90 red burgs

Great dinner with a couple friends last night here in NYC. Pizza at Pasquale Jones and then getting into the cellar back home and drinking burgundy on my roof.

90 Rouget VR Beaux Monts
These early 90s Rougets are all over the map, but when they are great, they are absolutely epic. 90 Rouget Ech, for example, is one my all time favorite wines. But bottles are inconsistent. This wine is similar. By coincidence, a friend opened a bottle of this out in British Columbia a couple weeks ago and it was mind blowing. That was an A+. This was a very good bottle, but there is an extra gear that you don’t get every time. Anyway, the wine is wonderfully exotic. I am just an absolute sucker for the tropical, exotic notes that these 90 Vosnes can have. I can’t get enough of it. Red fruit, mango, star fruit. I’m a goner.

90 DRC RSV and GE
The comparison really made a great point: DRC is so composed. So poised. Even in a ripe year, the amazing thing about DRC as a producer is that it keeps everything buttoned up. For that reason, I really love DRC in riper years like 90; I think the style balances well with a big vintage. Give DRC a big bruiser of a vintage, let them tame it, and enjoy. Amazing combination. Both of these were excellent bottles. The RSV had a bit of a cooler fruit profile, with the GE showing a little brighter.

01 Mugnier Amoureusses
We got off the 90 train here, but still a nice comparison. This was just gorgeous. I will be honest I’d had some disappointments with Amoureusses recently, and I was kind of souring on it. But this hit me like a lightning bolt–stop being an idiot. Amoureusses is fantastic you fool. Lesson learned.

We should meet for 1990 Bordeaux soon.

That’s only 4 wines!

Very nice group of wines. The 01 Mugnier Amoureuses is stunner.

I couldn’t agree more. It really blew me away.

I left out the pot of 1946 Laberdolive we got into afterwards…surprisingly mellow, which I attribute to the fact that I’ve owned it in bottle for a few years and it hasn’t always been in a cellar. That may have sped up the maturation a bit. But either way, delicious.

I was expecting 90 wines!

and if he’d written 1990 red Burgs?

Wine geeks are gullible for anything saying 90 or higher.

'90

Hah. Well played Alan.

Then we’d complain that drinking nearly 2000 wines at a single sitting is wasteful.