TN: 2014 Meo Camuzet Clos Vougeot

‘14 Meo Camuzet Clos Vougeot

From 375. Very closed and austere on opening, after 3 hours open in bottle things started to open up a bit more. Nose is still not very giving but is dark-red fruited, light spice and some oak evident. Very primary and still very closed but there is clearly good concentration with more dark red fruit built around a fairly significant tannic spine. Saline, meaty and rich with nice acidity and lift on the back end. This is poised and polished, but in this case I don’t find that polish to be a detriment in the way I do many times with Vogue, for instance. Finishes impressively long with more tannic bite. Mild reduction. I wouldn’t touch this for at least 7-10 years.

Thanks for the note Josh.

Right on Jeremy. As an aside, I really appreciate all your tasting notes on CT. I find them really insightful and helpful for wines I’m thinking about opening or purchasing without-tasting. I aim to be as prolific one day!

We’ve got a 2013 in the mix at dinner tonight, so will report back on that.

This note was perfect. We have some of those sitting, so I will not rush into anything.

I have some '12 as well, but no '13 so I’m keen to hear your note…

Glad it was helpful Anton. Yea, based on this bottle and my taste, I would definitely not feel the need to open anytime soon. I think that once the fruit re-emerges with some aged burg sweetness, if it maintains the saline meaty quality in addition, it will be really nice. It was a contemplative wine that was fairly serious in tone, and I figure it will likely remain that way to some extent.

Here’s notes on the 2013 Meo Clos Vougeot from tonight - conglomerating everyone’s comments. Acid driven, linear, precise. A floral nose. Intense with structure. Will age indefinitely. Earthy minerality. Savory. Sweet and silky, with Vosne Romanee spice. I liked it a lot. Two of the six liked it better than the 2009 Dujac Charmes Chambertin served along side.

Thanks for the note Brad, sounds excellent!