Question re 2017 PYCM Corton Charlemagne

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
pnitze
Posts: 63
Joined: February 13th, 2012, 7:32 am

Question re 2017 PYCM Corton Charlemagne

#1 Post by pnitze » August 13th, 2019, 6:51 pm

I have a question for William Kelley and others who have tracked the PYCM wines for several vintages, particularly the Corton Charlemagne. This was an amazing wine five years ago, particularly when you could get it for $80-90 per bottle. Those days are gone. My question is whether quality has slipped a bit in recent vintages? I see that William gave it 90 points in 2017, lower than Tanzer and a few other critics. I also see that PYCM is making more of it, because he has now leased vines on the Pernand side, whereas in the past he was making it from a smaller parcel on the Aloxe side, or at least that’s my understanding. If the quality has slipped a little, is that because of the new fruit source or am I imagining things? I will say I haven’t tasted the 2017 yet, so have no personal opinion.
P@ul N!tze

User avatar
Jeremy Holmes
Posts: 6542
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 3:50 pm

Re: Question re 2017 PYCM Corton Charlemagne

#2 Post by Jeremy Holmes » August 13th, 2019, 9:10 pm

Hi Paul,

Tasted it from barrel last year and bottle this year with Pierre-Yves. An outstanding wine that should age particularly well.

Cheers
Jeremy
ITB

User avatar
Larry Link
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 515
Joined: August 13th, 2010, 10:42 am

Re: Question re 2017 PYCM Corton Charlemagne

#3 Post by Larry Link » August 13th, 2019, 9:14 pm

The source of the PYCM CC has changed every year from 2013 to 2017. He still manages to make great wine year in and year out, so I wouldn’t worry about 2017. In fact reading about the 2017 change it sounds like he has more control than ever on the vineyard decisions.

User avatar
Larry Link
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 515
Joined: August 13th, 2010, 10:42 am

Re: Question re 2017 PYCM Corton Charlemagne

#4 Post by Larry Link » August 13th, 2019, 9:17 pm

Here’s Tanzer’s comment about the 2017:

Pierre-yves Colin-morey Corton-charlemagne Grand Cru White) (Colin has added more fruit on the Pernand side to this cuvée– now about 70% of the total, with the other 30% from Aloxe-Corton--and the owner in Pernand lets him work all of his vines):

Rauno E (NZ)
Posts: 1456
Joined: March 13th, 2012, 12:32 am

Re: Question re 2017 PYCM Corton Charlemagne

#5 Post by Rauno E (NZ) » August 13th, 2019, 9:34 pm

CCs all seem to have more or less doubled in price the last few years. Pricing of the PYCMs is at the higher end, which I'm unconvinced is warranted. Several 1ers in the stable appear to me to be more consistent, better wines, and for the money you can buy Puligny/Chassagne GCs that I like a good deal more. I'm also dropping purchases of the H Boillot version for similar reasons and the added curse of high "advanced" incidence over the last 10 years.
Rauno Engel

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”