TN: 2013 Chester's Anvil Hattori Hanzo (USA, California, Napa Valley)

2013 Chester’s Anvil Hattori Hanzo - USA, California, Napa Valley (8/18/2019)
This seems to be finally settling into a nice place. It’s not mature by any means, but it has good definition, and carries its black fruit and spice tones very well. The structure is in balance with the fruit, there’s a touch of silkiness, but it never goes over to the gloppy side. It’s a touch plummy, but not pruney. Ridiculous value for $17 when Carole Meredith was blowing out the last few cases earlier this year.

Posted from CellarTracker

Exactly what is in the blend here David?

Exactly? I have no idea.

It is based on Cabernet Sauvignon, and also has Cab Franc, Merlot and I believe a bit of Syrah. There may be PV and Malbec as well.

I got my sons - Kill Bill aficionados - a case to start their cellars on a Berserkerday special. They both love it.

I checked in on one Yesterday and agree with your take. In a much better place although I will wait another six months before checking in again. It’s heading in the right direction.

Having this today. What a great wine for $17. Wish I had more than the 5 I have left.

I concur, very good description. I still have a bunch left. I enjoy the wine but it leaves me yearning for less fruit and more acid (akin to other Lagier Meredith). I still think it needs more time.

I opened a 2012 a few months ago and it was drinking really well. I’m sure I have some of the 2013 here somewhere.

Dang, sounds like I went through a 6 of this and a 6 of the zin too fast. They were enjoyable, though, and helped defend others on the racks.

Another Turk? Are you my long lost relative?

I have lots more to test that theory. :slight_smile:

Thanks very much for this. I also bought a case at the incredible price you mentioned.
I have opened a number of bottles, and I have consistently found this wanted to be a bit “difficult.“ It has some nice fruit, but it feels very wound up and not quite settled. I will likely try one sometime before the end of the year, but I think they really do need a fair bit of time to resolve.

$17. Wow.

These needed a little time but are now hitting their stride!!! Yes, ridiculous QPR at the blow-out price.