Which Burg would you go for? Daniel Rion '95 vs Domaine Fourrier '96

Which wine?

• 1995 Daniel Rion Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru ‘Les Beaux Monts’
  • 1996 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey 1er Cru Cherbaudes

0 voters

Hey all

Long time lurker but first time poster. I’ve learned a ton from reading the threads on here.

I’m planning a dinner where we will be tasting through a few different wines, and I have budget for one more and have come across the following:

1995 Daniel Rion Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru ‘Les Beaux Monts’

vs.

1996 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey 1er Cru Cherbaudes

Totally different producers, different appellations, and different vintages. What would you go for and why?

Thanks!

Andrew

Probably the Fourrier, but the Rion wines are under rated. It’s a real toss up.

I think a 95 is more likely to show well than a 96 at this point (plus, I like VR BM more than Cherbaudes). So I’d go for the Rion (agree they’re under appreciated), unless someone I’m opening it with really wanted to drink Fourrier.

(Apparently I’ve had better 95’s, Jadot Gevreys and Ponsot mostly, than others)

Andrew:
I think 1995 is a more difficult vintage to appreciate than 1996.
Some of the 1995s were big tannic and closed, both at release and recently; the 1996s, have issues with overabundant acidities.
I find 1996 more reliably pleasing.

However, I consider the Beaux Monts / Beaumonts to be the best 1er cru vineyard on the cote de Nuits generally, with some terrific producers involved in that vineyard, which is high above Vosne Romanee (I’ve walked it). I once had ten vintages of Daniel Rion’s version in my cellar; Patrice Rion made the wines until he left after the 2001 vintage to form his own estate. He is a great winemaker and a king of difficult vintages. Unfortunately, that holding remained at the family domaine.

And, my notes reflect that Rion’s 1995s (this is one vintage I got no BM) are superb for the vintage (particularly the villages Vosne, which I used as a “canary”), though they were relatively closed on opening and showed better the next day when left in decanter. That tells me they need a good amount of aeration…ie, hours to open up to show their beauty.But, it’s there.(Also, clean the wine in whatever way you prefer; lots of tannins in 1995 and therefore, sediment from the precipitants.

I can’t comment on the Fourrier as I don’t know the wine or the producer, but have found Gevrey particularly challenging in 1996.

So, for me , it would be a clear choice for the Rion wine. It’s a real treat to find am almost 24 year old Rion Beaux Monts, and I’d definitely go for it.

Welcome to the board.

Please let us know how it turns out.

stuart bh

I like Stuart’s analysis. It was only Jean-Marie’s second vintage at Fourrier. I voted Rion.

The Rion. I’m sure some 1996 Fourriers could surprise on the upside, but I think this is before they were consistent and good.

Neither is a bad choice. Personally I’d go for the Fourrier simply based on the generalization that for my palate 96s are starting to drink well but many 95s are still a bit shut down.

I voted for Rion. I am biased however, as we import their wines into Australia.

I also voted Rion. The Beaux Monts is usually a stand out for Rion, especially from that period, and conveys vineyard character well. Fourrier wines I find a little generic, though many others disagree.

I’m for Rion as well. Patrice is a great wine maker and I’ve enjoyed many bottles from the ‘90s. I’ve only had one ‘95 - the NSG Argillieres - and enjoyed it. I’d expect the Beaux Monts to be a big step up. Btw I also love Fourrier but haven’t had any from the 90s.

Only exception is if you’re trying to impress the rest of the crowd. Fourrier is likely better known than Rion.

We are the beneficiaries, even in the US - your notes are usually spot on for Rion.

I voted Fourrier. 95 bs 96 was the key driver for me.

+1

PS I’d be more confident in the Fourrier but the rion might hit higher heights.

I voted Rion VR Beaux Monts because I am familiar with and fond of that particular producer’s wine and have found it reliably pleasing. I also generally favour VRs.

I’ve had some wines from Fourrier and can’t remember anything particularly good or bad - meaning, to me, they are forgettable.

I tasted 1995 Daniel Rion Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru ‘Les Beaux Monts’ with Patrice on release. Promptly bought a few bottles and enjoyed all.

Sorry for the slight OT, but what year did Patrice leave Daniel Rion? I know he has his own label now (Patrice Rion).

+1

Both good vintages but 95s have been excellent for me.

Wow, thank you everyone for the kind welcome and help.

Lots of considerations. I’m leaning towards the Daniel Rion. I’m going to check out the bottle in person soon and see how it’s looking. A few other people I’ve spoken with in person with shared the concern that the '96 Fourrier was only Jean-Marie’s second vintage.

This is actually for my bachelors dinner. Goal isn’t to impress per se but share a few meaningful and / or interesting bottles with my closest friends.

So far, I’ve also picked up a bottle of Jerome Prevost’s La Closerie (one of my all time favs… ) and '99 Chave rouge (first time).

Interesting additional twist - While I was browsing my local store today came across a '96 Pousse D’or Clos de Bousse D’Or and decided to pull the trigger on it. I believe it was the last vintage before Gerard Potel passed away, which I thought would make for some interesting conversation. Fingers crossed it was a good move.

Should be a great night!

Edited for typo

I voted Rion. Love the Beaux Monts. Fourrier in 96 could be super acidic