TN: 2012 Robert Mondavi Winery Fumé Blanc To-Kalon I Block

• 2012 Robert Mondavi Winery Fumé Blanc To-Kalon I Block - USA, California, Napa Valley (8/16/2019)
    Has it really been 4yrs since I last test drove this? Almost through 2 cases of the 12 reserve…the I Block just takes it to a whole other level! Very similar fruit profile in the two…peach, melon, grapefruit…a unique tropical flare to it with lemon grass, coconut creme, waxy banana skin…bright and zippy citrus acidity, stony minerality, and a slight petrol nuance. But it’s the MINERALITY in the I Block that really makes it the most amazing white wine made in Ca. imo. The 74yr old vines struggling to go deeper and deeper to find water and nutrients to survive in the tiny dry farmed vineyard. Salty, chalky, pulverized flintstone…little spicy, smoky…perfectly intermingled with the ripe fruits, and amazing florals…even some herb garden, and white honey butter thrown in for extra complexity. No signs of age…fresh as can be…a true pleasure to drink this history in a glass! (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Great, great Sauvignon Blanc. Thanks for the note!

Haven’t had this wine in years but the bottle Scott Rich’s wife, Marta, who was a marketing exec at Mondavi at the time opened for me at dinner in Healdsburg a bazillion years ago totally knocked my socks off.

The new bottle sucks. Wine’s still great.

Btw…the 2013 vintage of this wasn’t made…heard a rumor that the winemaker Genevieve Janssens botched it, and they had to dump the juice? Anyone have any insight on this?

LOVE the old frosted bottle! They had problems with the label not sticking so they came up with this one. [blush2.gif]

Buzz,

I think you and I are the only people in recent history to post on older Mondavi Fume’s here and on old Parker board.

What a treat so many are missing.

I know! [highfive.gif] It is SUCH a unique wine…I just love the fact that NO other wine in Ca. tastes like it…well…not that I’ve had. A treasure for sure!
Someone on CT let me know that they heard in the reserve tasting room recently that they planned on replanting the I Block SB with Cab??? I quickly squashed that rumor! Not true.

2014, 2015 & 2016 are for sale in the Mondavi Tasting room at $90 per bottle. Picked up the 2014 to compare to the 2014 Rochioli Old Vines.

Before I even clicked on it I guessed this was a Buzz note. And a great one at that. I’ve never had this wine but it sounds amazing.

How does it compare to those 1999 bottles?

This sounds great, but I can’t find the bottle for sale on wine-searcher. Is there another similar wine (even if it’s younger) that’s a bit more readily available?

Here’s some photos of the wine in its youth. While it was very primary, it was still very good!

Cheers,
Warren
IMG_3533.jpg
IMG_3531.jpg
IMG_3529.jpg

Jordan,

I believe it is only available for purchase in their tasting room.

Cheers,
Warren

+1 It sucks that this is the only way they retail the wine. If it could be shipped I would order 6 bottles a year. I have never tasted another SB that has the gravitas that this wine has. Any other nominations for an equivalent wine? the other bonus is that the price never really escalates that much, this is the price for several years. It is a mystery to me how this does not sell out immediately every year. Never had many of the Dagueneau wines in their prime/ Anyone compare the Silex or others to the Mondavi To Kalon?

The Reserve Fume Blanc.

Reminds me more of BDX SBs, than Loire.

Well…if you get a clear fresh looking bottle of the 99, it is a richer, more oak spiced wine…slightly less citrus cut than the 12…and of course with age comes a better integration, and deeper complexities. If you can find an 04…off the charts!!! [worship.gif]

Goodness, we loved the 2012 so much last night with my wife’s homemade tamales. I’m beyond 95 on this wine, more like WOTY stuff.

Good to know Doc! I’ve only got 6 bottles left, back to 1995, so another one to add to the mix when we get together again! [cheers.gif]