What 5 Oregon Producers Do You Think Are Firing On All Cylinders Over the Past Few Vintages for Under $65?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7021
Joined: June 8th, 2011, 11:55 am
Location: Dallas

What 5 Oregon Producers Do You Think Are Firing On All Cylinders Over the Past Few Vintages for Under $65?

#1 Post by K John Joseph » August 13th, 2019, 1:36 pm

I'm looking to increase Oregon pinot buys. Who are your top 5 producers with multiple wines under $65 a pop?

Edit: I have appeared to frustrate, anger, and stress out a few folks with the "5 Best Oregon Producers Under $65" so I've snowflaked the title in an effort to ensure that there are no long-term victims triggered by my previously offensive post title.
Last edited by K John Joseph on August 14th, 2019, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J0hn-J-K4ne

User avatar
John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 887
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Portland OR

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#2 Post by John Osburn » August 13th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Mine with multiple under $65 (which excludes several good producers of course), and given it's difficult to select a top 5 since that excludes a lotta good people...can substitute Kelley Fox and Walter Scott in here at any point...

Belle Pente
Goodfellow
J Christopher
Biggio Hamina
Andrew Rich

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 26572
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Certainly NOT Orlando

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#3 Post by Corey N. » August 13th, 2019, 2:17 pm

You should consider sampling on BerserkerDay as many of my favorites are usually on offer (marked with an asterisk). I like:

Goodfellow* (very high toned fruits)
Biggio Hamina* (you must like whole cluster)
Patricia Green* (loads of SVD offerings)
Eyrie (their top wines are more than you want to spend, but you could dollar cost average)
Vincent* (ok, I'm not sure if they are on BD, but I think so. Very reasonable prices)
McKinlay (I haven't had a lot, but I've liked what I've had. Originally recommended to me by Marcus Goodfellow, they can be hard to find)
Belle Pente (try the Belle Pente Vineyard and the Murto)
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 847
Joined: August 21st, 2009, 8:27 am
Location: Plano, TX

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#4 Post by Michael O'Brien » August 13th, 2019, 2:19 pm

You are going to get a lot of different ideas on this question. As for me:
Kelley Fox
1789
Bergström
Brick House
J. K. Carriere
Thomas

That should get you started. Hope to finally meet you in October.

Michael
PlanoWino

User avatar
Mattstolz
Posts: 1211
Joined: June 26th, 2017, 7:46 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#5 Post by Mattstolz » August 13th, 2019, 2:25 pm

John Osburn wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 2:14 pm
Mine with multiple under $65 (which excludes several good producers of course), and given it's difficult to select a top 5 since that excludes a lotta good people...can substitute Kelley Fox and Walter Scott in here at any point...

Belle Pente
Goodfellow
J Christopher
Biggio Hamina
Andrew Rich
Your profile picture is St Innocent and you didn't include it in your list??

I would say Patricia Green for sure, Goodfellow, Kelley Fox, Walter Scott, St Innocent, Cristom, and Lingua Franca. (thats 6, but they all make great wine)

so many great choices under $65, thats why its one of my favorite wine regions!

User avatar
Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 5125
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Portland/Newberg, Oregon

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#6 Post by Jim Anderson » August 13th, 2019, 2:26 pm

Corey N. wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 2:17 pm
You should consider sampling on BerserkerDay as many of my favorites are usually on offer (marked with an asterisk). I like:

Goodfellow* (very high toned fruits)
Biggio Hamina* (you must like whole cluster)
Patricia Green* (loads of SVD offerings)
Eyrie (their top wines are more than you want to spend, but you could dollar cost average)
Vincent* (ok, I'm not sure if they are on BD, but I think so. Very reasonable prices)
McKinlay (I haven't had a lot, but I've liked what I've had. Originally recommended to me by Marcus Goodfellow, they can be hard to find)
Belle Pente (try the Belle Pente Vineyard and the Murto)
Pretty sure 21 of 27 were under $65, 2 @ $65 and 2 @ 75 but a case discount would take those under $65 as well. One wine at $85 and one at $100 in the 2017 vintage (or a grand total of around 500 cases out of about 15,000 over $65 net).
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

