Bordeaux 2016 vs 2018

Bordeaux 2016 vs 2018.

Without the luxury of tasting these, but tempted like never before to buy, what are the experts here at Berserker’s thoughts on which vintage will reign supreme? or is it a toss up?

Thus far I have bought a case from each vintage, and now I would like to secure one more case from ONE of the vintages.

Pretty much going to be equally great after 20 years. Most likely 18 futures are cheaper than the 16s out right now, so I would prob save a few bucks and get 18.

sounds like space is your limiting factor not money. Chateau Canon and Chateau Margaux, IMHO, are the best bargains for 2018 and are going to be fabulous in the long term. Save some money vs retail and get a case of one of those.

There is a strong rumor that Lafite 2018 is going to feature a special label commemorating 150 Years of Rothschild ownership. If so, it will probably increase in price like the other two first growths who created one, Mouton in 2000 and Margaux who did a special label in honor of the last vintage of long time winemaker Paul Pontallier.

I really like the look of the '15 Margaux label.

I do too. Like many who went over annually to Bordeaux to taste wine en primeur, we got to know and like Paul. So I was planning to buy a couple of bottles, but the new bottling and price increase put an end to that.

1 Like

The special label for Lafite 2018 is 100% confirmed.

I’m surprised the consensus is that 2018 is on the same level as 2016. The weather describes a very different outcome, and the alcohol levels in 2018 are a good tell. Not for me, and I doubt anyone that likes restrained BDX will do well out of this latest vintage.

I think most people have not tasted 2018, so hard to be definitive. From the reports I have heard, 2016 a lighter but strong vintage is likely to be more to my taste.

Chris,

I recommend in tasting and drinking, not investing.

Chris,

I personally would buy more 16. BUT, that is absolutely meaningless for you. Probably not a huge difference in the vintage, from what I can tell. And I have no idea what you like, or even if you are planning on drinking them yourself, or what.

$550+ Ch. Margaux is a bargain? Not in my neighborhood.

Hard to give advice on this question w/o knowing what you like. So I will just say get LCHB from either '16 or '18. 6 of 16 and 6 of 18?

Disclaimer: I havent tried '18 LCHB but few tasters recommend it.

Jurgen,

I am drinking not investing!

Just picked up 2016 Pichon Comtesse Lalande for $180 each.

Chris did you buy any 2014 or 2015, and if so, what?

Pretty cool to have the luxury of these four vintages in the span of five.

Great wine

You should’ve been a country lawyer.

Not worth it. Not even close.

1 Like

You could have a trophy wife and a pool boy.

Where did you hear it is 100% confirmed?