AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16242
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#1 Post by Howard Cooper » August 8th, 2019, 4:53 am

We have all had a wonderful time making fun of Ovid Alfert and his recent foray into the land of Rolland. But, I have to believe that most of us have had similar transgressions. Time for confession.

1. I visited Martinelli in the late 1990s or early 2000s and bought their wines for a couple of years. Thought their Chardonnay was pretty good and their pinot was tasty young, but did not age. After a couple of years of so, I decided I would rather buy more burgundy and stopped buying this.

2. I used to go every year to Bassin's California Barrel Sample tasting. On year, I really liked a Peter Michael les Pavots 1997 and bought some. After finding zero signs of maturation in the wine over time, I eventually got rid of what I had left.

I also was buying Phelps Insignia in the 1990s but I put this in a different class. I used to love the way Phelps Cabs from the 1970s and 1980s aged. Until I saw it for myself, I was surprised that changes they made in how they made the wines meant that the wines just stayed in suspended animation over time and no longer aged.

Other confessions?
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Chris Foley
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 640
Joined: July 25th, 2015, 9:01 am
Location: Manchester, CT

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#2 Post by Chris Foley » August 8th, 2019, 4:56 am

I admit to being flavor curious.
Chris F.

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 31830
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#3 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » August 8th, 2019, 5:24 am

It’s a dotted line, not a brick wall for me. Michel Rolland is not the anti-christ.

Last night a glass of Pepiere Muscadet was the perfect foil for my appetizer. If I had been grilling a ribeye the choice could have been a Pride Reserve Cabernet.

I eat more food that suits Baudry, Selbach-Oster, Dirty & Rowdy and Idlewild (to name a few), but with a few notable exceptions, I won’t turn my nose up at a big, rich wine.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20480
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#4 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 8th, 2019, 6:19 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 4:53 am
We have all had a wonderful time making fun of Ovid Alfert and his recent foray into the land of Rolland. But, I have to believe that most of us have had similar transgressions. Time for confession.

1. I visited Martinelli in the late 1990s or early 2000s and bought their wines for a couple of years. Thought their Chardonnay was pretty good and their pinot was tasty young, but did not age. After a couple of years of so, I decided I would rather buy more burgundy and stopped buying this.
Funny that my wife and I stopped at Martinelli on this trip. We are driving from the coast to Ovid, that stupid Tesla sucking battery charge like crazy, and the winery actually had a Tesla charger. So we hooked up, went into the tasting room to kill some time, and experienced some of the most horrid wines of my life. All of the Zins were over 16%. This puppy was a milkshake in the true definition of the word - well, milkshake with about 7 shots of rum:

80395CC0-381C-4127-A259-67C06BB8C78C.jpeg

And of course - yes, blame it on the wife - we grabbed a bottle for shi*ts and giggles. It was not cheap for a Zin, either. $58. So that EV charge cost me $100 with tasting fee, bottle and tax! To get like 15 extra miles on the battery. And I needed all of it to get to Ovid Mountain to experience my faux epiphany.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11368
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Close to William Penn's Walking Purchase

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#5 Post by Richard T r i m p i » August 8th, 2019, 6:49 am

Martinelli Guiseppe & Luisa weaned me off of "Big Reds" for good circa 2006. I was pretty infatuated with muscle wines in the late 90s and early 2000s. The sight of that label gives me the willies.

RT

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14236
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#6 Post by Craig G » August 8th, 2019, 6:54 am

The thought of the Alferts hooking up in the Martinelli parking lot gives me the willies.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

User avatar
Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2317
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 8:24 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#7 Post by Warren Taranow » August 8th, 2019, 7:06 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 6:19 am
...Tesla sucking battery charge like crazy
What did you expect, chugging up the mountains with all of those cases of Martinelli and Ovid in the trunks.

WT
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20480
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#8 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 8th, 2019, 7:12 am

PS. Just checked the scale. Rolland made me gain 3 pounds. No wonder that Tesla sucked battery. This increases my h8!

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16242
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#9 Post by Howard Cooper » August 8th, 2019, 7:18 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 6:19 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 4:53 am
We have all had a wonderful time making fun of Ovid Alfert and his recent foray into the land of Rolland. But, I have to believe that most of us have had similar transgressions. Time for confession.