User avatar
Michael Sterling
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 244
Joined: December 30th, 2010, 11:43 am

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#7 Post by Michael Sterling » August 13th, 2019, 2:44 pm

Folks whose wines I’ve had recently and thought they were just fantastic:
Mellen Meyer
Violin
Vincent
Johan
Twill
ITB- Franny Beck Wines
https://www.frannybeck.com

User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8494
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#8 Post by Scott Brunson » August 13th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Add Cristom to the growing list.
sh!tty
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

John Peacock
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 447
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:08 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#9 Post by John Peacock » August 13th, 2019, 3:00 pm

My first thought is Crowley. Second thought would be Colene Clemens (4 Pinots at $65 or under).

*Disclaimer: My wife works at Colene Clemens*
ITB - Ocelli Cellars

User avatar
Ian H
Posts: 143
Joined: February 7th, 2018, 3:57 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#10 Post by Ian H » August 13th, 2019, 3:09 pm

I did a quick search on CT of my Oregon pinot tasting notes, and the producers that appear more frequently at the top of my ratings that have great bottles that meet the price target are:

Big Table Farm
Patricia Green
Kelley Fox
Walter Scott
@@S

User avatar
Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 97
Joined: July 15th, 2019, 5:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#11 Post by Adam Frisch » August 13th, 2019, 4:48 pm

Am I the only one who thinks King Estates is pretty damn good and a lot of value?
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

User avatar
P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1459
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 2:14 pm
Location: El Cerrito CA

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#12 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » August 13th, 2019, 4:56 pm

Just wanted to point out if you purchase before September 9 from Vincent’s email list you are paying $35 and under. Worth checking out a fellow Berserker. [berserker.gif]
Cheers,
Paul

User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11358
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Close to William Penn's Walking Purchase

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#13 Post by Richard T r i m p i » August 13th, 2019, 4:57 pm

Adam Frisch wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 4:48 pm
Am I the only one who thinks King Estates is pretty damn good and a lot of value?
Haven't had one in 10+ years. I'm assuming things have changed for the better?

Some pretty solid lists above.

RT

User avatar
Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 97
Joined: July 15th, 2019, 5:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#14 Post by Adam Frisch » August 13th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Richard T r i m p i wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 4:57 pm

Haven't had one in 10+ years. I'm assuming things have changed for the better?
They used to be bad? My experience is just from a few bottles here and there over the last 5 years.

Second vote för Bergström. Very earthy Pinots. Excellent.
Last edited by Adam Frisch on August 13th, 2019, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Gary Ahearn
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 505
Joined: February 20th, 2013, 7:06 pm
Location: Venice, FL

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#15 Post by Gary Ahearn » August 13th, 2019, 5:14 pm

K John Joseph wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 1:36 pm
I'm looking to increase Oregon pinot buys. Who are your top 5 producers with multiple wines under $65 a pop?
Off the top of my head:
Thomas
Cameron
Evesham Wood
Walter Scott
Brick House

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4017
Joined: March 6th, 2010, 1:47 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#16 Post by Michae1 P0wers » August 13th, 2019, 5:18 pm

Cameron
Evesham
Patricia Green
Arterberry
Eyrie

Many others but these are the ones that first come mind for me. Still need to try some of these, while there are others I’ve liked but am buying less of these days

User avatar
Paul price
Posts: 5
Joined: August 5th, 2019, 8:21 pm

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#17 Post by Paul price » August 13th, 2019, 5:42 pm

Scott Brunson wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 2:59 pm
Add Cristom to the growing list.
sh!tty
2nd cristom. Really good pinots and pretty much all of them fall right under $65. Maybe one hits 70 but right in that range.

