Rreally Rrandom wines

A mixed bag after a working team meeting in Chicago. Not very many wines noted, because most were things I import (sigh). I do have a plan to get more OPW (Other People’s Wines), hopefully will be posting more this fall.

Rreally Rrandom wines

2012 Copain Chardonnay Anderson Valley ‘Tous Ensemble’ – The color is pale straw, very young. The aromas are surprisingly faint and rather simple, but still appealing with lemon, hay and something a little floral. The palate is better, with excellent muscular texture, belying the aromas. The flavors are slightly more complex, but still far from a panoply. The balance and vigor are excellent. Rated 91.5, up to 2 points of improvement possible over the next 3 – 5 years. This one’s built to last. Purchased on the spot for $22, very good value.

1995 Chateau Fortia Chateauneuf-du-Pape (from magnum) – Color no paler than expected, nice secondary aromas feature earth and slightly faint red cherries. Surprisingly light on the palate, but without the Burgundian finesse I hope to find in Chateauneuf past maturity. The texture is quite light and pleasant, albeit with a little more graininess than I would like for something of this weight. The flavors don’t show age, but there’s simply not much there. I expected more intensity and more meat on the bones. Rated 85.5, drink up fast, especially in 750ml.

2000 Cafaro Merlot (from magnum) – Deep ruby color. Aromas fully secondary, broad, featuring plums, earth, iron, with a touch of conifer. The palate is rich, balanced, tannins almost resolved, fine intensity of fruit, medium bodied, glossy texture. I am not a big fan of Merlot, especially unblended, especially New World, but this is really excellent. Still slightly young in magnum, probably beautifully mature in 750ml. Rated 92.

2013 Calathus Cabernet Sauvignon –
Non-commercial post. I used to import this producer, received a few bottles as samples some years ago, never brought this in:
Healthy deep crimson color. The aromas have moderate intensity and are classic… red currant, black raspberry and a whiff of graphite. The palate is medium to full bodied, fine texture, healthy fruits, mixed red and black are in harmony. This has some pungency, a moderately high level of fairly fine tannins, a faint touch of oak flavor, adding to the tannins. Very good stuff, still young but with enough secondary character to go well with an Asian chicken stir-fry. Rated 89, up to 2 points of improvement likely.

Dan Kravitz

I had a nice old Cafaro once, believe it was a cabernet at around 10-12 years of age that was really nice. Don’t hear about them too much, but used to see them around more in the 1990’s.