Health and white wine

When whites undergo skin contact, do they gain some of the healthy antioxidants that red wine is known for from the skins?

I dont want this to be another “is alcohol healthy or not” thread, just curious if anyone knows for sure about the skin contact vs non skin contact whites specifically!

No.

Anthocyanins are antioxidants. They are what give red grapes their coloring.

Resveratrol is another that has rec’d a lot of press. The darker the grape and thicker the skin, the more anthocyanins and the more resveratrol. Red grapes also have quercetin, which is another antioxidant.

Dark berries like blackberries and blueberries are also sources.

But not to worry. There is not absolute agreement that resveratrol is really all that great for you anyway, so if you like white wine, you’re good.

And there are studies that suggest it’s the alcohol itself that may be beneficial.

I don’t drink wine for health benefits though. [cheers.gif]

[wow.gif] [swoon.gif]

I’m doubting this when you consider all the diseases and problems alcoholism causes, not to mention drunk drivers causing innocent deaths, increased suicide, shootings, and injuries caused by drinking too much.

Still, it’d be nice if orange wines had some other benefit other than their color. [wink.gif]

It’s not that you’re supposed to become intoxicated, just that some studies say moderate alcohol can be beneficial. And not only wine. First time I heard of it, the study involved Scandinavians and vodka.

There is a lot of controversy though. For example, some people suggest that the socio-economic level of the people studied had more to do with their health than the alcohol they consumed. But the gist is that a little bit is not such a bad thing.

From the Mayo Clinic:

Moderate alcohol consumption may provide some health benefits, such as:

• Reducing your risk of developing and dying from heart disease
    Possibly reducing your risk of ischemic stroke (when the arteries to your brain become narrowed or blocked, causing severely reduced blood flow)
    Possibly reducing your risk of diabetes

And of course there are studies claiming just the opposite. You may get some cardio benefits, but you increase your cancer risk, etc.

I’m not advocating one way or another. One of the big problems is that most of the “studies” are based on self-reporting. Last year there was a big splash when someone came out with a review of all prior research and announced that any alcohol at all is harmful. But that was quickly criticized. So who knows? [scratch.gif]

BTW, as far as drunk driving, I’m with you, but I’m thinking that more and more it’s texting and driving, and just as bad, Google Maps and driving.

Anyhow, here are a few studies if anyone cares. There are plenty of them should you want to look around:

Camargo CA, Stampfer MJ, Glynn RJ, Gaziano JM, Manson JE, Goldhaber SZ, Hennekens CH. Prospective study of moderate alcohol consumption and risk of peripheral arterial disease in US male physicians. Circulation

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/01.CIR.95.3.577

Solomon CG, Hu FB, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA, Speizer FE, Rimm EB, Willett WC, Manson JE. Moderate alcohol consumption and risk of coronary heart disease among women with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Circulation

Moderate alcohol consumption and risk of coronary heart disease among women with type 2 diabetes mellitus - PubMed - Although potential risks of alcohol consumption must be considered, these data suggest that moderate alcohol consumption is associated with reduced CHD risk in women with diabetes and should not be routinely discouraged.

Klatsky AL, Armstrong MA, Friedman GD. Risk of cardiovascular mortality in alcohol drinkers, ex-drinkers and nondrinkers. American Journal of Cardiology

Koppes LL, Dekker JM, Hendriks HF, Bouter LM, Heine RJ. Moderate alcohol consumption lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis of prospective observational studies. Diabetes Care

Mukamal KJ, Maclure M, Muller JE, Sherwood JB, Mittleman MA.Prior alcohol consumption and mortality following acute myocardial infarction. JAMA

Prior alcohol consumption and mortality following acute myocardial infarction - PubMed - moderate alcohol consumption in the year prior to AMI is associated with reduced mortality following infarction, but they didn’t make any conclusions regarding post cardiac events.

Mukamal KJ, Conigrave KM, Mittleman MA, Camargo Jr CA, Stampfer MJ, Willett WC, Rimm EB. Roles of drinking pattern and type of alcohol consumed in coronary heart disease in men. New England Journal of Medicine

Roles of drinking pattern and type of alcohol consumed in coronary heart disease in men - PubMed - moderate drinking inversely associated with myocardial infarction

Mukamal KJ, Chung H, Jenny NS, Kuller LH, Longstreth Jr WT, Mittleman MA, Burke GL, Cushman M, Psaty BM, Siscovick DS. Alcohol consumption and risk of coronary heart disease in older adults: the Cardiovascular Health Study. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society

Alcohol consumption and risk of coronary heart disease in older adults: the Cardiovascular Health Study - PubMed - moderate weekly intake of wine, beer, or liquor was associated with lower risk of cardiovascular problems than complete abstinance

Booyse FM, Pan W, Grenett HE, Parks DA, Darley-Usmar VM, Bradley KM, Tabengwa EM. Mechanism by which alcohol and wine polyphenols affect coronary heart disease risk. Annals of epidemiology (This goes to the OP.)

Most of the stuff is epidemiological data, since nobody is ever going to do a long-term prospective trial, which is what would be required to definitively show or suggest a causal relation.

[scratch.gif]

White wine has been shown to increase the odds of fish or chicken for dinner by as much as 67%.

soo… white wine IS healthy then

Oh…bravo for that post. [worship.gif]

Scott wins this thread. [worship.gif]

Totally.

[thumbs-up.gif]

Alc. CAN HAVE a positive influence on health (especially but not exclusively red wine) - but it´s always a question of quantity. Too much is too much (incl. when driving), and that is far less than a bottle per day.

Regarding ‘moderate alcohol consumption’ - As well as the obvious affluence correlation I have long felt that the moderate aspect of it was a marker for control and self discipline generally.

That is absolutely TRUE !
Actually I hate “really drunk persons” - those that cannot stand and speak anymore, they don´t know any limit.