Is it legitimate to post about expensive wines?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

Is it legitimate to post about expensive wines?

#1 Post by Howard Cooper » August 5th, 2019, 4:38 am

I have been reading a number of posts lately by members calling out others for posting about something they perceived to be too elite. A couple of links makes my point (but if I looked, I could find many similar posts):

See, e.g.,

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=162564 (post 40)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=161747&p=2758682&hi ... e#p2758682 (e.g., post 15)

Are these legitimate complaints. Should there be a cap on the price or quantity of wines people should place on the wines they discuss on this board or are the complaints out of line.

If you are in favor of a cap, where do you draw the line: DRC? first growths? California Cults? Tete de Cuvees? Should we only be discussing QPR wines?

Obviously, I don't like the posts I have referenced or things like them - I think they reek too much of jealousy and not much else. Different posters have different amounts of money, different priorities in life, bought wine at different times (most of my 1982 Bordeauxs cost $15 or less) or at different prices (I have bought wines at wineries in Europe at far different prices than I see in the US). But, I wanted to see what the board thinks. Is there a line that should be drawn.
Last edited by Howard Cooper on August 5th, 2019, 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

IlkkaL

Re: Is it legitimate to post about expensive wines?

#2 Post by IlkkaL » August 5th, 2019, 5:04 am

Is this a serious question? I think just the number of people who clearly enjoyed the second thread shows you that there is no need for any kind of a "cap".
Last name = L u !V! !V! e

Victor Hong

#3 Post by Victor Hong » August 5th, 2019, 5:07 am

Freedoms to post, read, and even ignore go together.
WineHunter.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Howard Cooper » August 5th, 2019, 5:11 am

Victor Hong wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 5:07 am
I don't have any issue with ignoring - just with calling people out for spending too much money or for buying things only a limited number of people could afford (which really applies to virtually every wine posted on this board).
Howard

Victor Hong

#5 Post by Victor Hong » August 5th, 2019, 5:14 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 5:11 am
Victor Hong wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 5:07 am
I don't have any issue with ignoring - just with calling people out for spending too much money or for buying things only a limited number of people could afford (which really applies to virtually every wine posted on this board).
Ignore them. Their ability to make personal consumption choices is not exclusive to themselves.
WineHunter.

Neal.Mollen

#6 Post by Neal.Mollen » August 5th, 2019, 5:15 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 4:38 am
I have been reading a number of posts lately by members calling out others for posting about something they perceived to be too elite. A couple of links makes my point (but if I looked, I could find many similar posts):

See, e.g.,

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=161747&p=2758682&hi ... e#p2758682 (e.g., post 16)

Are these legitimate complaints. Should there be a cap on the price or quantity of wines people should place on the wines they discuss on this board or are the complaints out of line.

If you are in favor of a cap, where do you draw the line: DRC? first growths? California Cults? Tete de Cuvees? Should we only be discussing QPR wines?

Obviously, I don't like the posts I have referenced or things like them - I think they reek too much of jealousy and not much else. Different posters have different amounts of money, different priorities in life, bought wine at different times (most of my 1982 Bordeauxs cost $15 or less) or at different prices (I have bought wines at wineries in Europe at far different prices than I see in the US). But, I wanted to see what the board thinks. Is there a line that should be drawn.
I've seen posts of the sort you reference, but I don't think either of the ones you posted qualify (and the second one is actually Kelly's response to a prior comment about the cost of the wines).

Kevin routinely comes in for abuse for his lavish lunches; I enjoy reading about them. These are opportunities to share glorious wines with other wine nuts, and if you have the wines or can afford to buy them off the list, more power to you. I can't imagine ever being in that class, or feeling comfortable spending the money that way even if I had it, but I certainly don't begrudge anyone their personal "excesses."

A variant of this issue is the 5-people-23-bottle lunch complaint. That, to me, has somewhat greater validity, since it inevitably means that exceptional -- even historic -- wines sit on a crowded table and get less than the focus I would think they deserve (maybe ending up in a spit bucket or a drain someplace). But even there, I am in no position to dictate how others spend their time or money, and the threads make for interesting reading.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Brian Tuite » August 5th, 2019, 5:29 am

My Mom said everyone gets an invitation or you’re not having a party. What a ridiculous thread.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Howard Cooper » August 5th, 2019, 6:04 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 5:15 am
Howard Cooper wrote:

See, e.g.,

I've seen posts of the sort you reference, but I don't think either of the ones you posted qualify (and the second one is actually Kelly's response to a prior comment about the cost of the wines).

Kevin routinely comes in for abuse for his lavish lunches; I enjoy reading about them. These are opportunities to share glorious wines with other wine nuts, and if you have the wines or can afford to buy them off the list, more power to you. I can't imagine ever being in that class, or feeling comfortable spending the money that way even if I had it, but I certainly don't begrudge anyone their personal "excesses."

