TN: 2013 Domaine Huet - Vouvray Pétillant Brut (France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray)

2013 Domaine Huet Vouvray Pétillant Brut - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray Pétillant (6/13/2019)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –

Bright pale yellow color. Bubbles mostly dissipated within a few minutes of opening. Dry and crisp. Very nice, but lacking anything that would mark it as “special.” Paired well with gazpacho.

I don’t usually think there’s much to this wine. The Reserve can be a lot better, even impressive.

I was not aware there is a reserve; I’ll keep an eye out for it. About how much should I expect to spend on it?

Two times it has happened in a wine shop in very different parts of France that I have inquired about this wine and got the response of “I think there are better or more interesting buys” from the shopkeeper. Apparently it’s not the favorite wine of many no matter how well-liked the still wines of Huet are.

I had three of the 2009 Domaine Huet Vouvray Pétillant Réserve Brut. The first was just good. By the time they had a couple years more in bottle they really improved enough so that I just picked up six from Envoyer. At $38 I thought it well worth the price. Maybe they suffer some bottle shock from the transport and just need some settling.

The Petillant Brut can be superb and ages extremely well. Unfortunately, '13 was a difficult vintage for them.

I’ve had different vintages of this a few times. It’s pretty good, but it’s closer to Prosecco than Champagne both in style and as a wine experience.

So I think it’s pretty good and decent QPR as long as your expectations are reasonable.

Yep. I major step up in quality. We drank a few of the '09 Reserve on a recent trip to the Loire and they were outstanding. Also enjoyed the Jacky Blot & Pinon Pettilant.

I’ve not tried the '13 but I’ve had some fantastic bottles of this from several vintages back to '98. The Reserve is outstanding, particularly the '09.