TN: 1969 Mayacamas Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon

Close to impeccable condition on the bottle. Clean label with just a few nicks. High should fill. Cork level fine. Capsule still spins.

Cork tip broke on extraction but top piece was clean. No issues. While I normally would have done a pop and pour on an older bottle like this, the travel to our resort shook it a bit. We had it strained and decanted.

Gorgeous, transparent ruby red color. Nose initially had me worried with what seemed a little corkiness. Blew off shortly to an old Bordeaux perfume, musk, tobacco, dried fruits and a soft barnyard wood note. And yay, perfectly alive, like en elegant aging soul. Clearly well past apogee, but had such a lovely range of dried red and dark fruits, forrest floor, tobacco leaf and a distinct citrus note on the finish. Showed a touch of sherry over time but that only added some interesting complexity as this wine faded into the sunset. An excellent wine to share with my close friend on his 50th.

ABV 12%

27421E38-8F6E-41B4-AFAA-6488C835F532.jpeg
E04177C2-BF3F-47CD-9F53-D352FE7EF43C.jpeg

We’re talking about the wine, right?

That note sounds a lot like the 1965 Mouton, which you grabbed for your 50th, that you opened in Orlando.

Cut and paste!

50 year old Napa Cab still drinking well! Compare that to the 2010 Cab that I had last month that was already over the hill. Amazing

Great tasting note, thanks for sharing. I turn 50 later this year - I wish I had something that profound to usher in my next decade.

Very nice, very nice. Good 50th bday wine.
We had a '68 Mayacamas a few years back that was one of the best CA Cabs I’ve ever tasted. Serious juice.

Are you saying a 2010 Mayacamas cab that you had recently was over the hill? Hope not…have quite a few in the cellar (sons birth year).

Ain’t nothing elegant about this yak. I’m all Neanderthal. And fighting age going down fighting. I show better than this Mayacamas: more pomp, ceremony, hubris and bombast. The only age I show is wisdom and an ever-so-slight thinning and greying of the mane…

I bet Robert is available flirtysmile

Nice! I had the 66 blind a few years back and was absolutely floored upon reveal.

So, more like the Ovid than the Mayacamas?

Interesting you connected these. I forgot an exchange that I had with the young host at Ovid. He seemed to be pretty well-connected and ears to the ground, except that, he had not heard of Morgan/Bedrock. I was shocked. I gave the guy a bottle of the Bedrock Monticello Cab, which I just happened to have in the car. I asked him what Cabs he enjoyed, and he said Mayacamas and Ridge, not knowing that those are two faves of mine as well. Now that said, I have not had any recent vintages of Mayacamas. How is it doing these days?

Rich,

No It wasn’t Mayacamas. It was a Cabernet from a producer on the trail, who’s name I cannot mention because they are a good family.

I have not had any Mayacamas since it was sold.

Ok gotcha. Thanks Chris - good to know.

Birth year for me, would love to taste that one. Thanks for the note!

If I may Robert, what is truly amazing is how well it did show, given that it had been on two plane trips the same week.

You know that “bottle shock” reference is the subject of much debate, no?

I stood it up for several days before opening, but yea, the color still reflected the movement.