TN: 2011 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon La Croix Boissée

Not a heralded vintage for Loire Cabernet Franc, but I did still buy my regular allocation from a few producers, including Baudry’s flagship wine, Croix Boissee, and a personal favorite, Plouzeau’s Ante Phylloxera Clos de Maulevrier. Both wines flourished, with Plouzeau actually producing a stunner.

This Baudry is coming close to ready. Has the archetype Chinon nose of tobacco leaf, bell pepper, dry earth and a little camp-fire ashiness. Okay, on second sniffy-sniff, a big ripe green bell pepper. God I love this stuff. Medium weight palate with buzzy acid, blood orange citrus, dried red fruits on the tart spectrum and a whole field of dry leaves and earth. Like a summer festival in your mouth. So refreshing. Finishes with dusty, chalky tannins and some residual tartness.

Not a blockbuster. Not an ager, either. This wine is essentially ready but perhaps in 1-2 years it will be optimal for consuming near-term while your 2010s and 2014s mature. Such an incredibly consistent producer that produces wine reflective of each vintage, without manipulation or some formulaic approach to produce a ubiquitous product.

(92 pts.)

B0549AF9-31E2-49DC-AB79-B80F7290C69D.jpeg

Owlfert just sent me a text, which reads “it’s very good, but I find myself wanting more Ovid. Lol. Don’t tell anyone.”

Funny Corey …his text to me was, “imagine what the magic of Rolland could have done for the '11 Baudry vintage”

Kidding side, Marc you would love this wine.

Oakfert.

Different wine, but has anyone had any of the Franc de Pied recently from 2011?

I have not. Sitting on two with a chastity belt on them. That was the last vintage. I popped one on release.

Same here–tried one on arrival, and have two left. The last of the Mohicans. When I visited, Mattheiu would just roll his eyes when I wanted to talk about it. I think it was sort of his dad’s deal–a lot of work for steadily diminishing returns–I think his opinion was it was a lot of wasted energy.

1 Like

I drank a bottle of the 2011 La Croix Boissee about a year and half ago, agree it’s quite nice!

-Al

This post is a troll. He handed that glass of Baudry to his wife. Just to the left is his cocktail shaker of Martini-nelli. Shaken not stirred.

RT

Speaking of which, had a killer dirty Martini on Saturday with wasabi blue cheese olives. Delish with sushi. Bummed they had no Chateauneuf du Pape on the menu. Later had to settle for some dry, acidic, low alcohol Riesling. Uncle Bob would not approve.

Funny you mention it. I popped a 2009 Martinelli Syrah in Robert’s honor last night. The alcohol was surprisingly well hidden, but not my cuppa.

Come to think of it, the oak was pretty well hidden too. Robert Oakfert would not approve.

Thanks for the note, that’s good to know - I’ve enjoyed the few 2011s I’ve tried so far but I haven’t got this one so yet more wine to look out for! As for the Plouzeau, you’d be surprised at how hard it is to find over here…