TN: 2015 Jérôme Chezeaux Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Suchots

• 2015 Jérôme Chezeaux Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Suchots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru (8/11/2019)

Rich dark red and blue fruits on the nose, along with some mild reduction that is currently masking underlying spice, overall primary nose. In the mouth this is a different story… So supple and smooth with really good concentration and weight. Lovely fruit characteristics and a beautiful sous bois character is carried along by a wonderfully integrated acidic core. Finishes long with a bright lift that nicely offsets the wine’s weight, fine tannis are a bit grippy but time will fix that. Everything is in balance and working together here in the best way. Pleasantly surprised that this wasn’t shut down, no harm in drinking now but time should unwind this very nicely in the medium term.

Posted from CellarTracker

Decant?

No, opened and poured off a small glass, recorked and let it sit for an hour. That first small pour off was slightly tight but it was ready to roll otherwise. It’s opened slightly more over the last couple hours, and I’m still going back to it.

Have an ocean of these from 2005 to 2008 that used to be $25 from PC. Always found them reserved and heavily structured, may be time to try one again.

Am I correct in my estimation that Amélie Berthaut has made the wines since taking over her mother’s portion of vineyards? 2/3 for her, 1/3 for the Chezeaux family? That would make a world of difference between the '05-'08 period and her hand.
Her wines are plain gorgeous to my taste.

1 Like

According to Neal Rosenthal:

“Jérôme’s daughter Lyse, having completed a series of international internships, has now joined her father full-time, her brightness and enthusiasm adding a wonderful dimension to our visits to the family cellar.”

https://madrose.com/jerome-chezeauxs-2016s-quality-over-quantity/

So I suspect/assume that Amélie Berthaut isn’t/hasn’t been involved

Ah ha. I know that she is farming a Chezeaux family’s Gevrey stuff, but not sure what part…

Interesting discussion and thanks for the link!

“and her hand”?
V&D Berthaut , now Berthaut-Gerbet, are long-time metayers for Domaine de Chézeaux - the Mercier family - not Jerome Chezeaux (as far as I’m aware).
So that’s Gevrey, Gevrey Clos de Chézeaux, Cazetiers and Lavaux St.Jacques - but the latter two are tiny and often blended in low volume vintages, so Amélie made those since 2013.
The same system as René Leclerc for (Domaine de) Chezeaux’s Griotte and Ponsot for Griotte and others…

I was also wondering if that post was a reference to Domain des Chezeaux rather than Jerome Chezeaux; I don’t believe Jerome Chezeaux has any Gevrey. They didn’t mention any when I visited.

That’s it, Domaine des Chezeaux. 2/3 for Berthaut, 1/3 for Domaine des Chezeaux. Thanks for clarifying.
The Lavaut she made in '16 and '17 are incredibly good…