24 Hours In Oregon Wine Country

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

24 Hours In Oregon Wine Country

#1 Post by JDavisRoby » August 5th, 2019, 7:02 pm

Have about 24 hours to explore Oregon wine in late September. Land at PDX at 11 AM and have to be back at PDX in time to catch a 2:45 PM flight next day.

Would love to see Goodfellow, Biggio-Hamina and PGC in but I’m worried that would be too much windshield time.

Better to stay in Portland and explore the tasting rooms there? I’ve done the brewery and coffee thing in Portland before so that’s of no interest.

Or, rush to McMinnville, taste, stay overnight and head back to Portland the next morning?

Not sure I want to do a couple tastings and then drive back to Portland that night. If so, recommend a car service over a rental?

I’ve read multiple OR/WV threads on WB but none as whirlwind as this! And, I’m not sure I saw any car service recommendations although it appears many exist from an online search.
Joshu@

Scott Tallman

Re: 24 Hours In Oregon Wine Country

#2 Post by Scott Tallman » August 5th, 2019, 7:25 pm

I’d drive to McM. I could be forgetting someone, but other than Division, you’ll Have way better tasting experience in the valley.

You should arrive by 1, unless you stop along the way. If you can coordinate with the wineries’ availability, no reason you couldn’t hit PGC on the way to McM, then Todd and Marcus (or Vice versa). If you need food en route, stop at Red Hills Market in Dundee or stop at Valley Commissary in McM before visiting Todd & Marcus.

Then enjoy a nice evening in McM - if you like beer, hit Heater Allen if they are open, Allegory Brewing or Bitter Monk beer bar (usually pretty awesome tap list + bottles). Lots of nice restaurants - Thistle, Bistro Maison, La Rambla, etc.

You could probably schedule a tasting for the next morning on your return to PDX. Community has good breakfast, but I prefer the coffee at Flag & Wire.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Mike Kuller

#3 Post by Mike Kuller » August 5th, 2019, 7:37 pm

A local friend who did consulting in Portland for a couple of years raves about Wine on Broadway. Very knowledgeable women who run it who suggest some excellent Oregon pinot noirs to try.
Last edited by Mike Kuller on August 6th, 2019, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No Vino Sin Cojones

Mike Kuller

#4 Post by Mike Kuller » August 5th, 2019, 7:37 pm

duplicate
Last edited by Mike Kuller on August 6th, 2019, 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No Vino Sin Cojones

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Sean_S » August 5th, 2019, 7:45 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 7:25 pm
I’d drive to McM. I could be forgetting someone, but other than Division, you’ll Have way better tasting experience in the valley.

You should arrive by 1, unless you stop along the way. If you can coordinate with the wineries’ availability, no reason you couldn’t hit PGC on the way to McM, then Todd and Marcus (or Vice versa). If you need food en route, stop at Red Hills Market in Dundee or stop at Valley Commissary in McM before visiting Todd & Marcus.

Then enjoy a nice evening in McM - if you like beer, hit Heater Allen if they are open, Allegory Brewing or Bitter Monk beer bar (usually pretty awesome tap list + bottles). Lots of nice restaurants - Thistle, Bistro Maison, La Rambla, etc.

You could probably schedule a tasting for the next morning on your return to PDX. Community has good breakfast, but I prefer the coffee at Flag & Wire.
The pulled pork breakfast burrito at Community is awesome and they were serving 1-2 Flag and Wire coffees when I was in there.

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

Yao C

#6 Post by Yao C » August 5th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Do stop by Pix Patisserie/Bar Vivant in Portland for the best champagne list on the West Coast, if champagne is your jam. I'd love to join you :)
C h 0 o n 6

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#7 Post by Todd Hamina » August 5th, 2019, 8:23 pm

Tough call. But if you can get out of PDX quickly and head straight to Mac (but plan on 90-120 minute drive). See me first?, then park in McMinnville proper so you could walk to Goodfellow, Heater Allen, dining etc and it will all work out fine.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Rick Allen » August 5th, 2019, 8:28 pm

If you want to check out Heater Allen, give me a call and I'll pour you a few tastes if I'm around (which is usually the case). There is a new restaurant in town - Pizza Capo. It's good.

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by JDavisRoby » August 5th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Thank you for the feedback. Leaning heavily towards spending the night in McMinnville. Once I get it all ironed out will reach out for a few appointments.

I saw a few negative comments on the Hotel Oregon. Stayed at their property in Bend last year. It was not luxurious by any stretch but adequately quirky. Similar sentiment about Hotel Oregon?

I’m a big VRBO guy when I travel. Have to say this Yurt is quite appealing in a likely overwhelmingly quirky way.

https://t.vrbo.io/YfEBvIK3UY
Last edited by JDavisRoby on August 6th, 2019, 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joshu@

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by PeterH » August 5th, 2019, 9:13 pm

I've stayed at the Hotel Oregon many times. Avoid it on weekends, especially holiday weekends. Otherwise, you will enjoy the stay unless you
need lots of space and total silence.

