierraFoothills WW (U/U; 13%; www.LaClarineFarm.com) Somerset 2016: Med.dark gold color w/ some suspended flocculant material; rather appley/apple cider bit earthy pleasant enough if simple nose; quite tart/acidic rather appley/apple cider slight earthy/chalky bit simple pleasant enough flavor; med.long mostly appley/apple cider some chalky/earthy finish; a pleasant enough rather simple white w/ no funky or mousey character evident.
    Two day later after being left open on the counter: Much the same apple cider w/ a slight bit of mousey/funky character peaking out; very acidic/screechy very light apple cider some metallic very slight funky/mousey character; not much of a change in character but rather painful to drink.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. I always approach the LaClarine wines w/ a great deal of trepidation. Hank Beckmeyer is one of the darlings of the “natural” wine movement. His 2015 Albarino was the 2’nd worst wine I’ve ever tried w/ an overwhelming hantavirus/mousey character that destroyed the wine. A 2’nd btl I tried a few months later w/ the NM distributor to show him how bad the wine was turned out to be not nearly that bad. A bit funky/hantavirus but not at all undrinkable. The 2016 was much better w/ only a light “natty” character.
    So I was expecting this wine to display some “natty” character. It did not, initially. But it was an acidic/screechy white that spoke mostly of apple cider, no PetiteManseng character that I could recognize. An utterly charmless wine.
    Haank grows some interesting varieties and I’ll probably continue to try his wines until I get stung one too many times.
    Tom

Thanks for your report, Tom. You’re more tolerant/forgiving of disappointment than I am.

I have not had this vintage, though previous versions I’ve had have been absolutely great.

Nate,

Did they have the same flavor and aromatic profiles that Tom described? Or? Just curious.

Cheers.

Larry, I’d say they had an oxidative note (intentional, I assume), but nothing objectionable. I don’t know what P Manseng is “supposed to” taste like, though.

Nate,

Thanks. I find with certain wines some people tend to be ‘more critical’ than others of the same wine, and for many reasons:

1. Perhaps the producer and their reputation is ‘given a pass’

2. Perhsps one person’s sense of ‘typicity’ towards a variety is different than another’s

3. Perhaps one person likes ‘outside the norm’ more t in an someone else

4. Perhaps someone simply wants to be a devil’s advocate

Again, my curiosity sometimes gets the better of me. Thank you again.

Cheers

Thanks Tom! I learned a new word today - flocculant