TN: 2004 Camille Savès Champagne Grand Cru Brut Millésimé Bouzy

Finally got myself to buy some Zalto Universal glasses yesterday and naturally had to break them in with something decent. I suppose I will be using or at least trying them rather universally for wines of all colors but as earlier this year they had turned out to be simply excellent for the rich, vinous and intense single vineyard Champagnes of Chartogne-Taillet and Bérêche I decided take a similar route here. It actually would have been worthwhile to try this wine with some other glass types to see if it would have come out less fresh and fruity from for example a Bourgogne glass but certainly I enjoyed it a lot from my new glasses.

• 2004 Camille Savès Champagne Grand Cru Brut Millésimé Bouzy - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (10.8.2019)
    Very attractive golden color. Beautifully sumptuous on the nose with ripe apple, some honey, a superb combination of butter, bread dough and roasted almonds and a saline edge. The mousse is of the very lively and dense kind, revealing a full-bodied and palate-coating yet simultaneously delineated and firm wine underneath. Markedly tangy with a bright mix of apple and blood orange. There is some toastiness but overall this is very fruit forward with the high quality Pinot Noir clearly shining through. Finishes dry, clean and a bit tart. By all mean this still feels young at age 15. Given that I paid peanuts for this some years ago I have to say it is a rather surprisingly serious wine if not immensely complex on the palate at this moment. Give it another 10 years and I think it is going to become a real beauty.

Posted from CellarTracker