Napa wine tastings for my wife

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Dave Nerland
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Napa wine tastings for my wife

#51 Post by Dave Nerland » August 14th, 2019, 2:06 pm

Opus One is a beautiful facility. If you know someone (other than just making appointment) you will taste in a private room, or go on the roof. Mondavi also offers nice wines, similar to Montelena or Beringer.

Albert R

#52 Post by Albert R » August 14th, 2019, 6:42 pm

Here goes:
Schramsberg was a big MEH for us. A one and done.....
Mumms on the patio was much more fun and I was visiting with my wife, daughters and niece
Shafer was disappointing for a few reasons. Chimney Rock was a 100 times better experience and tasting.
Mending Wall was very good
Frogs Leap is also a very good option
Cheers,

@. Re-go

Jeff_M.

#53 Post by Jeff_M. » August 14th, 2019, 7:22 pm

Rich Salsano wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 7:35 am
Schramsberg, Ehlers Estate, Chappelet (the garden tour and tasting is really quite nice), Alpha Omega, Stony Hill, Failla (for delicious Sonoma pinots and chards but with a Napa based tasting room), Matthiasson.
+1 on Ehlers Estate. Every single wine they make is delish. Going up there next month for a tasting. Chappellet does a great tour and the tastings inside are also very neat. Will also be up at Chappellet next month for the Pritchard Hill release.
Jeff M 0 l l

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Randy Bowman » August 14th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Cliff Lede has some great wines and multiple options for tasting. Group of six needs to get reservations. Five or less can walk in. Christopher Tynan is the winemaker now and the wines are getting big scores. The Backstage tasting is $75 but includes the limited production wines.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Wade H

#55 Post by Wade H » August 14th, 2019, 11:45 pm

AndyK wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 7:29 pm
Joseph Phelps has very interesting tastings / seminars (private tasting, blending seminar, aroma challenge) that are fun and educational. Plus their Pinots (and dare I say, even Chards) have recently been on a very positive trajectory, in addition to the classic Napa Cabs...
A few years back my best friend and I attended a seminar at Phelps that was pointed towards people ITB, but he managed to get us in via a good friend that worked for Southern. If you can leverage some connections that was a really fun and educational session. I've enjoyed Phelps wines since I was a young lad in the 80s.
Wade H0$tl3r

Return to “Wine Talk”