TN: 2013 Domaine Chandon Carneros Pinot Meunier

The Rodney Dangerfield champagne grape- “I tell ya, Pinot Noir and Chardonnay get all the respect.” Recently we enjoyed a Champagne that was 100% Meunier, Egly-Ouriet “Les Vignes de Vrigny”, and it was delicious! The flavor profile of the grape was especially appealing to both of us: fruit and conspicuous spice . Intrigued enough to search for a still wine version, we found this one from California. We chilled the bottle for 30 minutes prior to opening on a warmish evening. Served with our weekly cheese plate. (quelle surprise!)

The color was unexpected brick orange redness and reminded me a bit of a Tawny Port or a Barolo. The nose was mute to my deviated septum, but my wife noted licorice and molasses(?) The taste was decidedly spicy, with a full flavor but a relatively light mouthfeel. Words fail me to identify the spice but I would say more spice than fruit and if fruit then spicy compote. The aftertaste was full and lingering spice and very reminiscent of the long and pleasing aftertaste I noted in the Vignes de Vrigny. Different wine for sure, but ultimately very nice.
Respect!
meunier 1.jpg
meunier 2.jpg

I had 2 bottles of this wine in my cellar and had forgotten about them until I saw this note. We opened one last night and it was very good. Thanks for the TN.