1. I visited Martinelli in the late 1990s or early 2000s and bought their wines for a couple of years. Thought their Chardonnay was pretty good and their pinot was tasty young, but did not age. After a couple of years of so, I decided I would rather buy more burgundy and stopped buying this.
Funny that my wife and I stopped at Martinelli on this trip. We are driving from the coast to Ovid, that stupid Tesla sucking battery charge like crazy, and the winery actually had a Tesla charger. So we hooked up, went into the tasting room to kill some time, and experienced some of the most horrid wines of my life. All of the Zins were over 16%. This puppy was a milkshake in the true definition of the word - well, milkshake with about 7 shots of rum:


80395CC0-381C-4127-A259-67C06BB8C78C.jpeg


And of course - yes, blame it on the wife - we grabbed a bottle for shi*ts and giggles. It was not cheap for a Zin, either. $58. So that EV charge cost me $100 with tasting fee, bottle and tax! To get like 15 extra miles on the battery. And I needed all of it to get to Ovid Mountain to experience my faux epiphany.
Never tasted any of their zins
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
NoahR
Posts: 2385
Joined: December 1st, 2013, 1:07 pm

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#10 Post by NoahR » August 8th, 2019, 7:24 am

Went to Martinelli on my first trip through Sonoma years ago. Had come highly recommended from some friends who “knew wine” and I really knew nothing at all at the time. Really, really didn’t like them and didn’t know if it was just me, or the wines. Figured out my tastes quite a few years later and it all made sense in retrospect.

Horrid glop.
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20480
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#11 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 8th, 2019, 7:26 am

Funny sidenote, the tasting room attendant felt compelled to break out the recent Robert Parker scores on all of their single vineyard zinfandel bottles. It did not appear that he knew Robert Parker had retired, but he was very proud of all the scores ranging between 94 and 98 points. Of course, all of the zinfandels with those scores, had been sold. The 98-pointer was $98 bucks!

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 26573
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Certainly NOT Orlando

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#12 Post by Corey N. » August 8th, 2019, 7:35 am

Last year I visited DC to go to a good friend's Halloween party (he posts here on occasion). To celebrate, he popped a bottle of 2009 Pavie and told me it was a Robert Owlfert wine. When I explained that Bobby hates on Pavie, he said without a trace of irony, "yeah, but if you read his tasting notes, you'd see he secretly likes big, oaky wines."

True story.
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 22149
Joined: December 3rd, 2011, 6:33 am
Location: Ovilla\Midlothian Texas

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#13 Post by CJ Beazley » August 8th, 2019, 7:39 am

I’ll play, for some reason I have some ‘06 Caymus. Looks like I bought 4 and currently have...4.
It's C(raig)

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20480
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#14 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 8th, 2019, 7:54 am

Corey N. wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 7:35 am
Last year I visited DC to go to a good friend's Halloween party (he posts here on occasion). To celebrate, he popped a bottle of 2009 Pavie and told me it was a Robert Owlfert wine. When I explained that Bobby hates on Pavie, he said without a trace of irony, "yeah, but if you read his tasting notes, you'd see he secretly likes big, oaky wines."

True story.
Ha! Check my cellar. Two-thirds is Loire, Geeky Northern Rhône and Beaujolais.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 26573
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Certainly NOT Orlando

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#15 Post by Corey N. » August 8th, 2019, 8:00 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 7:54 am
Ha! Check my cellar.
When I visited, you asked me to come see your fishtank and there was no fishtank. I'm not falling for that twice.
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20480
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#16 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 8th, 2019, 8:10 am

Corey N. wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 8:00 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 7:54 am
Ha! Check my cellar.
When I visited, you asked me to come see your fishtank and there was no fishtank. I'm not falling for that twice.
That was the lake. I was trying to push you in.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8498
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#17 Post by Scott Brunson » August 8th, 2019, 8:25 am

I confess
I love Napa Cab.
And I’m on the Saxum list.

Pretty AFWE in the rest of my cellar.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18296
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#18 Post by Alan Rath » August 8th, 2019, 8:53 am

I could make a long list of confessions from my early days of wine hobbying. But I would also like to point out that this isn't about Alf sharing embarrassing moments from his early wine days. This is about him falling off the wagon - hard. I mean, the guy went full NorCal yuppie on us, driving a Tesla, buying $300 bottles of Napa Cab (I mean, just entering the county should be enough to revoke his AFWE credentials, right?). No, we can't let him off the hook this easily. It will take time. Maybe years. Maybe never...
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16242
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#19 Post by Howard Cooper » August 8th, 2019, 9:01 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 7:54 am
Corey N. wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 7:35 am
Last year I visited DC to go to a good friend's Halloween party (he posts here on occasion). To celebrate, he popped a bottle of 2009 Pavie and told me it was a Robert Owlfert wine. When I explained that Bobby hates on Pavie, he said without a trace of irony, "yeah, but if you read his tasting notes, you'd see he secretly likes big, oaky wines."

