TN: 2001 Copain Hein PN Anderson Valley

TN: 2001 Copain Hein PN Anderson Valley; Well(s), it’s alive. Quite alive. Very oaky though. The flavor is on the dark side of the PN spectrum leaning towards cola, tea, sassafras, and syrah but is from beginning to end subservient if not squashed by the oak component. Drinkable. I got a huge waft of fruit and oak when the cork was pulled so at first I thought maybe I had a brute-beaut on my hands but as soon as poured into the glass with a sniffy sniff the oak was dominant and stayed that way over three hours and two episodes of “The Boys” Seth Rogen Says The Boys Season 2 Premiere Is 'Way Better' Than He Hoped | Cinemablend Better than Row Eleven but not altogether dissimilar based on the one and only time I made the mistake of trying RE.

My THBP (Tom Hill Bloody Pulpit)-I truly don’t mean to make a statement with this post. I have nothing for or against Copain. I bought a bit for about three years back when this was released and this cellar orphan remained. I opened it with only hope that it would not be dead despite my year-round cool storage, to accompany sushi. My only reason for posting was it’s age. Take my view with huge rock of salt-I like very few Caly pinots these days.

Dark side indeed.

Wells ended up putting Hein into the Les Voisins along with Abel and Henneberg. I didn’t realize he SVDd it at one time.

From “before the change” period of early Copain. Wines after 2006/2007 are very different.

FWIW, winemaking and style evolved later in his career, especially with Pinot Noir.

-Al

About a third of the bottle on day two turned brown but puzzling enough tasted more like pinot with a nice(r) finish. More velvet, let Syrah.

I drank a bottle of the 2000 Hein late last year and it was drinking very well:

2000 Copain Pinot Noir Hein Family Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (11/23/2018)
14.0% abv. Recent purchase from WineBid.
Cork came out in one piece but was quite spongy and completely soaked through. No sign of leakage, though.
In any case, I opened this after getting home on Thanksgiving evening from the folks house, having not been able to drink much since I was driving. I poured a small glass and it was, honestly, not very enjoyable and seemed pretty dead. It was pretty late and my palate was probably shot from the Thanksgiving meal and dessert and being pretty wiped out, so I vacuvin’d the bottle and left it for the next evening.
This did the trick, as this was gorgeous with T-giving leftovers. The nose showed fragrant, earthy aromas. On the palate, this offered a nice soft mouthfeel, focused and deep, with lovely Burgundian earth and sous bois flavors. Balanced, seamless, and satisfying. Enjoyed every last drop.
After the great experience with the recently opened 2000 Dennison, I am becoming a big fan of these older Copain Pinots. I did not try these in their youth, but I can’t imagine they were better than they are now, so I guess the answer to the question is that Cali Pinot can improve with age. (93 pts.)

A 2004 was also good, but not great:

2004 Copain Pinot Noir Hein Family Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (12/2/2018)
Recent purchase from WineBid.
Cork came out in one piece and was only stained up a couple of mm.
Nose was not remarkable, even a little weak.
On the palate, a little more weight than I expected - almost a glycerin mouthfeel to it. I thought it could have used a touch more acidity as well. I enjoyed the earthy character of the fruit, which also had good depth and persistence.
Tasted over 2 days - consistent throughout. Really enjoyed this. Another nice older Copain. (90 pts.)