User avatar
K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7021
Joined: June 8th, 2011, 11:55 am
Location: Dallas

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#18 Post by K John Joseph » August 13th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Mattstolz wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Your profile picture is St Innocent and you didn't include it in your list??
It's not St. Innocent...it's 2007 St. Innocent Momtazi...arguably the most divisive wine this forum's Oregon fans have ever discussed.

It's not good, by the way.

I used to drink a bunch of Oregon but it tailed off big time after I started having a bunch of kids. Now my wife and I drink more pinot and champagne than cabs and bordeaux, but the Oregon game has slipped past me and I'd like to try a good number of bottlings in a fair price range.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Mar3 Koslowsky
Posts: 45
Joined: November 24th, 2015, 6:04 pm

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#19 Post by Mar3 Koslowsky » August 13th, 2019, 5:57 pm

Based on my recent trip-

Patrica green
Big Table
Walter Scott
Bethel Heights
Kelley Fox

And others based on what I bought
Goodfellow
Cristom
Bergstrom

kyledorsey
Posts: 64
Joined: October 14th, 2018, 4:16 pm
Location: Finger Lakes, NY

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#20 Post by kyledorsey » August 13th, 2019, 6:07 pm

Cristom
Evening Land
Walter Scott

User avatar
Joe S.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 930
Joined: January 18th, 2013, 8:31 pm
Location: DFW Metroplex

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#21 Post by Joe S. » August 13th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Patricia Green
Cristom
Bethel Heights
Thomas

I have only listed 4 as my Oregon experience is still a bit limited....
-- J. 'eS-eye-dee-dee-ay-eL-eL-
BornToRhone (CT)

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1171
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: University Place Wa.

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#22 Post by Mike Maguire » August 13th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Bethel Heights
Colene Clemens
McKinlay, these age effortlessly

User avatar
Matt Mauldin
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1137
Joined: May 26th, 2010, 3:32 pm
Location: Goleta, CA

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#23 Post by Matt Mauldin » August 13th, 2019, 10:31 pm

Lots to choose from. My recent faves are - Cristom, Eyrie, Brick House, Big Table Farm and Patricia Green.
ITB

User avatar
Mattstolz
Posts: 1211
Joined: June 26th, 2017, 7:46 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#24 Post by Mattstolz » August 14th, 2019, 3:20 am

Mike Maguire wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 9:47 pm
Bethel Heights
Colene Clemens
McKinlay, these age effortlessly
I like the Bethel heights I have had. I wish I had more experience with their old vine bottlings, especially after listening to Mimi Casteels IDTT podcast. I also would like to try and track some of her wine down! Question for you about Bethel though: their estate wine showed a pretty good amount of what I perceived as new oak... is that true across the board?

User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11358
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Close to William Penn's Walking Purchase

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#25 Post by Richard T r i m p i » August 14th, 2019, 4:13 am

Adam Frisch wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 5:02 pm
Richard T r i m p i wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 4:57 pm

Haven't had one in 10+ years. I'm assuming things have changed for the better?
They used to be bad? My experience is just from a few bottles here and there over the last 5 yeard.
King Estates is one of the highest volume producers in Oregon. In general, their quality did not match the volume in my opinion. YMMV.

RT

User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11358
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Close to William Penn's Walking Purchase

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#26 Post by Richard T r i m p i » August 14th, 2019, 4:22 am

Mattstolz wrote: I like the Bethel heights I have had. I wish I had more experience with their old vine bottlings, especially after listening to Mimi Casteels IDTT podcast. I also would like to try and track some of her wine down! Question for you about Bethel though: their estate wine showed a pretty good amount of what I perceived as new oak... is that true across the board?
Bethel Heights has produced some of the best Pinots I've ever tasted from Oregon. Some definitely start out oakier than others and always better to taste before buying in quantity. Their Southeast and flat block bottlings are normally excellent.

