Contributor
Contributor

Re: Just hit the 1K milestone

#51 Post by Joe Chanley » August 10th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 7:54 am
Sh@n A wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 4:32 am
What is in the cellar? Top regions, producers, vintages etc?
Check me out on CT - my handle is BigTex22 and my inventory is available for anyone to view.
350 pending is pretty impressive! Just cracked 1k as well and fortunately realized early on that big bombastic wines were not for me. I still enjoy some as a guilty pleasure but have tried to focus more on mid tier wines and finding the next best thing since everything I’ve come to love has exploded in price. Best part about our hobby is that there is always someone brilliant doing something great, so it’s fun to support them on their climb up.

crickey

#52 Post by crickey » August 10th, 2019, 6:54 pm

I passed 1000 earlier this year. It felt a bit odd: how did I get so much wine? I got over it by buying some more.
Chri$ Ri¢k€y

Markus S

#53 Post by Markus S » August 10th, 2019, 7:32 pm

Judging from your picture, you've got Texas-sized boots to fill. Keep going!
$ _ € ® e . k @

GregT

#54 Post by GregT » August 11th, 2019, 1:32 pm

I don't understand the medical emergency part, Greg. Can you clarify?

All I was trying to say was that this happened to me as I was filling my cellar in that I realized one day had wine in it that I no longer wanted to drink, that the style had passed me by. Looking back now, I ended up selling it all off and I am glad I made that decision. I don't want to be the wet blanket for Scott but was asking b/c of what I had been through.
The medical emergency was based on the experiences of a few acquaintances. One had thousands of bottles in an old stone cellar in France. He'd been a writer and collector for most of his life and over nearly 45 years gathered a great collection of wines that would be hard to duplicate. He had a few issues and the doctors told him to stop all alcohol. A few other guys are on meds that seem to have really affected their palates and they just don't enjoy wine as much any more, or perhaps it's equally psychological in that once faced with their mortality, they focus on other things more keenly.

I sincerely hope that doesn't happen to anyone here.

But other than that, I've never understood the concept of shifting palates. If you like something, and with wine you're often exposed to it as an adult who already has some experience with food and drink, why would you stop liking it when you find other things that you like as well? Does it happen with anything else? As a kid, my parents would feed us things like blue cheese. I haven't lost a taste for it and seek out different versions whenever I can. It's more a palate expansion than a palate shift. So a guy with 1000 bottles would seem to have some kind of understanding of his own preferences.

That's all. No big deal. I think it's a pain to sell bottles off as onesy-twosys, so I never do it, but to each his own! [cheers.gif]
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Frank Murray III » August 11th, 2019, 4:34 pm

Greg, thanks for the reply.

Palate shift does take place, and it happened to me. There is no doubt for me. The guys I drink with around here have seen it the past 5 years, too.

I've just reached a place in my own wine life, my buying mentality, where I don't want to drink stuff anymore that i don't want to drink. Example. If I go on a business trip, and the wines are crappy, then I will drink sparkling water. Similarly, at home, at 53 and no where near the ability to process alcohol as I used to, when I open something to drink, I want to really dig it. This is the reason I sold off all the stuff I mentioned, as life's too short to drink stuff anymore that is prompted by "might as well, as I have some of it left to finish" or something like that.

Folks around here are very fortunate to be able to own a 1,000+ bottles. A lot of fun, generosity and other privilege can take place with this kind of good fortune. Both you and Big Tex has been around here a long time, maybe one day we can meet and share some of that generosity together.
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Occidental Ridge SC PN
2017 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Platt SC PN
2017 Kutch Pinot Noir SC PN
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 11th, 2019, 4:49 pm

GregT wrote:
August 11th, 2019, 1:32 pm
I don't understand the medical emergency part, Greg. Can you clarify?

All I was trying to say was that this happened to me as I was filling my cellar in that I realized one day had wine in it that I no longer wanted to drink, that the style had passed me by. Looking back now, I ended up selling it all off and I am glad I made that decision. I don't want to be the wet blanket for Scott but was asking b/c of what I had been through.
The medical emergency was based on the experiences of a few acquaintances. One had thousands of bottles in an old stone cellar in France. He'd been a writer and collector for most of his life and over nearly 45 years gathered a great collection of wines that would be hard to duplicate. He had a few issues and the doctors told him to stop all alcohol. A few other guys are on meds that seem to have really affected their palates and they just don't enjoy wine as much any more, or perhaps it's equally psychological in that once faced with their mortality, they focus on other things more keenly.

