TN: 2015 Dr. H. Thanisch (Erben-Thanisch) - Berncasteler Doctor Riesling Kabinett (Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer)

2015 Wwe. Dr. H. Thanisch (Erben-Thanisch) Berncasteler Doctor Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (7/17/2019)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over a few hours –
– AP #: … 05 16 –

NOSE: medium-light petrol; slightly honeyed, with light fruit flavors; nectarine is the only specific fruit flavor that stood-out to me; medium+ expressiveness.

BODY: medium pale yellow color; no spritz; medium-full bodied.

TASTE: zippy acidity, and plenty of it; lots of mineral; pear; hint of canvas tent; 8% alc. not noticeable; Kabinett+ for sweetness. Yet another fantastic 2015 German Riesling! Gut impression score: 92 – 94. Drink Now – 2030.

What does canvas tent taste like and when did you taste it? champagne.gif

Fair question.

It tasted the way canvas tent smells.

Fair enough! I’ve never had an Dr. H. Thanisch, but I’ll be on the lookout.

This is my first go with a Thanisch, as well. It has become exceedingly obvious to me that I have a major crush on 2015 German Rieslings — to the extent that I probably love wines in that vintage that I wouldn’t otherwise love. Just as an FYI.

I’m in the same boat – I have yet to try a 2015 German Riesling that I haven’t really enjoyed or loved.

Imagine how good it would be in the hands of a top producer.

Outside of this bottle, I’m not familiar with Thanisch. Not well-respected?

Good, not great.

It’s moving more towards “Good,” and away from “Great.”

2015 Wwe. Dr. H. Thanisch (Erben-Thanisch) Berncasteler Doctor Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (8/18/2021)
Calming down since the last time I had this. Kabinett-level sweetness. Typical Mosel. 8% alc. not noticeable.

1 Like

I grabbed a couple bottles from Envoyer myself and had one recently. It’s a good kabinett, but not worth the tariff IMHO.

There are three Thanisch.

Thanisches?
Thanischers?

IIRC.

This is by some way the better of the three but still somewhat variable. But the best wines can be excellent. Though they have ‘repositioned’ prices recently.

Older bottles can be superb. A feinste Auslese 53 was beautiful around five years ago.

If only Brian Tuite would chime in so we could get a consensus of the Brians.

1 Like

Along with Schloss Johannisberg, considered the most underachieving “great” vineyard site (and producer) in Germany. I’ve had some great bottles from them over the years, I thought their '83s were delicious - and a 1937 Icewein tasted in the mid 1980s is still stuck in my brain as one of the greatest sweet wines I have ever tasted from Germany.

I have had a number of wines from the 1970s that were delicious. Recent years have always been a crap shoot…an expensive crap shoot.

last time we camped out I kept thinking how much it smelled like a Thanisch riesling.

… and the pendulum swings again …

2015 Wwe. Dr. H. Thanisch (Erben-Thanisch) Berncasteler Doctor Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (9/18/2022)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –

NOSE: medium-light to medium petrol; medium+ expressiveness; pretty much exactly what I think of when I think of “sweet MSR Riesling.”

BODY: full bodied; no spritz; youthful light gold color.

TASTE: gooseberry, with ample mineral; youthful, but relaxed; mineral is metallic, and a green pear note emerged with air; high acidity; very nice right now.

50, 5, 12, 17, 8 = (92+ pts.)

Glad to hear it.

I bought some 2021s, as the vintage might very well offset some of the heat trap issues of the Doctor in the age of climate change.

1 Like