True story.
Ha! Check my cellar. Two-thirds is Loire, Geeky Northern Rhône and Beaujolais.
Bordeaux? Like Sociando? Cantemerle? [scratch.gif]
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20480
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#20 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 8th, 2019, 9:05 am

Alan Rath wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 8:53 am
I could make a long list of confessions from my early days of wine hobbying. But I would also like to point out that this isn't about Alf sharing embarrassing moments from his early wine days. This is about him falling off the wagon - hard. I mean, the guy went full NorCal yuppie on us, driving a Tesla, buying $300 bottles of Napa Cab (I mean, just entering the county should be enough to revoke his AFWE credentials, right?). No, we can't let him off the hook this easily. It will take time. Maybe years. Maybe never...
I know, it's embarrassing.

I transformed from a modest, humble, simple wine drinker, to some corporate, pretentious yuppie scum in Teslas and Porsches asking Ovid why they don't do 200% new French oak and use mega-purple to add some heft! Quoting Parker, calling Michel, "Uncle Rollo". And showing up in pink shorts, untucked slim-fit floral shirt, designer loafers sans socks, and no shave for the extra gravistas (well, legs fully shaved to accentuated the chiseled calf muscles - a cycling thing) . . . . I mean, really. The height of poser. I did not, however, ask about a helicopter landing pad. That would have been a bit much.

[cheers.gif]

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6053
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 7:19 am
Location: Toronto

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#21 Post by Mike Grammer » August 8th, 2019, 9:16 am

Give yourself some time to grow into the idea of the helicopter landing pad. You can do it, I know you can!

Made one visit to Linne Calodo, I think back in 2009. I actually liked some of the wines :)

Martinelli's G&L Zin is (for me) higher-priced Apothic.

User avatar
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12516
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 9:59 am

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#22 Post by J a y H a c k » August 8th, 2019, 9:41 am

Confessions? I still own bottles of 1966, 1970, 1973 and 1975 Bordeaux that I bought many years ago when I thought all good wine was made in France and California wine was good for making punch at hippie weddings.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16242
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#23 Post by Howard Cooper » August 8th, 2019, 10:17 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 9:41 am
Confessions? I still own bottles of 1966, 1970, 1973 and 1975 Bordeaux that I bought many years ago when I thought all good wine was made in France and California wine was good for making punch at hippie weddings.
For Jay, the confession needs to be about some time when he bought an elegant Burgundy and liked it.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6053
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 7:19 am
Location: Toronto

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#24 Post by Mike Grammer » August 8th, 2019, 10:57 am

Almost touché---you haven't seen his cellar. ;) He doesn't bruit it about, but there are rather a number of Burgs stashed away there.

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 744
Joined: December 21st, 2013, 3:16 pm
Location: New York

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#25 Post by Greg K » August 8th, 2019, 11:09 am

I brought a bottle of Dominique Laurent to Racines ones when Pascaline was there. I think other than the late 90s Laurent's oak integrates, because he gets access to great sites. Let's just say Pascaline disagrees. Strongly.
Greg Kahn

User avatar
L.Cole
Posts: 71
Joined: June 5th, 2010, 4:02 pm
Location: Dallas, Tx

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#26 Post by L.Cole » August 8th, 2019, 11:55 am

I buy and drink wines made in CA. Worse yet.....I enjoy them. 😳
Larry Cole

User avatar
A. So
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2819
Joined: July 19th, 2011, 7:58 pm

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#27 Post by A. So » August 8th, 2019, 12:08 pm

I love Unico and Penfolds Grange
エaイdドrリiアaンn (93 pts.)

