TNs: 2014 & 2015 Carl Loewen - Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg Riesling Kabinett (Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer)

A couple years ago I took a flyer on a bottle of the '15, and it has been my all-time favorite Kabinett since that time. I’ve explored the immediately adjacent vintages, both of which are very nice, and are great QPRs in their own right, but the '15 is simply in its own class. I’ve purchased two and a half cases of the '15, and, quite frankly, would purchase more if given the opportunity. This is how these two played-out in a side-by-side setting.

2014 Carl Loewen Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (6/4/2019)
– Coravined a couple glasses on Day 1; pulled cork and finished three to four days later –
– tasted non-blind –

NOSE: lime soda — like the kids drinks in small plastic bottles with a peel-off foil cap; expressive; smells a little aged — light honey.

BODY: pale yellow color is a touch darker than the '15; medium to medium-full bodied.

TASTE: medium-low to medium acidity; golden raisins; a bit less sweet than the '15, which gives it an easier-going, “fresh,” presentation; canvas tent/mineral aspect; 9% alc. hidden; noticeably more advanced than the '15; pear; flavors became more gentle with three hours of air. Finished-up nicely three to four days later. Seems to be in the front end of its prime drink window.

2015 Carl Loewen Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (6/4/2019)
– Coravined a couple glasses on Day 1; pulled cork and finished three to four days later –
– tasted non-blind –

NOSE: “cooler” aromatics than the '14; limey, but not as much as the '14; crispl; light gooseberry and anise bulb; no petrol; not one whiff of age on this.

BODY: pale yellow color; medium-full bodied.

TASTE: sweet for a Kabinett; medium+ acidity, and it’s the type that pushes forward after taking a sip versus being up front and center; this wine continues its run of excellence; acidity is starting to integrate compared to previous bottles; 9.5% alc. hidden; did not thin out with air like the '14 did. This is a Kab. for the ages — this will effortlessly make it to 2035. Truly an incredible wine.

Loewen makes some nice Kabinett. One of the best Kabinett’s I’ve had was the Leiwener Klostergarten Riesling Kabinett, can’t remember the vintage (would have been early 2000’s), but it was remarkable.

So it’s worth noting that the Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg bottling is from the old Carl Schmitt Wagner vines. 2035 is a very conservative estimate on longevity. I have little doubt that a vintage like 2015 can go 50+ years for interesting drinking, with the right storage.

David, are these the same “Herrenberg” vines Von Schubert has access to? (Von Schubert Maximin Grünhäuser Herrenberg Riesling Kabinett)

And I wasn’t going to “go there” with an aggressive longevity opinion, but I don’t doubt your opinion at all. These '15s are just sooooo damn good … hard to keep my hands off!

No. The von Schubert vineyard is in the Ruwer. This one is in the Mosel proper.

It is also a monopole belonging to von Schubert.

Yeah, but being a completely different place is a good start. :wink:

Cool. Thanks for that.