OK to store long-term in OWC?

Hi all,

I just got my first ever delivery of wine in original wood cases. See photo below. Future me is very excited!

I don’t plan on cracking the first bottle for at least five years, and probably closer to ten. However, I’m wondering if it’s okay to keep them for the long term in the unopened wood box.

A bit of internet searching revealed no consensus on this topic. Seems like a lot of people store for the long term in the unopened wood box. Others think that it’s better from an air circulation point of view to open up the box, at least on one side. I’m sure there are plenty of others still who open up the boxes to try out a bottle (trying to avoid this).

What do you all think? I’d much rather keep them in the unopened boxes, tbh - less temptation that way plus better for long-term storage. But I don’t want to wreck my precious elixir.

Thanks
TK
IMG_8090.JPG

OK !

100% OK, vast majority of my wine is stored in OWC

Good to go

It’s fine. It’s also preferred if you ever decide to sell.

They are great for stacking for long term storage. They suck for moving things around often so when you break them open I would transfer the bottles to boxes or racks if you can.

I’d probably open them (a) to try one of each – you have a case, so monitor the evolution!; and (b) I’d want to make sure nothing is amiss that could be fixed now but not in a few years time (stuff happens!)

But there is zero risk aging them in the OWC. Forget anything you may have read on the internet. Except for this.

It’s perfectly fine to leave them in OWC

I have been taking the paper off of the bottles before putting the boxes in the cellar. Necessary?

I opened a case of 1986 last year. While the wine is fine, some of the labels had fallen off and some had become speckled, probably from humidity.

No not really, unless your cellar has super high humidity (over 80%)

If you are handy with a flat head screwdriver you can pry the top off to check the contents and then tap it back into place. You can usually get it all off in one piece and then tap the staples back into their original holes.

What’s up with the case of Gordon’s Gin or Vodka?

Odd cellar occupant.

It’s gordonswine.com

+1. Have read stories of 11 bottles, bad fills, even a lesser wine being in the box. Check, then store as long as you want.

That’s what I am saying

I store my wines the Gordon’s Wine & Spirits offsite storage warehouse near Boston! I use their boxes.

Yes, if it were a case of vodka, I think my site credentials would get revoked. [snort.gif]

Gordon’s does a great job - full endorsement for anyone considering their services.

Makes way more sense than it being a doomsday stash of well liquors.

People have been storing in OWCs for centuries, with problems being extremely rare. Yes, it is theoretically possible that you could buy a case of Lafite, it looks fine in its stamped OWC, but when your granddaughter opens the first bottle 43 years later, it’s Chateau Horsep*ss in the box, from Sainte-foy-bordeaux. But not if you have bought from a reputable source.

Put the cases in cool storage and leave them there until you want to drink or sell.

I though Gordon’s was sick likker, not well liquor.

Dan Kravitz

That is one sad looking locker, mostly empty, couple of cases strewn randomly. Get to work! :wink:

I would store in the OWC. Now if they were banded boxes of DRC, I would not cut the bands, as that would drive the value down.

If you haven’t tried those wines (ones in the picture) I would open and try a bottle. Good wine can get better, bad wine never gets better.