TN: 2001 Ridge Monte Bello - Why oh Why?

It’s not like I have a reason to forget about Ridge Monte Bello. This board and the old one provided tons of reminders via tasting notes and comments. But I rarely buy a Monte Bello and I’m not sure why. (I may have just six of these of different vintages in my cellar).

Opened and poured, dark red, nose of dark cherry, herbs and a little spice. Taste so pleasing, integrated with a backbone and fruit that were just right. Finish long but not big, added a light black licorice. This has such finesse, especially for a 2001. Wonderful. We will enjoy this throughout the evening.

A great wine and for the price a big indictment of some of my Cali Cab buying.

The sailboat of worthwhile California cabernet sauvignon shoved off the dock about twenty-five years ago. For the most part, such wine has subsequently become an exercise in ego, real estate, and wallet-willy-waving.

A friend of mine and myself went to the MacArthur’s barrel tasting when this was poured and offered as futures. We went our different ways around the room, and later converged to compare notes. I had been floored by how good that 2001 MB was and asked him if he had tasted it. He showed me his note on the offer sheet: “f***ing incredible”. Bought some of course. Hope you have at least another of this vintage!

to Victor Hong,

You wrote: “The sailboat of worthwhile California cabernet sauvignon shoved off the dock about twenty-five years ago. For the most part, such wine has subsequently become an exercise in ego, real estate, and wallet-willy-waving.”

We disagree, but if you are willing to change one word in your post we are on the same page: Substitute ‘Napa’ for ‘California’, et voila!

Anyone who thinks Ridge Monte Bello, Mount Eden and other Santa Cruz Mountain Cabs aren’t world class wines at very fair prices either
a) hasn’t tried them with some age, or
b) loves only ooze

Not to diss Sonoma (especially Alexander Valley), Paso, Livermore and other places too numerous to mention.

Dan Kravitz

“Ahab[, Victor] and anguish lay stretched together in one hammock.”

Jim - I have two more. I enjoyed your post on this wine.

And there are wineries that either never went down the Cabernet Kool-Ade rabbit hole (e.g. Corison), or newer producers who are not making trophy goop monsters (e.g. Matthiasson, Enfield, etc.).

The sailboat of worthwhile Napa cabernet sauvignon shoved off the dock about twenty-five years ago. For the most part, such wine has subsequently become an exercise in ego, real estate, and wallet-willy-waving.

Dan messed up, but you’re still wrong Victor.

Dan

From Napa, try Stony Hill Cabernet

MB always impresses me and grows in my cellar. I just wish I had joined the list earlier (and who doesn’t?). It remains a great wine and value.

There are many other great, reasonably priced Cali AND Napa cabs still. Many different styles are available. No doubt, prices have gone nuts and many are truly bizarre. But those like Dunn, EMH, Rivers Marie, Detert, Drinkward-Peschon continue to deliver at reasonable prices. Others can name more.

My only issue with MB is that my stash may not be anywhere near ready in my lifetime. My son will enjoy them.

I have bought them since 2007 and the only bottle I opened so far (an '07 several years ago) was still pretty primary.

Had 3 now down to 2. One of the best vintages from my stash.

+1. And mine are younger than yours!

I’ll buy many things if I’m confident I can sell them for more than I bought them.

Dan, I’m with you on this concern. But I have tried the 2006 and 2007 in the last year and I’ve found both developing nicely and very enjoyable. Tons of upside still, but not crazy to open, especially if you like youthful fruit in your MB.

I love Ridge Monte Bello. Great note John. Cheers to you!

Don - You have always been an MB advocate. Wish I had listened more intently about 15 years ago!

completely agree that MB takes forever to mature … but it’s a delightful frustration. when it finally gets to its plateau it’s a thing of wonder. my woty 2018 was a MB1996 in an enlightened local restaurant here in Blighty. Bordeaux also takes its time, of course…

R.

I have a strong preference to aged wines so to me the '07 I drank in 6/17 was way too early. I plan to open another next year with a 12 hour decant. [cheers.gif]