RT

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2282
Joined: April 30th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#27 Post by Charlie Carnes » August 14th, 2019, 4:43 am

P@u1_M3nk3s wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 4:56 pm
Just wanted to point out if you purchase before September 9 from Vincent’s email list you are paying $35 and under. Worth checking out a fellow Berserker. [berserker.gif]
...and they are wonderful!
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2282
Joined: April 30th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#28 Post by Charlie Carnes » August 14th, 2019, 4:47 am

Corey N. wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 2:17 pm
You should consider sampling on BerserkerDay as many of my favorites are usually on offer (marked with an asterisk). I like:

Goodfellow* (very high toned fruits)
Biggio Hamina* (you must like whole cluster)
Patricia Green* (loads of SVD offerings)
Eyrie (their top wines are more than you want to spend, but you could dollar cost average)
Vincent* (ok, I'm not sure if they are on BD, but I think so. Very reasonable prices)
McKinlay (I haven't had a lot, but I've liked what I've had. Originally recommended to me by Marcus Goodfellow, they can be hard to find)
Belle Pente (try the Belle Pente Vineyard and the Murto)
John, Corey is spot on here. Great recs on some terrific Pinot Noir
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

User avatar
Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8420
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 3:22 pm
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#29 Post by Chris Seiber » August 14th, 2019, 7:28 am

P@u1_M3nk3s wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 4:56 pm
Just wanted to point out if you purchase before September 9 from Vincent’s email list you are paying $35 and under. Worth checking out a fellow Berserker. [berserker.gif]
Paul or others, tell me more about Vincent’s wines. First time I’ve heard of them but I’m interested.

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 125
Joined: January 16th, 2013, 11:31 am

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#30 Post by James Lyon » August 14th, 2019, 7:42 am

K John Joseph wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 1:36 pm
I'm looking to increase Oregon pinot buys. Who are your top 5 producers with multiple wines under $65 a pop?
Interesting discussion with lots of great recommendations.

KJJ, what do you consider multiple wines? 2+ or more. Full disclosure, I'm a mailing list member and really enjoy (John) Thomas wines as others have mentioned, but he makes one wine. McKinlay is another great recommendation, but they make at the most four wines in any 1 vintage (WV, Estate, SS, Ladd) and sometimes only a couple per year.

With the number of great producers, it's a little difficult and perhaps unfair for me to trim the list to 5. I'll be glad to give you a list of 15 - 20 producers. I would suggest trying wines from each of the WV AVA's unless you already know your favorite AVA. Some producers only have Estate wines (Brick House, Colene Clemens, etc.), but most work with multiple vineyards and AVA's.

Perhaps a list of the 5 quintessential Oregon Pinot's or a short list of Pinot's representative of each AVA would be an informative and interesting topic.

James

User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11358
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Close to William Penn's Walking Purchase

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#31 Post by Richard T r i m p i » August 14th, 2019, 7:43 am

Vincent Fritzsche has been making Pinots in the WV for over 10 years. His wines are typically elegant with a Burg leaning. Pinots are his specialty but he makes delicious Gamay too. I haven't tried his full lineup. He's been dialing in his style and growing his operation over the past several years. Very much worth trying and still quite affordable. He's recently been making his wines at John Grochau cellars. John is also a super guy with affordable Pinots worth an effort to seek out. They might not be in the "5 best" but they're knocking on the door with great QPR that shouldn't be overlooked.

https://vincentwinecompany.com/

RT

User avatar
RickieM
Posts: 217
Joined: January 26th, 2015, 9:13 pm

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#32 Post by RickieM » August 14th, 2019, 8:15 am

Richard T r i m p i wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 7:43 am
Vincent Fritzsche has been making Pinots in the WV for over 10 years. His wines are typically elegant with a Burg leaning. Pinots are his specialty but he makes delicious Gamay too. I haven't tried his full lineup. He's been dialing in his style and growing his operation over the past several years. Very much worth trying and still quite affordable. He's recently been making his wines at John Grochau cellars. John is also a super guy with affordable Pinots worth an effort to seek out. They might not be in the "5 best" but they're knocking on the door with great QPR that shouldn't be overlooked.