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 744
Joined: December 21st, 2013, 3:16 pm
Location: New York

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#28 Post by Greg K » August 8th, 2019, 12:11 pm

A. So wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 12:08 pm
I love Unico and Penfolds Grange
I wouldn't have thought Unico was anti-AFWE?
Greg Kahn

User avatar
K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7033
Joined: June 8th, 2011, 11:55 am
Location: Dallas

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#29 Post by K John Joseph » August 8th, 2019, 1:16 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 7:54 am
Ha! Check my cellar. Two-thirds is Loire, ... and Beaujolais.
No wonder you had cash free to buy some Ovid. At least you have 80% of your cellar made up of cellar defenders that no one else will try to drink.
J0hn-J-K4ne

User avatar
K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7033
Joined: June 8th, 2011, 11:55 am
Location: Dallas

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#30 Post by K John Joseph » August 8th, 2019, 1:18 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 9:01 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 7:54 am
Corey N. wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 7:35 am
Last year I visited DC to go to a good friend's Halloween party (he posts here on occasion). To celebrate, he popped a bottle of 2009 Pavie and told me it was a Robert Owlfert wine. When I explained that Bobby hates on Pavie, he said without a trace of irony, "yeah, but if you read his tasting notes, you'd see he secretly likes big, oaky wines."

True story.
Ha! Check my cellar. Two-thirds is Loire, Geeky Northern Rhône and Beaujolais.
Bordeaux? Like Sociando? Cantemerle? [scratch.gif]
He traded all of his Bordeaux for a case of 2010 Le Dome.
J0hn-J-K4ne

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20480
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#31 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 8th, 2019, 1:29 pm

Everything else is Bordeaux. Easy 1/3 - maybe closer to 40% after my spate of recent purchases these last two years - is old world Bordeaux. I have cleared out all of my modern drek. I bet that I have less than 10 bottles, perhaps more like 5 bottles, that are modern Bordeaux in the lexicon of how I define it. I do have one bottle of 2005 Chateau Cos and my Leve-guided purchase of 2016 Les Carmes Haut Brion, which just arrived today.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12516
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 9:59 am

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#32 Post by J a y H a c k » August 8th, 2019, 1:49 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 10:17 am
J a y H a c k wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 9:41 am
Confessions? I still own bottles of 1966, 1970, 1973 and 1975 Bordeaux that I bought many years ago when I thought all good wine was made in France and California wine was good for making punch at hippie weddings.
For Jay, the confession needs to be about some time when he bought an elegant Burgundy and liked it.
In 1978, I bought a case of 1976 Chateau de la Maltroye Clos de la Maltroye Chassagne Montrachet Rouge. In 2005, I was hosting a charity dinner at my house and someone asked, "If you store a wine properly, will it last forever." That seemed like a boring question, so instead of answering, I went downstairs, took one of the remaining bottles, brought it upstairs and handed it to my wife to decant into the new Waterford Crystal decanter we had picked up a few weeks earlier at the factory in Ireland. When the decanting was finished, the dining room smelled like someone had smashed five pounds of ripe cherries on the floor and the wine was sublimely delicious. Does that work for you?
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

User avatar
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12516
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 9:59 am

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#33 Post by J a y H a c k » August 8th, 2019, 1:52 pm

Mike Grammer wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 10:57 am
Almost touché---you haven't seen his cellar. ;) He doesn't bruit it about, but there are rather a number of Burgs stashed away there.
STFU. Next he's going to come and try to drink some of my 2005 GCs.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5954
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#34 Post by Mark Golodetz » August 8th, 2019, 1:56 pm

I should plead the fifth. I bought several cases of Helen Turley’s first wine BR Cohn 1984. It was a revelation at the time, completely different to anything I had ever tasted. The problem was it soon became boring, and it gained no complexity with age. Now I use it as a warning.
ITB
I could agree with you, but then we both would be wrong.

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13694
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#35 Post by Jay Miller » August 8th, 2019, 1:58 pm

At one of our blind tastings I enjoyed a modern Spanish wine. It was called something like terabithia or oldmanthia. Not quite sure.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Kelly Flynn
Posts: 726
Joined: March 14th, 2018, 11:12 am

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#36 Post by Kelly Flynn » August 8th, 2019, 2:23 pm

Folks, there is a solution to still owning certain monstrosities acquired in our less considered youth: charity auctions.

Last year one got $1,000 for my 3L of 2003 Bellevue Mondotte. The reviews said it all: mocha, caramel, nougat. I hope the buyer (donor) likes it. A win/win/win.

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20480
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#37 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 8th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Kelly Flynn wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 2:23 pm
Folks, there is a solution to still owning certain monstrosities acquired in our less considered youth: charity auctions.

