TN: 2000 Trimbach Riesling Cuvée Frédéric Emile Vendanges Tardives

2000 Trimbach Riesling Cuvée Frédéric Emile Vendanges Tardives - France, Alsace (8/13/2019)
Getting towards nineteen years from an indifferent vintage, is this premoxed or just oxed…

Deep golden orange color, verging on copper - there’s a ton of botrytis as well as candied orange peel and dried spice on the nose. It’s flat on the palate, with no structural edges to hold onto. The flavors, initially interesting from an aged perspective, become tiring after just a few sips.

2000 is not a top vintage for Trimbach, or Alsace for that matter. There’s also the looming specter of mistreatment by the regional distributor, so it’s hard to separate time, vintage character and provenance. I’ll just open another soon, and hope for the best.

Posted from CellarTracker

Ugh! I’ve a couple of these in the remote storage. I’ll check in on 1 soon.

Btw, 2 bottles drank from my 2000 Homage a Jeanne Trimbach stash didn’t work out well for me, either.

However, my experiences with early 2000s vintages of the regular CFE was much more positive for the 2000 than the 2001/2002/2004, which are good in their own rights and even in spite of the delicious year-over-year accessibility of the 2002 and after a bunch of premoxed 2001 halves. The 2000 CFE simply had that extra mineral and acidic punch that I like, up until a bottle I had last year.

I vastly prefer 2001 and 2002 over the 2000. I am especially fond of the 2002 CFE. I actively dislike the 2004.

Sorry to hear. The 2001 375er was magnificent last month. So inspiring to age and reap reward of mature, living wine. As you well know that was a real gift from the old Parker board collective intelligence. Inspires me to open a 2005 Nigl privat and see if the collective brain hit on that one as well

The 375th being a gift of the Parker board collective?

Huh?

Anyone who had even a clue about Trimbach knew it was going to be something different/special.

I’ve had the 2000 CFE 6-8 times over the last 10 years or so, and all have been pretty thrilling.

The 2000 CFE simply had that extra mineral and acidic punch” — exactly.

I’ve enjoyed the 01 CFE too, but the bottles have been more variable.

Ramon, you brought my first CFE to Allegretti’s a ways back now, I recall it was the 99. Great stuff. John Dawson chimed in on our thread, saying the 00 CFE was a mini-Clos St Hune, so I bought a bunch.

The more I read about the various experiences people have had with these wines, the more I believe that the issue is with the various distribution channels.

David, did you get any premoxed 02s? I cancelled an order of 02 half bottles after reading about Dale and Ramon’s poxed 375s.

What do you dislike about 04? We had a magnum last year and people loved it.

I’ve only had the 2000 CFE (not VT) once. I’m liked it but it was somewhat soft/low acid compared to others. Very fresh, though. I’ve never had a single oxidized CFE which is why I’ve wondered if there is something going on with different importers.

I had the regular 2002 CFE from 0,75 a
few weeks ago, and it was absolutely stunning.

I’ve had it three or four times, and always found an astringent/bitter element on the finish that I hate.

Even if my premoxed were 2001s in 375s, and I would be gun shy in going for more halves, even in other vintages. So, I would think it was a good idea on your end.

Btw, I’ve had many, and continue to keep, 2002s in 750s and they were all good (no premoxed to date).

edited: you mentioned John Dawson, a great person and expert wine-enthusiast. RIP.

I think it was Tom Stevenson, who wrote a story with reviews about Trimbach in The World of Fine Wine, and trashed some relatively young Trimbach wines in half bottles.

I think 08 is the best FE since 01 375eme. I’ve had 08 six times this year. Stunning every time.

I am also a big fan of the 2008. I actually really like the 2007 as well. It’s quite steely.

David, where did you buy your 2000 CFE VT? I think mine are from old Garnet. I’ll have to pull one over the next few months. Have liked it from other cellars previously even if somewhat soft compared to other vintages.

The 2001 375er CFE is a wine I’ve always loved and have a few bottles of, but I’ve heard a report from a highly trusted source in Europe that this one has suffered the pox problems that have affected CSH.

I had two sources for my 2000 CFE, one in Massachusetts. The other in New Jersey. The Mass bottles have all suffered. The Jersey bottles have been fine.

The Mass retailer is impeccable. The distributor is not.

No issues with 2001 CFE 375 or CSH.

Hmmm. Now concerned. My 2001 375er is from the Wine and Cheese Cask in Somerville, MA (on release).

On release might be good. The particular distributor had lots of inventory. It was not treated well IMO.