https://vincentwinecompany.com/

RT
I second what you said about Vincent. Excellent wines. He's also a Berserker Day participant, although the best deals come from being on his mailing list. His fall pre-offer is taking place right now so my suggestion is to check that out because it is well worth it. I believe I've tried his full lineup and have never been disappointed.
Rickie Miy@ke

User avatar
K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7021
Joined: June 8th, 2011, 11:55 am
Location: Dallas

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#33 Post by K John Joseph » August 14th, 2019, 8:17 am

James Lyon wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 7:42 am
K John Joseph wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 1:36 pm
I'm looking to increase Oregon pinot buys. Who are your top 5 producers with multiple wines under $65 a pop?
Interesting discussion with lots of great recommendations.

KJJ, what do you consider multiple wines? 2+ or more. Full disclosure, I'm a mailing list member and really enjoy (John) Thomas wines as others have mentioned, but he makes one wine. McKinlay is another great recommendation, but they make at the most four wines in any 1 vintage (WV, Estate, SS, Ladd) and sometimes only a couple per year.

With the number of great producers, it's a little difficult and perhaps unfair for me to trim the list to 5. I'll be glad to give you a list of 15 - 20 producers. I would suggest trying wines from each of the WV AVA's unless you already know your favorite AVA. Some producers only have Estate wines (Brick House, Colene Clemens, etc.), but most work with multiple vineyards and AVA's.

Perhaps a list of the 5 quintessential Oregon Pinot's or a short list of Pinot's representative of each AVA would be an informative and interesting topic.

James
James,

Multiple wines is preferably 3+ under 65. What I was hoping to avoid were the suggestions for the producer that has 9 wines at nearly $75 - 90 a pop, with a leftover cuvee. For example, Bergstrom's single vineyard pinots and reserve wine range from $70 to $110, but they have their Cumberland Reserve for $42. Cristom's singles are all $65, but they have the Mt. Jefferson at $35. I was hoping to find producers that have a greater concentration of very good wines at a slightly lower price point.

For a little more background, I've long been a fan of Oregon wines and have traveled through the region. I used to drink quite a bit of it and have plowed through any number of Bergstrom, Beaux Freres, Bethel Heights, Cristom, Adelsheim, Brick House, JK Carriere, St. Innocent, Penner Ash, Belle Pente, DDO, Evening Land wines, and a spattering of others. My dad is a wine guy too and has a big stock of Oregon pinots, but from a limited number of producers (with a heavy focus on Bergstrom and Cristom).

But after the 2008 vintage, I just kind of stopped buying. I've had a few again recently with my dad and really just love the aromatics. I just don't know who is doing what nowadays and so am looking for some good producers with reasonable prices that consistently delivery really good wines.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1402
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#34 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » August 14th, 2019, 8:25 am

James Lyon wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 7:42 am
K John Joseph wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 1:36 pm
I'm looking to increase Oregon pinot buys. Who are your top 5 producers with multiple wines under $65 a pop?
Interesting discussion with lots of great recommendations.

KJJ, what do you consider multiple wines? 2+ or more. Full disclosure, I'm a mailing list member and really enjoy (John) Thomas wines as others have mentioned, but he makes one wine. McKinlay is another great recommendation, but they make at the most four wines in any 1 vintage (WV, Estate, SS, Ladd) and sometimes only a couple per year.

With the number of great producers, it's a little difficult and perhaps unfair for me to trim the list to 5. I'll be glad to give you a list of 15 - 20 producers. I would suggest trying wines from each of the WV AVA's unless you already know your favorite AVA. Some producers only have Estate wines (Brick House, Colene Clemens, etc.), but most work with multiple vineyards and AVA's.

Perhaps a list of the 5 quintessential Oregon Pinot's or a short list of Pinot's representative of each AVA would be an informative and interesting topic.

