TN: Two friends sharing three bottles of wine - Part 4

TWO FRIENDS SHARING THREE BOTTLES OF WINE - PART 4 - Ruth’s Chris, Tysons Corner, VA (8/22/2019)

As much as I love wine, it is the people that make the passion so special. I have known RJ for over a decade. We have become close friends and had excellent adventures including two trips to Burgundy in search of cheap Coche Dury. RJ invited me to a dinner about a month ago and proposed the 99 La Tache, incredibly generous gesture. I wanted to try the 15 DRC Echezeaux so this was my contribution. As usual, the dinner lasted longer than expected as we were having way too much fun solving the world’s problems.

2007 CDC

• 2007 Taittinger Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne - France, Champagne
    Medium expressive nose displaying fresh and soft white fruit, fresh lemon, granny smith, a hint of pear, honey, sweet spices and limestone. Medium concentration, finely layered soft white fruit, fine abundant mousse, bright acidity, strong mineral and a medium to long sweet white fruit driven finish with honey and mineral at the end. It is softer and perhaps slightly fresher but not as energetic and concentrated compare to the 06. (94 pts.)

DRC
Both showed incredibly well. Interesting, they were both very ripe and unbelievably concentrated.

• 1999 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Tâche Grand Cru
    Explosive nose displaying intense perfectly ripe black and red fruit, blackberry, blackberry liqueur, black cherry, raspberry concentrate, a hint of licorice, Chinese medicine, Vosne spice, black tea, espresso bean, liquid smoke, lavender, a hint of DRC stem, sandalwood and limestone dust. Unbelievable concentration, layers upon layers of concentrated black fruit, unctuous, rich and opulent yet silky and sensual, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, mostly masked very fine tannins and the finish that never ends. It confirms once again that this is the biggest and most concentrated La Tache at least since the 90, only equal by the 15. It remains very youthful and doesn’t show much sous bois yet it is incredibly complex. If you prefer a lot of sous bois and tertiary notes as I do, this can easily improve for three decades or more. Monumental! (100 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru
    Expressive hedonistic nose displaying very ripe jammy black fruit with a hint of red, blackberry liqueur, cassis, black cherry, black plum, raspberry jam, strong licorice, liquid smoke, caramel, cinnamon, nutmeg, Vosne spice, cedar and crushed rock. It is so ripe that there is no hint of the DRC stem note. Unbelievable concentration, layers upon layers of concentrated jammy black fruit, rich, unctuous and opulent, bright acidity, strong mineral and an intense long sweet black fruit driven finish with liquid smoke and caramel at the end. This is the ripest and most concentrated DRC Echezeaux that I have encountered. If you are a member of AFWE, this will not please you. I dare say, Kosta Browne like ripeness here. It will be really interesting to follow how it evolves. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

My invitation got lost in the mail…

Seriously thanks for the TN, love the older DRC only tasted one in my experience.

I had La Tâche 1999 at the domain in june 2015. A really great wine, not ready to drink (18,5+/20). The great La Tâche 1990 was.

I remember a solar, overripe Echézeaux 1999 at the domain in 2005.
Bernard Noblet told us that he should have left more stems.

Echézeaux - Domaine de La Romanée-Conti 1999 : june 2005
Robe presque noire. Le nez très mûr (limite surmûr ?) surprend par ses senteurs assurément singulières : pain d’épices, mûre, poivre, cerise confite, liqueur de cassis. La bouche confirme un caractère baroque : liqueur, pruneau (sans connotation péjorative, car on pense à la prune très mûre), menthol, variations balsamiques (laurier, eucalyptus, ciste). Elle est curieusement très extravertie (on tend vers une syrah ?), construite sur une grosse matière peu académique en l’état mais solide, et sa nette fraîcheur sous-jacente lui confère un caractère ubiquiste. Selon Bernard Noblet, il aurait été utile de laisser plus de rafle ! Un vin grand écart, joliment énigmatique.

How awesome to get a chance to taste those. One day…I hope I’ll get a chance to. It’s always nice to have things to look forward to. [cheers.gif]

nice notes and lovely wines

How does the 99 LT compare to the 05?

Dan, for me the 99 is the superior LT. Having said that, I’ve had the 99 a fair amount of times and the 05 once. (The 05 was at a restaurant in Beaune two years ago and in essentially perfect condition.) Both outstanding, but for me the 99 has always had that something extra that makes it close to perfect.

Kevin, an excellent dinner, that makes me want to do the exact pairing soon. Love your notes and posts!

When tasted side by side, I preferred the 05, more classic and precise.

to further clarify, I think the 90, 99, 09, 12 and 15 have similar style. Where the 05 and the 10 are similar. BTW, the 14 is a classic La Tache as well.

What’s that bottle of drug on the right? Anti-hangover?

Motive Pure.

when do you drink the motive pure?

Just three bottles among two people? Do you think you can actually appreciate the quality of the wines without several other bottles at the same time for comparison and to keep your palate from getting burned out from just drinking the same few wines?

I didn’t take one but typically before.

Mike,
We only drank less than half of the 07 CDC and had 2/3 of the 15 Echezeaux.

I apologize if my intent wasn’t clear, which was to mock the “bottle quantity police” who haunt many of your posts.

The issue of sobriety …

Next week-end, I will be near Bordeaux with fifteen good friends, each one bringing a selected magnum of his own cellar.
Prestigious or not, expensive or not, the wines will be drunk, spit out (and not only the bad or flawed ones) or even saved (for the next days) …

Every guest has his own vision of what “reasonable drinking” means … (I know people who systematically spit, some who will never accept to waste a single drop of Rousseau Chambertin or Clos du Mesnil).

I personnaly hate to waste and drink as much water as possible.