TN: 2017 Renardat-Fâche Vin du Bugey-Cerdon (France, Savoie, Vin du Bugey-Cerdon)

It’s so bloody hot lately, like 90 at 7pm hot, so it’s been a sparkler and white wine diet for me lately. This Bugey rose from Renardat Fache is so much fun- chill it down and rip into it. Perfect on a hot night.

• 2017 Renardat-Fâche Vin du Bugey-Cerdon - France, Savoie, Vin du Bugey-Cerdon (8/16/2019)
    So Easy to drink on a hot day, with a nice chill on the bottle. Joy flows from the bottle. Off dry, but light and refreshing. This one has toned down a bit form the spring. It is shedding some of that upfront strawberry candy sweetness and showing more au naturale wit a wiry-vinuous finish. Fun stuff on a steamy night.

Posted from CellarTracker

Love that wine.

Oh the good old days. I think I drank about 100 bottles of that from 2001-2005.

+1

This was a regular end of shift glass/bottle as I transitioned from restaurants to production in that same era.

I was not on board then. I will say, Mike Evans brought a '13 of this to dinner a few months back and it was a revelation. I always thought to drink these within a year or so from release…maybe not?

I really like this stuff Dennis. I have a few from a couple of years ago and they are very nice. A refreshing drink.

A perennial favorite, iirc Chris Coad at one point described it as the most talked about wine on the internet circa 1999 or so.

Intriguing! Thanks for posting. This is one I’ve never heard of — it looks and sounds nice. Is it purely fruity, or are there some other tones, as well?

It is pretty fruit forward. This 17 is showing a lot of upfront fruit now. But it’s light and refreshing, the upfront red fruit is definitely backed by acidity and some tart-cidery tones.

Yes, while fitting into the fun, sweetish summer wine category it has enough other notes to add both complexity and interest.

Me, too. We all agreed then that you can’t help but smile when you drink it. The perfect hot weather sipper.

There was another Bugey around then, but I cannot recall the name. It was also quite good, but less “fun.”

Kermit Lynch brings in one from Bottex, which has a little less Poulsard and a little more Gamay.

“Pure joy in a bottle!”

It’s funny we have been drinking these for a long time now, and I have no idea if it ages more than a couple years. My recollection is: it did not used to get a vintage designation officially; and vintage wasn’t anywhere on the old label. So you would have had to keep track of different releases if cellaring to know what you had.

Yep. Decent. But not as good.

That was it. Enjoyable, but not joyful.

Had the Bottex in my hand yesterday, around $20 in these parts. It’s a fun buy, but agreed it’s not the RF, which I have more of so I passed on the Bottex.

The Bottex is sweeter. I don’t like it as well as the Renardat-Fache. Not as complex. FWIW.

Just a heads up if you were wanting to learn more about the region, Wink Lorch just released her new book on the ‘Wines of the French Alps’, has been a good read so far. https://winetravelmedia.com/shop/

Renardat-Fache is in there with a 1 page producer profile and a few other mentions.

Stunning part of the world.

Agree with you and everyone else on Bottex vs RF