James
This really sums up a lot of my thoughts. I just don’t think you can get to 5 producers that sum up Willamette Valley Pinot Noir. I have my five favorites but they’re not enough, and it’s awfully subjective. When you get to “The Five BEST producers”...too often that means who markets well, and you miss out on wines like McKinlay.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 682
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 1:13 pm

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#35 Post by Joe Chanley » August 14th, 2019, 8:33 am

Not familiar with mckinlay, but a local shop has the base pinot for $17 so I'll give it a shot.

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 3747
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 2:16 pm
Location: McMinnville, OR

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#36 Post by Todd Hamina » August 14th, 2019, 8:38 am

SchöneTal, Claygate, Gypsy Dancer.

Disclosure: I make them, but they don't have my signature as they're made for the client.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1402
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#37 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » August 14th, 2019, 8:57 am

That said:

Five Whole Cluster producers to try: Every one on this list has been doing this since at least 2002, whether working at a winery or at their own winery.

Cristom-Benchmark but bigger style these days
Goodfellow-my wines, but we do a good job
Kelley Fox
Biggio-Hamina
Brick House

Five Great destemmed producers:

Patricia Green-range of sites is phenomenal
Walter Scott-don’t miss these
Belle Pente
McKinlay
Evesham Wood

Five Excellent newer producers:

Vincent
Twill
Martin Woods
Timothy Malone
Violin

Five Great Producers that should have made the above list:

Johan (love these, and don’t miss the Blaufrankisch)
Crowley
Big Table Farm
Grochau(Bjornsen Vineyard)
Jay Somers new project(as he is separated from J. Christopher now)

Five GREAT old vine Vineyards to try:

Arcus-Dundee Hills
Temperance Hill-Eola-Amity Hills
Abbey Ridge-Dundee Hills(I would say Clos Electrique but it’s not under $65)
Bethel Heights Flat Block and SE Block-Eola-Amity
The trio of Patricia Green’s estate, Whistling Ridge, and Beaux Freres(not under $65)-Ribbon Ridge

Both Jim Anderson and I make the wines from 2 of the trio in Ribbon Ridge, and we post a fair amount. There’s lots of great sites in the Willamette Valley, but between the last three there is a distinct sense of place, even in the hands of three very different wineries. That said, I am very biased towards those three vineyards.
Last edited by Marcus Goodfellow on August 14th, 2019, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1402
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#38 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » August 14th, 2019, 9:10 am

Joe Chanley wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 8:33 am
Not familiar with mckinlay, but a local shop has the base pinot for $17 so I'll give it a shot.
Hi Joe,

The base WV is ok but it’s a different world from the vineyard designates and the Special Select.

In 2008 when the recession hit, Matt Kinney, owner/winemaker for McKinlay had recently bought a vineyard and was up against the wall financially. He dropped the pricing on his Willamette Valley to $15 retail to stay in business. The wine has been successful but, IMO, these days it’s solid but does not illustrate the quality of the upper tier wines. It’s a volume play, released early, and a decent drinker but not what I would recommend. If you can, ask your shop if they can get any of the upper tier wines. There’s a really solid set of Willamette Valley Pinot Noirs under $30, or even $25. But not many under $20.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1402
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#39 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » August 14th, 2019, 9:17 am

Another great way to get up to speed on Oregon is the Deep Roots Coalition. It’s a group of wineries dedicated to dry farming. The website lists members, and it’s a range of very good to top producers, all of whom are making wines that, IMO, offer a little less polish and a little more soul.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2282
Joined: April 30th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#40 Post by Charlie Carnes » August 14th, 2019, 10:06 am

Chris Seiber wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 7:28 am
P@u1_M3nk3s wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 4:56 pm
Just wanted to point out if you purchase before September 9 from Vincent’s email list you are paying $35 and under. Worth checking out a fellow Berserker. [berserker.gif]
Paul or others, tell me more about Vincent’s wines. First time I’ve heard of them but I’m interested.
Most answered your question pretty well. I will add that they are never "over made" if you will.
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2282
Joined: April 30th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#41 Post by Charlie Carnes » August 14th, 2019, 10:09 am

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 8:57 am
That said:

Five Whole Cluster producers to try: Every one on this list has been doing this since at least 2002, whether working at a winery or at their own winery.

