The end of Cabernet in Napa Valley?

Thoughts?

Andy Beckstoffer not concerned… maybe because he’s already made all the money he needs in this lifetime

If they will be able to sell Charbono and Alicante at 2,000% markup like they do with Cabernet, they’ll plant it widely. Until that happens, it’ll be Napa Cabs, just like always.
On the positive, maybe this will give some impetus to pick on the less ripe side again?

I don’t know the AVA rules, but watch for Pope Valley and Chiles Valley “Napa” cabs?

If something significant doesn’t happen on a global scale, I suspect which grapes are growing in Napa will be the least of our concerns 30 years from now.

And, while I’m a fan of many of the varieties discussed in the article, a lot of Napa wineries are going to have to change their business models if they’re going to make a go at selling zin, barbera, or aglianico heavy red wine blends. It’s hard to imagine there’s a large group of consumers willing to pay $150+ per bottle for that.

The end of Cabernet? Not likely. Vines will adapt, some will die. Over the next 20 years that is. Mendocino or Lake counties will be more likely to expand…

If it gets too hot to grow Cabernet in Rutherford, would you plant it in Yountville and Carneros. Wine regions all over the world are likely going to have to make these types of changes.

Which winery will buy Angel Island and create a new AV, with helipad?

Replace the vines with gourmet pot?

They’ll need more restaurants.

France being proactive-
“But now, seven more varieties are INAO-approval away from joining the list: four reds — Arinarnoa, Castets, Marselan, and Touriga Nacional — and three whites — Alvarinho, Liliorila, and Petit Manseng.
Listed as varieties “of interest for adapting to climate change,”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/wine/these-seven-grape-varieties-could-help-bordeaux-wine-survive-climate-change/ar-AAGOfvr?li=BBnb7Kw

That Arinarnoa is going to be big!