For families I recommend Third Street Flats. If you need luxury, Atticus Hotel fills the bill (in more ways than one).
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by JDavisRoby » August 5th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Peter, I looked at Atticus after reading other threads. It looks very nice but for a quick one night trip it’s hard for me to get excited about paying $400/night.

It’ll just be two of us so a large flat would be overkill.
Joshu@

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Sean_S » August 5th, 2019, 9:29 pm

PeterH wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 9:13 pm
I've stayed at the Hotel Oregon many times. Avoid it on weekends, especially holiday weekends. Otherwise, you will enjoy the stay unless you

For families I recommend Third Street Flats. If you need luxury, Atticus Hotel fills the bill (in more ways than one).
Love Hotel Oregon but beware you don't get a private bathroom. My wife loves the quirkiness but won't stay there because of the bathroom situation.

Sean

Dav1d S@wyer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Dav1d S@wyer » August 5th, 2019, 11:19 pm

Todd Hamina wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 8:23 pm
Tough call. But if you can get out of PDX quickly and head straight to Mac (but plan on 90-120 minute drive). See me first?, then park in McMinnville proper so you could walk to Goodfellow, Heater Allen, dining etc and it will all work out fine.
I'd do this. You could then hit Eyrie and/or Westrey which are both within walking distance to Goodfellow. Rick Allen's beers are not to be underestimated either. They are fantastic and right in the same area.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#14 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » August 5th, 2019, 11:20 pm

JDavisRoby wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 9:06 pm
Thank you for the feedback. Leaning heavily towards spending the night in McMinnville. Once I get it all ironed out will reach out for a few appointments.

I saw a few negative comments on the Hotel Oregon. Stayed at their property in Bend last year. It was luxurious by any stretch but adequately quirky. Similar sentiment about Hotel Oregon?

I’m a big VRBO guy when I travel. Have to say this Yurt is quite appealing in a likely overwhelmingly quirky way.

https://t.vrbo.io/YfEBvIK3UY
Sounds like a great day trip!

VRBO is a good choice, and Mac has quite a few options.

I would guess the drive out would be less than 120 minutes, and would suggest you head straight to Mac and hit PGC in the morning on the way back to town.

Scott and Sean are on point. Don’t miss Heater-Allen. And I would add Valley Commissary to your breakfast thoughts.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by JDavisRoby » August 6th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Thanks Marcus. I will reach out to schedule an appointment once I have details finalized. Thanks!
Joshu@

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by James Lyon » August 6th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Yeah, I would recommend staying overnight in McMinnville. Lots of VRBO options and you should have plenty of time for your preferred visits. That's a great lineup for 24 hours with Biggio Hamina, Goodfellow on Day 1 and PGC on Day 2.

And as others have mentioned, go see Rick at Heater Allen. Wonderful beers and I look forward to seeing Lisa in Charlotte at next weekend's Lager Fest.

James

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by JDavisRoby » August 6th, 2019, 1:59 pm

Sean_S wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 9:29 pm
PeterH wrote:

Love Hotel Oregon but beware you don't get a private bathroom. My wife loves the quirkiness but won't stay there because of the bathroom situation.

Sean
Not sure how many but they do have queen and king rooms available with a private bathroom.
Joshu@

Ian H

#18 Post by Ian H » August 6th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Yeah definitely get out of Portland right away and down into the Valley. It's a pretty easy/quick drive. Nothing against Portland, good city, but might as well do it right and you have enough time.
@@S

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#19 Post by Todd Hamina » August 6th, 2019, 6:45 pm

You could stay here... https://pastryranch.wordpress.com/
-BiggioHamina

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by JDavisRoby » August 6th, 2019, 7:36 pm

Todd, are you saying the yurt should be out? https://t.vrbo.io/YfEBvIK3UY
Joshu@

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#21 Post by Todd Hamina » August 6th, 2019, 7:46 pm

I would never dissuade you from getting your yurt on.
-BiggioHamina

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Sean_S » August 6th, 2019, 8:02 pm

JDavisRoby wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 1:59 pm
Sean_S wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 9:29 pm
PeterH wrote:

Sean
Not sure how many but they do have queen and king rooms available with a private bathroom.
That's good to know for our next visit. Thanks!

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by JDavisRoby » August 12th, 2019, 8:43 pm

Any opinions on renting a car versus using Uber or a private car service?
Joshu@

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Jason T » August 12th, 2019, 9:11 pm

Todd Hamina wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 6:45 pm
You could stay here... https://pastryranch.wordpress.com/
+1 for Pastry Ranch. Stayed here last fall and the hosts are top-notch.
J@son Tr@ughber

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#25 Post by Todd Hamina » August 12th, 2019, 10:04 pm

If you stay at the pastry ranch, Jim could drive you around perhaps. He makes airport runs too.
-BiggioHamina

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by JDavisRoby » August 14th, 2019, 7:25 am

Unfortunately the Pastry Ranch has a two night minimum stay.

PM’s and emails on their way to set up appointments. Thanks!
Joshu@

Return to “Wine Talk”