Cristom-Benchmark but bigger style these days
Goodfellow-my wines, but we do a good job
Kelley Fox
Biggio-Hamina
Brick House

Five Great destemmed producers:

Patricia Green-range of sites is phenomenal
Walter Scott-don’t miss these
Belle Pente
McKinlay
Evesham Wood

Five Excellent newer producers:

Vincent
Twill
Martin Woods
Timothy Malone
Violin

Five Great Producers that should have made the above list:

Johan (love these, and don’t miss the Blaufrankisch)
Crowley
Big Table Farm
Grochau(Bjornsen Vineyard)
Jay Somers new project(as he is separated from J. Christopher now)

Five GREAT old vine Vineyards to try:

Arcus-Dundee Hills
Temperance Hill-Eola-Amity Hills
Abbey Ridge-Dundee Hills(I would say Clos Electrique but it’s not under $65)
Bethel Heights Flat Block and SE Block-Eola-Amity
The trio of Patricia Green’s estate, Whistling Ridge, and Beaux Freres(not under $65)-Ribbon Ridge

Both Jim Anderson and I make the wines from 2 of the trio in Ribbon Ridge, and we post a fair amount. There’s lots of great sites in the Willamette Valley, but between the last three there is a distinct sense of place, even in the hands of three very different wineries. That said, I am very biased towards those three vineyards.
One could read 100 pages in a book and not get this quality of information. It's nice how you guys compliment each other.
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11358
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Close to William Penn's Walking Purchase

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#42 Post by Richard T r i m p i » August 14th, 2019, 10:11 am

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 8:57 am
Jay Somers new project (as he is separated from J. Christopher now)
What happened? Jay is certainly among the best in the Willamette IMHO. I presume that the 2016 and 2017 J. Christopher wines were still made by Jay?

RT

User avatar
Scott Tallman
Posts: 2496
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#43 Post by Scott Tallman » August 14th, 2019, 10:15 am

Surprised no one has mentioned Cameron. While Abbey Ridge and Clos Electrique are above $65 (although they can be found for about that price if you buy from Sec and order a case of wine), but should not sleep on Arley’s Leap or the Reserve bottles, which are in the $30 or low $40s depending on where you buy.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 3747
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 2:16 pm
Location: McMinnville, OR

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#44 Post by Todd Hamina » August 14th, 2019, 10:17 am

Charlie, I wish it was all like that with the compliments, but it isn't. Marcus is just a prince amongst us. There are some very shallow people taking up the reins here in OR... and the bullshit is insidious.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13685
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#45 Post by Jay Miller » August 14th, 2019, 10:25 am

RickieM wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 8:15 am
Richard T r i m p i wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 7:43 am
Vincent Fritzsche has been making Pinots in the WV for over 10 years. His wines are typically elegant with a Burg leaning. Pinots are his specialty but he makes delicious Gamay too. I haven't tried his full lineup. He's been dialing in his style and growing his operation over the past several years. Very much worth trying and still quite affordable. He's recently been making his wines at John Grochau cellars. John is also a super guy with affordable Pinots worth an effort to seek out. They might not be in the "5 best" but they're knocking on the door with great QPR that shouldn't be overlooked.

https://vincentwinecompany.com/

RT
I second what you said about Vincent. Excellent wines. He's also a Berserker Day participant, although the best deals come from being on his mailing list. His fall pre-offer is taking place right now so my suggestion is to check that out because it is well worth it. I believe I've tried his full lineup and have never been disappointed.
FWIW I'll add that I greatly enjoyed the wines I bought from Vincent the BDay before last. I would have bought more this year (or from his mailing) if I wasn't in cellar downsizing mode. I love his pinots and, when he offers them, his VT wines.

