TN: 2004 DRC La Tache

Several guys met last night for a great dinner and company at Atlas.
We had a couple of very nice 2015 whites.

2015 Ramonet Batard Montrachet that opened with some sulfur funk and notes of wood but rounded into an amazingly delicious vivacious wine
with an hour in the glass.
2015 Phillipe Colin Chevalier-Montrachet that showed some reduced qualities on opening and plump fruit but really focused and became elegant and mineral with air.

Both really nice with scallop.

We had a bottle of 2009 Fourrier Gevrey Chambertin Clos St Jacques that was open for business. Darker fruit with a sexy texture. Quite ripe, open and so delicious!

The star of the night was the following.

2004 DRC La Tache

This one opened with some notes of briary red fruit and intense spice. A peacocks tail of complexity on the nose. It expanded and changed through the night.
The palate is intense and savory. Red fruit with a very slight herbacious underpinning. A tremendous finishing complexity that lingers forever. A profound experience. Thanks Rob for the taste! A complete success in a very difficult vintage.

We had a fun night. The DRC was stunning.

Thanks Don.

The '04 La Tache is not just a good wine for the vintage, it is a very good La Tache.

Specials tx to all and especially Rob That was my 1st La Tache!

all the 04 from the domaine are beautiful wines and have been drinking perfectly for the last 5 years. Very precocious for DRC’s, and the Montrachet has always been stunning.Glad you enjoyed it.

the only green with 04 La Tâche is what you have to fork over to buy it. All the 04 DRC are a great success.

Don,

Thanks. Great notes.

I like Philippe Colin wines, but don’t see them discussed so much. It’s interesting you put one against a Ramonet and, it seems, it performed quite well. What is your opinion of the wines of this domains?

I personally love them. The style is very pure with some oak that absorbs quickly with aging.
I have had good success but I know some who
worry about oxidation. Same with Ramonet.

Thanks, Don.

Thanks for the notes, Don. At the 2004 Don Cornwell blind tasting a few years ago the La Tache was easy to spot with its brilliant color and strength of flavors and aromas. Maybe it’s time to try a 2004 DRC.

Tasted this from magnum at a very special tasting in France a couple of months ago and all I can say is this was amazing.