2006 Keller Von der Fels

Influenced by the vintage botrytis characteristics, but better than Hubacker. Not as fresh/good as Kirchspiel, though.
The Morstein is the best of the Keller lineup in 2006, IMO
IMG_20190816_224849.jpg

Claus,

I liked the G-Max 2006 in 2011 (17/20) and the Westhofen Brunnenhäuschen Riesling Trocken Abts E®. de GG 2006 in 2017 (17/20).
Botrytis influence in both case (same for many french wines : Trimbach for example).

interesting to compare the $20 vdF bottling to the $80 GG bottlings. especially with the claim that the vdF holds its own against Hubacker!

IMO the more oppulent Hubacker did not so good in 2006.
Normally Hubacker is off course the better wine

Could you compare with the G-Max ?

NO I would not compare Von der Fels with G max
IMO AbtsErde (first vintage) Morstein and G Max were brilliant in 2006. In fact I believe they were some of the very best german dry wines

Claus,

I meant : a comparison between Hubaker 2006 and G-Max 2006.

Btw, I had an excellent Kirschspiel 2008 last week …

Hubacker was quite delicious at release, but now the 2006 taste is too much for me. But as I wrote, Kirchspiel is delicious

I had both G-Max and Morstein (not Abts-€) 2006 in about 2012 - and I prefered G-Max slightly, imo, however both really great wines.
Kirchspiel is delicious, but not on that high level.

I actually really appreciated the comparison, because the enormous price difference between the vdF and the other dry wines mentioned in this thread has always caused me to shy away from the less expensive. In my head I always figured if there is a 10x price difference (or more in the case of the GMax!) between the wines that there must be some kind of extreme difference in the fruit, style, wine quality, etc that the market has recognized. to see that the vdF can compare favorably sometimes is good to know!

That glass looks completely oxidised Klaus.

The fruit for Von der Fels is really high class. Often from Morstein or Brunnenhäuschen (Abtserde). It varies each year, but the info can be obtained.

Never saw an oxidized Riesling.
I agree it is darker than the age indicates, but many 2006 are like that

You can see one in the glass there Claus. Open an '06 under screwcap! Riesling under cork has just as many problems as Chardonnay.

Umm…no.

Hi David,

We had massive problems with Riesling oxidising in Australia in the '90’s. Almost on mass, all producers switched to screwcap between 2001 and 2004. No oxidation since. No Umm…no’s about it.

Best Regards
Jeremy

That color in a Riesling with botrytis isn’t concerning at all and certainly isn’t evidence of oxidation.
A

That does not mean Germany and Austria had issues. I open tons of aged Riesling every year. Other than random poor corks there is not an oxidation issue with German or Austrian Riesling. TCA is another matter!

Yeah Ive had plenty of dark 2006s, a Grunhaus BA was almost mahogany coloured. But had no oxidation on the palate.

I was fortunate to visit Heymann Lowenstein in 2018 when they were doing a tasting of 2008s that were bottled under both screw cap and cork. It was a great comparison because other than closure they were the same wine and both had been stored at the winery since bottling. Both were great wines but very different. The screw cap showed very little evolution where as the cork was just hitting that point when an older perfectly stored dry Riesling starts to show many different characteristics.