And Vincent is a great guy who was active on the old WLDG wine board 1000 years ago or so before he started the winery.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2522
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 10:17 am

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#46 Post by MitchTallan » August 14th, 2019, 10:45 am

I hate to be a curmudgeon, but I am what I am. Have you used the search function? Have you read this Board at all over the last five years?
What is the point?
You may as well ask "what are the five best PN producers in Oregon" because the few that charge more than $65/bottle aren't better.
That silly topic-who are the best PN producers in Oregon?-has been asked ten or more times in the last three years.
And guess what? There ain't no best five. There are mediocre producers but most are above that and from there it is a matter of taste and bottling.
What bothers me is that it must make the handful of top producers who participate on this board feel very uneasy each time this kind of question gets asked-they are damned if they say something and damned if they don't.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1402
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#47 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » August 14th, 2019, 11:18 am

Richard T r i m p i wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 10:11 am
Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 8:57 am
Jay Somers new project (as he is separated from J. Christopher now)
What happened? Jay is certainly among the best in the Willamette IMHO. I presume that the 2016 and 2017 J. Christopher wines were still made by Jay?

RT
2016 and 2017 are made by Jay.

When Jay and Rhonda partnered with Loosen Bros. the agreement was that the J. Christopher wines would be sold through the Loosen Bros. distribution network. Excluding Oregon where J. Christopher is self distributed. My understanding is that there were differences in vision...
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1402
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#48 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » August 14th, 2019, 11:33 am

MitchTallan wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 10:45 am
I hate to be a curmudgeon, but I am what I am. Have you used the search function? Have you read this Board at all over the last five years?
What is the point?
You may as well ask "what are the five best PN producers in Oregon" because the few that charge more than $65/bottle aren't better.
That silly topic-who are the best PN producers in Oregon?-has been asked ten or more times in the last three years.
And guess what? There ain't no best five. There are mediocre producers but most are above that and from there it is a matter of taste and bottling.
What bothers me is that it must make the handful of top producers who participate on this board feel very uneasy each time this kind of question gets asked-they are damned if they say something and damned if they don't.
Best isn’t a great word in Pinot Noir.

Fortunately, it mostly translates(to me) as “I am just getting back into Willamette Valley wines. So who is doing good work right now?”


And while many of the names are the same as the other threads, Pinot Noir is a hard grape and it’s good to stay current(Johan is a winery I should have been touting 3 years ago).
Last edited by Marcus Goodfellow on August 14th, 2019, 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

User avatar
John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 887
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Portland OR

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#49 Post by John Osburn » August 14th, 2019, 11:33 am

K John Joseph wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 5:47 pm
Mattstolz wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Your profile picture is St Innocent and you didn't include it in your list??
It's not St. Innocent...it's 2007 St. Innocent Momtazi...arguably the most divisive wine this forum's Oregon fans have ever discussed.

It's not good, by the way.
Got it in one! [cheers.gif]

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1171
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: University Place Wa.

Re: 5 Best Oregon Pinot Noir Producers under $65

#50 Post by Mike Maguire » August 14th, 2019, 11:47 am

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 9:10 am
Joe Chanley wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 8:33 am
Not familiar with mckinlay, but a local shop has the base pinot for $17 so I'll give it a shot.
Hi Joe,

The base WV is ok but it’s a different world from the vineyard designates and the Special Select.

In 2008 when the recession hit, Matt Kinney, owner/winemaker for McKinlay had recently bought a vineyard and was up against the wall financially. He dropped the pricing on his Willamette Valley to $15 retail to stay in business. The wine has been successful but, IMO, these days it’s solid but does not illustrate the quality of the upper tier wines. It’s a volume play, released early, and a decent drinker but not what I would recommend. If you can, ask your shop if they can get any of the upper tier wines. There’s a really solid set of Willamette Valley Pinot Noirs under $30, or even $25. But not many under $20.
Re:McKinlay. If anyone is interested in trying, Envoyer has the 2014 SS for 34.99, I have not tried this particular vintage but every SS I have had was very good to great.

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”