Last year one got $1,000 for my 3L of 2003 Bellevue Mondotte. The reviews said it all: mocha, caramel, nougat. I hope the buyer (donor) likes it. A win/win/win.
Reminds me of a confession: I bought and consumed a 2003 Bellevue Mondotte. I’n my defense, back in 2005, I had been out of the wine game for 5-6 years, and had no clue what had happened to Parker’s palate and that once wonderful region called St Emilion. That wine was horrid.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

josh bryer
Posts: 60
Joined: May 9th, 2010, 4:07 pm

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#38 Post by josh bryer » August 8th, 2019, 5:30 pm

I have 3 cases of SQN in the cellar, yep, I said it. I'm even looking forward to drinking some of them! Pull my AFWE card now and force me to give away all my burgs to more deserving cardholders....

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16242
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#39 Post by Howard Cooper » August 8th, 2019, 5:44 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 1:49 pm
Howard Cooper wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 10:17 am
J a y H a c k wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 9:41 am
Confessions? I still own bottles of 1966, 1970, 1973 and 1975 Bordeaux that I bought many years ago when I thought all good wine was made in France and California wine was good for making punch at hippie weddings.
For Jay, the confession needs to be about some time when he bought an elegant Burgundy and liked it.
In 1978, I bought a case of 1976 Chateau de la Maltroye Clos de la Maltroye Chassagne Montrachet Rouge. In 2005, I was hosting a charity dinner at my house and someone asked, "If you store a wine properly, will it last forever." That seemed like a boring question, so instead of answering, I went downstairs, took one of the remaining bottles, brought it upstairs and handed it to my wife to decant into the new Waterford Crystal decanter we had picked up a few weeks earlier at the factory in Ireland. When the decanting was finished, the dining room smelled like someone had smashed five pounds of ripe cherries on the floor and the wine was sublimely delicious. Does that work for you?
[thankyou.gif] [winner.gif]

I am a big fan of Chassagne reds
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12516
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 9:59 am

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#40 Post by J a y H a c k » August 8th, 2019, 7:01 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 1:58 pm
At one of our blind tastings I enjoyed a modern Spanish wine. It was called something like terabithia or oldmanthia. Not quite sure.
Termanthia. 2001 or 2002. A great inky wine made from pre-phyloxera grapes. I have another bottle if you want to try some more.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18296
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#41 Post by Alan Rath » August 8th, 2019, 8:45 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 7:01 pm
Termanthia. 2001 or 2002. A great inky wine made from pre-phyloxera grapes. I have another bottle if you want to try some more.
It’s a great bottle! Large and heavy, I use one as my double decanting bottle. The wine is not really my style, but the bottle is great [wow.gif]
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

User avatar
Pat Martin
Posts: 2550
Joined: May 22nd, 2011, 11:38 pm

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#42 Post by Pat Martin » August 8th, 2019, 9:22 pm

This is a safe space, right? No (real) names (come on, Owlfert?), no judgement? Okay then...

I still really enjoy 1995-2000 Monbousquet. I am not sure I think of them as wine per se, they’re more like a delicious and surprisingly complex/exotic daiquiri. But fun to drink.
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1402
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#43 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » August 8th, 2019, 11:41 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 4:53 am
We have all had a wonderful time making fun of Ovid Alfert and his recent foray into the land of Rolland. But, I have to believe that most of us have had similar transgressions. Time for confession.

1. I visited Martinelli in the late 1990s or early 2000s and bought their wines for a couple of years. Thought their Chardonnay was pretty good and their pinot was tasty young, but did not age. After a couple of years of so, I decided I would rather buy more burgundy and stopped buying this.

2. I used to go every year to Bassin's California Barrel Sample tasting. On year, I really liked a Peter Michael les Pavots 1997 and bought some. After finding zero signs of maturation in the wine over time, I eventually got rid of what I had left.

I also was buying Phelps Insignia in the 1990s but I put this in a different class. I used to love the way Phelps Cabs from the 1970s and 1980s aged. Until I saw it for myself, I was surprised that changes they made in how they made the wines meant that the wines just stayed in suspended animation over time and no longer aged.

Other confessions?
I bought Peter Michael Les Pavots in 1992-1995, and had a similar reaction to you. (Paid $28.99/btl for ‘92, $35 for ‘93, $50 for ‘94)

I sold it along with all of the other 90s Napa wines in my cellar, and my Beaucastel and other CdP. Bought Champagne, Riesling, and some Burgundy(and perhaps a bit of Cru Beaujolais).