I sincerely hope that doesn't happen to anyone here.

But other than that, I've never understood the concept of shifting palates. If you like something, and with wine you're often exposed to it as an adult who already has some experience with food and drink, why would you stop liking it when you find other things that you like as well? Does it happen with anything else? As a kid, my parents would feed us things like blue cheese. I haven't lost a taste for it and seek out different versions whenever I can. It's more a palate expansion than a palate shift. So a guy with 1000 bottles would seem to have some kind of understanding of his own preferences.

That's all. No big deal. I think it's a pain to sell bottles off as onesy-twosys, so I never do it, but to each his own! [cheers.gif]
As to your first point, I’m not sure that matters to me at all. I certainly hope that I do not have any medical emergencies that impact my palate or ability to drink wine, but if something like that happens, move forward and be happy to be alive. A large part of the enjoyment is the accumulation of wine, the experience of enjoying new things and old things with good friends and family, and participating in things like this forum. While I would miss all of this, I always move forward. Don’t look back. I went on a wine hiatus years ago to do Ironman triathlon, and did 3 in the span of 2 years, including Ironman Hawaii. That was an exceptional journey for me, and I never regretted moving another passion aside for a short spell, although in retrospect, the two could have been done together, with wine in moderation. I did another Ironman in 2008 without giving up on wine, and my times were still damn competitive.

As for the palate change, I do not think you are accounting for physiological changes. I saw it happen right in front of my with my father, and remain convinced it happened to Parker as well. As my father aged, I think his palate needed more and more stimulation for the same level of appreciation. He went from enjoying balanced wine to preferring bigger wines. I think this can happen to all of us. If it happens to me, fine, I give away, trade or sell my stash.

Never regret the time we have spent here on this passion, with our friends and family. Things cannot outweigh experiences. I’ve made great, long-standing friends through wine. Like I have in other passions, hobbies and endeavors.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

brodie thomson

#57 Post by brodie thomson » August 11th, 2019, 7:34 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 8:17 am
My validation for 4000+ bottles, at least the argument I use (often) on my wife, came from Richard Gold in his “How and Why to Build a Wine Cellar.” If you drink or open, say for instance 150 bottles a year, and you like wine 20 years old, you “need” 3000 bottles in the cellar laddered at various ages, bought on or near release, so that you control price, provenance, and availability—150 x 20.
This is so true for me as well.

So Scott, congrats on an early and intermediate milestone!

I crossed the 1k threshold about 17 years ago and after hitting over 5k at one point, am now down to a much more manageable 3.5k champagne.gif

You can always sell wine if you have too much or your tastes change. I have done this a number of times and it is very easy to do. As others have said the collecting and buying is part of the hobby.

Well OK I am currently in treatment for WAD (Wine Acquisition Disorder). Progress is being made but no sign of a cure.

Enjoy

brodie

GregT

#58 Post by GregT » August 11th, 2019, 7:37 pm

Never regret the time we have spent here on this passion, with our friends and family. Things cannot outweigh experiences. I’ve made great, long-standing friends through wine. Like I have in other passions, hobbies and endeavors.
This. Whether your palate shifts out of gear or not! Best to all! [cheers.gif]
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

James Billy

#59 Post by James Billy » August 11th, 2019, 11:09 pm

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 8:25 am
alan weinberg wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 8:17 am
My validation for 4000+ bottles, at least the argument I use (often) on my wife, came from Richard Gold in his “How and Why to Build a Wine Cellar.” If you drink or open, say for instance 150 bottles a year, and you like wine 20 years old, you “need” 3000 bottles in the cellar laddered at various ages, bought on or near release, so that you control price, provenance, and availability—150 x 20.
Yes, it makes total sense. Where it falls apart for me is with storage. No basements here in Texas, so I'm split between in-home wine storage units and offsite storage, which gets prohibitively expensive. Ideal scenario for me is a passive cellar in my dream cabin somewhere in the Colorado Rockies.

flirtysmile
Is that Whitopia?

Markus S

#60 Post by Markus S » August 12th, 2019, 5:23 am

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 8:25 am
No basements here in Texas,
Can always build one, right?
$ _ € ® e . k @

Jeff_M.

