Which wines to bring back from Europe?

I’m headed to London, Lyon, Piedmont, and Munich next month. Are there any well-regarded wines that are significantly less expensive in Europe than in the states? My local wine shop told me to keep an eye out for Domaine Tempier single vineyard bottlings, and for stuff in Kermit Lynch’s portfolio, but are there other gems I should look out for?

Roulot, Coche, Raveneau, lots of white Burgs. Not sure you’ll find them at retail though, but wine list pricing is usually below US retail.

In Italy I’d recommend that you buy any Accomasso that you can find. I think I paid €55 for a bottle of his Barolo that sells for $225 here in the US. I’d also recommend Poggio di Sotto, Emidio Pepe, and Bartolo Mascarello.

Not sure why you’d look for things in Kermit’s portfolio but Wine Searcher works in Europe right? So you can check prices while you’re there if you see something you like.

Agree with Greg. Be flexible, and do your research real-time.

Another thing to consider; sometimes wines of one region sell in another region for far less.

Over the last 20 years, the price differentials for wines with the most cachet have, to a large degree, been arbitraged. The last time I was in Piedmont three years ago (and on prior visits over the preceding 10 years) I found few bottles that were enough cheaper to be worth the hassle of lugging them back.

That said, I’m told that in Paris you can find good deals on some small producers.

London is generally not the place to find deals. Prices on most things are higher than in the US, in part because of the 17% VAT.

Kermit and Neal Rosenthal have a reputation for taking relatively high markups, though that’s not by any means universal across their portfolios.

20%. Though that only further proves your point.

Good luck if you want to find other Accomasso bottles for 55€…
This is another producer which was affordable until a few years ago, whose prices have literally exploded within one or two years.

Except there is no VAT if the wine is sold in Bond and brought over by an importer.

That’s right. I’m out of date. It used to be lower than in Continental jurisdictions. And even then, everything was more expensive in London!

True, but you don’t need to go to the UK to buy wine that way; you can get it shipped. The wine generally available in retail stores in the UK is likely to have the VAT paid.

I think the Kermit Lynch advice isn’t bad imho.

I’d concentrate on those wines not available in the States.
You can generally get a VAT refund, as long as you bring the bottles out of the EU and the merchant is willing to do the paperwork required.

Yes.

Sounds like I’ll only pick up a British sparkling while in London then and save the rest for my other stops. Anyone got any suggestions for wine shops in Lyon, Turin/Piedmont, or Munich?

I think we need to acknowledge that the days of finding a wine in Europe for 50 euro that is $295 in the US are pretty much over. Maybe you get lucky, but probably not. Now you can find bargains/deals but they are likely to be $30-$50 savings. Or wines that are very hard to find at any price. Some things that I would look for and depending on the price, might purchase.

E. Vatan - Sancerre Clos la Neore
B. Mascarello - almost any wine
G. Rinaldi - almost any wine

For sure check out Muraato in Lyon and La Vite Turchese in the town of Barolo. Ask for Stefano if he is in. You will not be disappointed. Definitely plan to taste at his shop in Barolo. Amazing wines by the glass and a great selection in the back to buy.

There are a number of very good shops in the center of Alba.

There are a number of very good shops in the center of Alba.

In Lyon, I had some luck at Antic. It was 10+ years ago though.