TN: 2017 Broc Cellars 'Wirth Vineyard' Zinfandel

I don’t drink a lot of Zin, in fact would never think to order it and this may be my first one for a decade, but when an importer I work with sent me an offer on these I couldn’t resist.
This is a lovely restrained and bright rendition of Zinfandel. All about bright and crunchy dark red fruits and some floral notes. It reminds me of cool climate Shiraz without the pepper. Similar weight. It is a wine that reveals more as it breathes, more nuance, more depth, all the while retaining freshness and vitality. Very good indeed.

Thanks for the note, its been a couple of years since I’ve had Broc though I do enjoy them. Their wines are relatively AFWE.

Also 10 years?? Is zin not popular down under, or is it just typically not your thing?

Bit of both. Never really got excited about the variety although had a few good Ridge’s over the years. Locals can be a bit boozy.
I thought this to be a very good wine with plenty of flavour and well handled oak and pleasingly only 13% ABV.

Broc makes lovely “natural wines” and quite the contrast to the stereotypical Aussie bombs. Great to see they will have a presence down under.

Agreed Gregg and there are lots of our local wines made along similar lines, I am pleased to say.