TNs: 15 Fourrier, 17 PYCM

Last night’s wines:
2015 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin Vieille Vigne
A bit concerning on first PnP sip. A little Californication going on, with a somewhat candied feel – like a Littorai. Noticeable oak. Uh-oh has Fourrier crept toward the dark side? Confirmation bias creeping in? But with some air this settles down nicely. It’s still a full wine, with a richness about it for a village wine. But it’s more an indication of the vintage than a change in style IMO. Crushed raspberries meet Gevrey soil/iron. Tasty now but better in five years. Liked it very much, but didn’t LOVE it.

2017 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Bourgogne Blanc
To be honest, pretty meh. The kind of wine I’d be happy for someone to serve me at a small alumni function but a bit underwhelming in the rarefied confines of my oenophile home. There’s plenty of sun-kissed lemony fruit and some zippy acidity, but I’m biased by the label. I just wanted a bit more chisel and limestone to it. Yes, I know it’s just a Bourgogne but too easy-going. Product of the vintage? And somewhat pricy for what’s in the glass.

Huh, I really like the 2017 PYCM Bourgogne Blanc.

Have to take it in the context of what it is, of course, but I find it quite drinkable — I ended up buying a case for summer drinking. It has nice cut and a lot of minerality, as if PYCM produced a village Chablis.

And pricey?
No

feel like Fourrier has been like that for awhile now, since 2008/2009 probably. Crunchy ripe red fruit.

Claus, I’m paying US prices. I’m not saying it’s not a nice glass of wine, but for $40 I can spend my money better in Chablis, which fits this wine’s flavor profile.

Different strokes. I know this bottling has been getting a lot of love by perceptive tasters on this board.

FWIW I think his Rully ‘Les Cailloux’ is much preferable to his Bourgogne, and is available at a slight premium

The 17 pycm bb is my house white, just everything I want in an everyday chard.

Most bottles of Fourrier I get “Californiacated” as well. Warm/hot vintages don’t figure to help.

The 2013 Clos Saint Jacques however, where I think the vintage must have reigned the house style in a bit worked very well.

Typical Fourrier. Not my style, but a full flavor early drinker. I liked the PYCM more than you. I did taste some acid, and some flowers that made this a more than just okay every day drinker

Did you just rag on Littorai?

Littorai, Fourrier, and PYCM … ouch.

neener Not really. I have Littorai in my cellar and enjoy them with age, esp the Anderson Valley bottlings.

Fourrier would be an ideal gateway wine into the minefields of Burgundy for someone that likes quality CA pinot from producers like Littorai, Rochioli, WS, et al.

I’ve had some of the Fourrier village VV and really liked them. But certainly you’re right that the '15 should be much improved down the road.

As for '17 PYCM, the couple different St. Aubins I’ve had were stellar, showing much better than the Bourgogne you drank.

And yes, age that Littorai!

Can see the littorai link as they sort of meet half way between burgundy and cali but nothing like WS or Rochioli.

Steakhouse Burgs.

Should add I really enjoy Fourrier but that’s always been my impression (of an admittedly small sample size).

I like Fourrier in not too warm vintages, but at a tasting two years ago I found this one a little over the top. Interestingly, at the same tasting I found his 1er cru 2015 much better balanced.

I opened the first of my '17 PYCM St. Aubin en Remilly. Slightly cloudy; a little matchstick on the now with the lemon creaminess I associate with his wines. Certainly could use some more time but it went down easily and quickly.