I did not sell any of my Lytton Springs and Geyserville Zinfandels as I drank all of them...and quite a few others. Same goes for the Edmunds St Jean Syrahs.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1402
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#44 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » August 8th, 2019, 11:44 pm

Pat Martin wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 9:22 pm
This is a safe space, right? No (real) names (come on, Owlfert?), no judgement? Okay then...

I still really enjoy 1995-2000 Monbousquet. I am not sure I think of them as wine per se, they’re more like a delicious and surprisingly complex/exotic daiquiri. But fun to drink.
Awesome...
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

User avatar
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12516
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 9:59 am

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#45 Post by J a y H a c k » August 9th, 2019, 3:45 am

Pat Martin wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 9:22 pm
This is a safe space, right? No (real) names (come on, Owlfert?), no judgement? Okay then...

I still really enjoy 1995-2000 Monbousquet. I am not sure I think of them as wine per se, they’re more like a delicious and surprisingly complex/exotic daiquiri. But fun to drink.
If you enjoy the 2000, you should try the 2005. I am making my way through a case, but the wood treatment is still a bit harsh, even for me. If you come to New York, I will let you try a bottle to see if you like it. [cheers.gif]
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20480
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#46 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 9th, 2019, 5:57 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 3:45 am
Pat Martin wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 9:22 pm
This is a safe space, right? No (real) names (come on, Owlfert?), no judgement? Okay then...

I still really enjoy 1995-2000 Monbousquet. I am not sure I think of them as wine per se, they’re more like a delicious and surprisingly complex/exotic daiquiri. But fun to drink.
If you enjoy the 2000, you should try the 2005. I am making my way through a case, but the wood treatment is still a bit harsh, even for me. If you come to New York, I will let you try a bottle to see if you like it. [cheers.gif]
No. No. That 2005 is horrid!

I am putting Pat on ignore after this post. I will now only follow “Blanquito”. Jay, I follow, so that I can roll my eyes, as my palate flops, and stomach groans.

[wow.gif]

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2317
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 8:24 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#47 Post by Warren Taranow » August 9th, 2019, 6:07 am

Leonetti Cab, Pride Merlot, and Newton Unfiltered Chardonnay were my gateway wines in the early 2000’s. They’re all long gone, so I’ll never know if the rambunctious fruit settled down or the oak integrated.
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Jonathan Loesberg
Posts: 1644
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 5:59 am

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#48 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » August 9th, 2019, 7:10 am

Anyone can confess to liking anti-AFWE wines if, in fact, that's what they like. Or recount once liking them now that they no longer do. Or even liking wines that other AFWE people don't like, even though they think of themselves as AFWE (taste being screwy in the way that it is). If we want to make Alfert feel better, we should confess to oaky alcoholic montrosities that we liked despite thinking of ourselves as AFWE people. I, for instance, have had more than one Cambie wine get past me at large tastings. I don't remember their names, though, no doubt as a matter of defense mechanisms exerting themselves.

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13694
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#49 Post by Jay Miller » August 9th, 2019, 8:12 am

Pat Martin wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 9:22 pm
This is a safe space, right? No (real) names (come on, Owlfert?), no judgement? Okay then...

I still really enjoy 1995-2000 Monbousquet. I am not sure I think of them as wine per se, they’re more like a delicious and surprisingly complex/exotic daiquiri. But fun to drink.
Who said anything about no judgement? Still, perhaps you are more sinned against than sinning. I saw the best palates if my generation ruined by...

The 1995 Monbousquet was the very last time I took Parker’s advice on a wine. Fortunately I only bought one bottle.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 744
Joined: December 21st, 2013, 3:16 pm
Location: New York

Re: AFWE confessions - aka let us make Alfert feel better

#50 Post by Greg K » August 9th, 2019, 8:18 am

Jay Miller wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 8:12 am
Pat Martin wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 9:22 pm
This is a safe space, right? No (real) names (come on, Owlfert?), no judgement? Okay then...

I still really enjoy 1995-2000 Monbousquet. I am not sure I think of them as wine per se, they’re more like a delicious and surprisingly complex/exotic daiquiri. But fun to drink.
Who said anything about no judgement? Still, perhaps you are more sinned against than sinning. I saw the best palates if my generation ruined by...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Barrels of new oak on fire off the shoulder of Michel Rolland. I watched reverse osmosis filters glitter in the dark near Chateau Pavie. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time for my palate to die.
Greg Kahn

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”