Water quality agency claims vintner’s business improperly cleared Cloverdale land

Now we can argue whether or not Rhys actually was treated differently than KJ (or Foley) would have been in the same situation.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/business/9886319-181/notable-sonoma-county-wine-executives

Also this looks to be bigger much in scale than what Rhys did, apart from the illegal storage of water there were no rights to.

Thank you for posting this. And it should be really interesting to watch. A lot more drama in this than appears on the surface, as this guy had been president of Foley and stepped away just as these charges were being filed.

Note that it took over two years for the information to come out about Rhys, and that we didn’t hear anything about it until the fines were announced.

Why are we hearing about this so quickly? That is the question.

Interesting, and yet this report leaves out so much.

Two data points though - this combined with the Rhys penalty/reporting (very similar language and issues) indicate something. Noise? Coincidence? Or does this reflect energetic new leadership at the water board(s) in CA. Trying to make names for themselves or more a ‘holy crap look what people have been getting away with! Let’s make some big examples and get growers to take these laws more seriously’ moment?

Here is the report, there seems to be a hefty dose of deceit throughout, and the images look bad.

Not sure about if it is a coincidence, but I had heard people talking as if the pressure was off in recent years from regulators after the fires as there was so much to deal with. Maybe the enforcement arm is catching up on everything they saw happening but couldn’t pursue? Repeated satellite imagery seems to have played a big part in both Rhys and now this investigation.

Given Mr. Reimers has had experience in developing vineyards in Sonoma County, he should be aware of required Vineyard Erosion and Sediment Control Ordinance (VESCO) permits through SCACO.

Former head of KJ and Foley, no way he can say he didn’t know. Especially since his business is developing vineyards.

Interesting that the CA agency’s web address is “waterboards,” which I would have thought conjured a less-than-savory image

Dagnabbit Truett!! [wow.gif] [cheers.gif]

Wow, just wow!

Looks like at least a few thousands times the impact of the Rhys project, so I assume the fine will be in the billions, right?

Now what did I do?

I didn’t see it mentioned but the Rhys violations impacted a designated “wild and scenic river”, the undammed Eel river. Does that affect the fine amount?

This thread isn’t legit until Alan posts.

If he does, I’ll be impressed. And a little frightened [wow.gif]

Oh Ho Ho Ho - don’t play the innocent here, M’Lad… we know you are the driving source behind this… [snort.gif]

Well, I suppose you referring to yourself in the 3rd person was only inevitable :wink: neener

Ha, if I’m going to refer to myself, it will be the royal we [bow.gif]

And we totally understand (or not) [berserker.gif]

Impacted is a stretch, even in reading the report.

Thank you for not explaining the joke, which by the way was a good one.