Stony Hill!???

Anyone been to Stony Hill since it was announced that they were acquired by the Halls of Long Meadow? We’ve had some of our most memorable tasting experiences with the McRaes there but I’m wondering what’s changed at this point or might in the near future. Are Peter and Willinda still there and doing tastings? Their site doesn’t mention the sale that I could see.

I visited right before the sale last year, but FWIW I received an email about an ITB event they were doing from the same contact that I’d communicated with prior to my visit.

I was there today and the tasting was conducted by Allison. She said all employees were retained. What’s changed is the cab is being discontinued and the grapes go to Long Meadow Ranch.

Too bad. I like the Cab. But, isn’t the winemaker (Mike Chilini) retiring anyway?

I was there last year and mike said he was retiring as of March of this year.

That really is sad news about the cab. I rode ATVs up to that vineyard with Mike a few years ago and it is stunning! Elevation is almost 2000ft. I mean where else could you find mountain cab for 60-75/bottle. One if the great all time values in Cabernet.

Anyone been recently ? I’m thinking of scheduling a visit for a quick visit I have coming up.

Stony Hill and the Halls of Long Meadow sounds like book #1 of a new teen fantasy series.

Looks like Long Meadow Ranch has a somewhat similar style. We’re going to try and visit both next weekend.

I will be interested in your tasting notes from your visit.

Aren’t they in the new Game of Thrones prequel?

Spoke to Galen yesterday and he corrected me. The cab is going to continue. It will be vinified at the LMR winery instead of at custom crush. Good news!

Yay!

Howard- we had a great visit and it’s a beautiful place to see such Valley history. We had tasted at Frog’s Leap earlier in the day and an impromptu tasting at Long Meadow Ranch after our lunch at Farmstead. My palate was a bit worn out especially as the styles for all these wines are leaner with a bit more acidity and lower ripeness.

I really liked the Riesling. The Guertz just didn’t seem to be showing well. The 17 and 11 Chard’s are beautiful and I especially enjoyed the 11 and the peek at what these wines can become with age. I really struggled with the Cab. I found the tannin on both the 15 and 13 to be really bracing and hit me right upfront. I had a tough time getting past it but I think some of it was catching it at the end of the day. I tasted the 14 Long Meadow Napa and 15 Rutherford Estate and preferred those wines. Perhaps they see a bit more new Oak but they are also made in a more restrained style that I usually enjoy. Obviously 13 has a ton of structure and some 15’s as well can have quite a bit of tannin so they just may be very young at this point.