#61 Post by Jeff_M. » August 12th, 2019, 6:10 am

Not far from 1000 bottles myself. My biggest concern with the quantity of bottles is access due to having to use offsite storage. We're buying way more than we are drinking currently, which means the wine will get some age to it when we finally catch up. As I like aged wine, I find myself buying older bottles when I can find them to drink and the new releases get put into deep storage for down the road.
Jeff M 0 l l

Bryan Carr

#62 Post by Bryan Carr » August 12th, 2019, 2:35 pm

Congrats on passing the 1k mark (or condolences depending on how you look at it!). We've been looking at our storage and consumption as well and trying to reckon with it.

We've been bouncing between 500 and 550 for a while now. As we've sort of been in the "discovery" phase in the 5 years since we started becoming serious about wine most of our purchasing had been sort of exploratory or opportunistic. This has been the first year where we've really started to be more strategic and long-term focused on building a cellar for the long haul. We've been directing our wine dollars this year toward Champagne, 2015 N Rhone and Burgundy, 2016 CdP, and whatever Prum we come across. We've been buying comparatively little WA wine after years of it being our main thing, I think we've explored it pretty thoroughly and know what we do and don't like.

Using the (age preferred) x (annual consumption) = cellar size equation I think we need around 1,500-2,000 bottles to be "doing it right" but wow that seems like a long way off (and a lot of effing wine)! How long did it take you to get to 1k and how much of that was strategic and how much was impulse or opportunity?
CT: the_lovenest

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Howard Cooper » August 12th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 8:03 am
John S wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 7:33 am
Everyone's palate changes as they explore all the world of wine has to offer. And while it is a PITA, when/if that happens and if one has excess it is fairly straightforward to sell those and move on. This assumes it is not absolute swill and can not be sold. One needs to be willing to take a loss on some (or many) things but it helps to fund what one likes today regardless.

I know quite a few people who have had that happen and then refuse to sell at a loss. They then spend years drinking a ton of wine they really no longer care much for.
Yes, I figure worst case scenario (medical issues or even death), the wine could be sold at a loss but still a large percentage recouped. It's not like a golf club membership or other things that have no redeemable financial value. At least that's what I continue to tell me and my wife! [wink.gif]
Strange that your wine would be sold at a loss. Why cellar wines if you can buy them later at lower prices? What are you buying that goes down in price over time? Or is selling the wine at a loss a worst case scenario?
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » August 12th, 2019, 6:59 pm

Bryan Carr wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 2:35 pm
Congrats on passing the 1k mark (or condolences depending on how you look at it!). We've been looking at our storage and consumption as well and trying to reckon with it.

We've been bouncing between 500 and 550 for a while now. As we've sort of been in the "discovery" phase in the 5 years since we started becoming serious about wine most of our purchasing had been sort of exploratory or opportunistic. This has been the first year where we've really started to be more strategic and long-term focused on building a cellar for the long haul. We've been directing our wine dollars this year toward Champagne, 2015 N Rhone and Burgundy, 2016 CdP, and whatever Prum we come across. We've been buying comparatively little WA wine after years of it being our main thing, I think we've explored it pretty thoroughly and know what we do and don't like.

Using the (age preferred) x (annual consumption) = cellar size equation I think we need around 1,500-2,000 bottles to be "doing it right" but wow that seems like a long way off (and a lot of effing wine)! How long did it take you to get to 1k and how much of that was strategic and how much was impulse or opportunity?
I've been "seriously" collecting for ~7 years (a noob on this board). As for strategic vs. impulsive vs. opportunistic, I suppose it's been all of those. Like many, I started down the path of largely domestic wines, with an emphasis on California. Around 3 years ago, we shifted most of our buying to European wines. We now have around a 56/44 split of Euro to domestic wines.

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » August 12th, 2019, 7:01 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 6:30 pm
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 8:03 am
John S wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 7:33 am
Everyone's palate changes as they explore all the world of wine has to offer. And while it is a PITA, when/if that happens and if one has excess it is fairly straightforward to sell those and move on. This assumes it is not absolute swill and can not be sold. One needs to be willing to take a loss on some (or many) things but it helps to fund what one likes today regardless.

I know quite a few people who have had that happen and then refuse to sell at a loss. They then spend years drinking a ton of wine they really no longer care much for.
Yes, I figure worst case scenario (medical issues or even death), the wine could be sold at a loss but still a large percentage recouped. It's not like a golf club membership or other things that have no redeemable financial value. At least that's what I continue to tell me and my wife! [wink.gif]
Strange that your wine would be sold at a loss. Why cellar wines if you can buy them later at lower prices? What are you buying that goes down in price over time? Or is selling the wine at a loss a worst case scenario?
It would be your last statement...worst case scenario.

Return to “Wine Talk”