What 5 Oregon Producers Do You Think Are Firing On All Cylinders Over the Past Few Vintages for Under $65?

I’m looking to increase Oregon pinot buys. Who are your top 5 producers with multiple wines under $65 a pop?

Edit: I have appeared to frustrate, anger, and stress out a few folks with the “5 Best Oregon Producers Under $65” so I’ve snowflaked the title in an effort to ensure that there are no long-term victims triggered by my previously offensive post title.

Mine with multiple under $65 (which excludes several good producers of course), and given it’s difficult to select a top 5 since that excludes a lotta good people…can substitute Kelley Fox and Walter Scott in here at any point…

Belle Pente
Goodfellow
J Christopher
Biggio Hamina
Andrew Rich

You should consider sampling on BerserkerDay as many of my favorites are usually on offer (marked with an asterisk). I like:

Goodfellow* (very high toned fruits)
Biggio Hamina* (you must like whole cluster)
Patricia Green* (loads of SVD offerings)
Eyrie (their top wines are more than you want to spend, but you could dollar cost average)
Vincent* (ok, I’m not sure if they are on BD, but I think so. Very reasonable prices)
McKinlay (I haven’t had a lot, but I’ve liked what I’ve had. Originally recommended to me by Marcus Goodfellow, they can be hard to find)
Belle Pente (try the Belle Pente Vineyard and the Murto)

You are going to get a lot of different ideas on this question. As for me:
Kelley Fox
Bergström
Brick House
J. K. Carriere
Thomas

That should get you started. Hope to finally meet you in October.

Michael

1 Like

Your profile picture is St Innocent and you didn’t include it in your list??

I would say Patricia Green for sure, Goodfellow, Kelley Fox, Walter Scott, St Innocent, Cristom, and Lingua Franca. (thats 6, but they all make great wine)

so many great choices under $65, thats why its one of my favorite wine regions!

Pretty sure 21 of 27 were under $65, 2 @ $65 and 2 @ 75 but a case discount would take those under $65 as well. One wine at $85 and one at $100 in the 2017 vintage (or a grand total of around 500 cases out of about 15,000 over $65 net).

1 Like

Folks whose wines I’ve had recently and thought they were just fantastic:
Mellen Meyer
Violin
Vincent
Johan
Twill

Add Cristom to the growing list.
sh!tty

1 Like

My first thought is Crowley. Second thought would be Colene Clemens (4 Pinots at $65 or under).

Disclaimer: My wife works at Colene Clemens

I did a quick search on CT of my Oregon pinot tasting notes, and the producers that appear more frequently at the top of my ratings that have great bottles that meet the price target are:

Big Table Farm
Patricia Green
Kelley Fox
Walter Scott

Am I the only one who thinks King Estates is pretty damn good and a lot of value?

Just wanted to point out if you purchase before September 9 from Vincent’s email list you are paying $35 and under. Worth checking out a fellow Berserker. [berserker.gif]

Haven’t had one in 10+ years. I’m assuming things have changed for the better?

Some pretty solid lists above.

RT

They used to be bad? My experience is just from a few bottles here and there over the last 5 years.

Second vote för Bergström. Very earthy Pinots. Excellent.

1 Like

Off the top of my head:
Thomas
Cameron
Evesham Wood
Walter Scott
Brick House

1 Like

Cameron
Evesham
Patricia Green
Arterberry
Eyrie

Many others but these are the ones that first come mind for me. Still need to try some of these, while there are others I’ve liked but am buying less of these days

2nd cristom. Really good pinots and pretty much all of them fall right under $65. Maybe one hits 70 but right in that range.

It’s not St. Innocent…it’s 2007 St. Innocent Momtazi…arguably the most divisive wine this forum’s Oregon fans have ever discussed.

It’s not good, by the way.

I used to drink a bunch of Oregon but it tailed off big time after I started having a bunch of kids. Now my wife and I drink more pinot and champagne than cabs and bordeaux, but the Oregon game has slipped past me and I’d like to try a good number of bottlings in a fair price range.

Based on my recent trip-

Patrica green
Big Table
Walter Scott
Bethel Heights
Kelley Fox

And others based on what I bought
Goodfellow
Cristom
Bergstrom

Cristom
Evening Land