A variant of this issue is the 5-people-23-bottle lunch complaint. That, to me, has somewhat greater validity, since it inevitably means that exceptional -- even historic -- wines sit on a crowded table and get less than the focus I would think they deserve (maybe ending up in a spit bucket or a drain someplace). But even there, I am in no position to dictate how others spend their time or money, and the threads make for interesting reading.
You are correct. I meant post 15 and will correct.
Howard

Robert Sand

#9 Post by Robert Sand » August 5th, 2019, 6:24 am

Everybody is entitled to post about more or less expensive wines here imo - it´s more about the reason and attitude.
When the reason is to share informations and experiences I very much appreciate it.
When it´s about showing off "look what we are able to open, how much we can spend per night/what we have in the cellar" then it easily and quickly creates a sour taste of boastfulness.
I definitely hate it when a bottle of high class wine remains unfinished on the table due to the sheer number of bottles opened, just to taste something more rare/expensive.
It is absolutely impossible that 5 people drink up 23 bottles of wine - it´s totally excessive, it´s a complete waste, it´s a great pity. (I did not read the cited thread though).
So it´s up to everybody how he/she presents himself/hersef here - I certainly draw my conclusions from it ---

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Jim F » August 5th, 2019, 6:29 am

Censorship?
Jim Freeman

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Dan Hammer » August 5th, 2019, 6:44 am

I enjoy reading the posts of the gentleman from France and The Philippines. It's fun to read about high end wines and lavish meals.

Howard, I think you're off base here.
This space for rent.

Peter Valiquette

#12 Post by Peter Valiquette » August 5th, 2019, 7:07 am

I thought this was covered in the excessible ballin thread.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Howard Cooper » August 5th, 2019, 7:11 am

Dan Hammer wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 6:44 am
I enjoy reading the posts of the gentleman from France and The Philippines. It's fun to read about high end wines and lavish meals.

I think you should reread my OP and what I am objecting to.
Howard

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Sh@n A » August 5th, 2019, 7:14 am

I don't drink every wine, but I enjoy hearing about them (the highs and lows). I hope this thread does not shame those who drink these wines from sharing their stories and notes.
/ @ g r @ \

Yao C

#15 Post by Yao C » August 5th, 2019, 7:32 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
This is, more or less, a statement posing as a question. Given that the posts in question are very much in the minority, why not simply ignore them?
C h 0 o n 6

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Peter Petersen » August 5th, 2019, 7:39 am

Of course people can post on whatever wines they like. Not everyone has to enjoy reading them. But presumably, we don’t need to reverse legislate and curtail a few complaints.

Scott G r u n e r

#17 Post by Scott G r u n e r » August 5th, 2019, 7:41 am

You are allowed to post on ultra expensive wines and tastings permitted you ship me one representative bottle per occurrence. Thank you.
//Cynic

Bdklein

#18 Post by Bdklein » August 5th, 2019, 7:43 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 7:11 am
Dan Hammer wrote:

I did and I still don’t understand.
Bruce Klein

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#19 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » August 5th, 2019, 8:00 am

Howard,

The negative posts in response to the type of TN's you mention are far, far less frequent than they were on Squires or the early years of this board. If the post contains tasting notes and not just a list of wines, there should be no problem whatever the cost of the wines.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

John J
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by John J » August 5th, 2019, 8:12 am

Even though sometimes the ‘nectar and ambrosia’ posted may be out of my league, I enjoy seeing what other people drink. I think a good number of people that frequent such wine are pretty honest about the quality of what they drink. This and cellar tracker are valuable resources for me personally, especially considering the price point of Burgundy these days, to see what bottles may be shut down, dead, or just bad QPR.
J. Johnson

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#21 Post by c fu » August 5th, 2019, 8:14 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 6:04 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 5:15 am
Howard Cooper wrote:

See, e.g.,

You are correct. I meant post 15 and will correct.

This is post 15
Was there any kind of budget for this trip???? I would be impressed to see the restaurant bills. It must be weird to come back to what many of us know as the "real world". I must say the documentation was pretty thorough. I cannot remember any thread that comes close to this one in terms of drinking highlights. Would be happy to attend one of these dinners with your group in the future...that would require a second mortgage however!
Where is this a complaint? The person basically says he’d love to go and complimented the documentation. He just realizes it’d be expensive to do so..
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Neal.Mollen

#22 Post by Neal.Mollen » August 5th, 2019, 8:16 am

Dan Hammer wrote:

I think you and Howard agree. And you both agree with me, which makes you right.

RickieM

#23 Post by RickieM » August 5th, 2019, 8:23 am

I propose WB institute a sliding scale of access to posts. All current members will have to submit copies of their tax returns or other statements to verify their financial condition, and this will be a requirement of all future members. Each member will be assigned a posting level commensurate with their income level/net worth. Each member shall then only be allowed to view posts from members either at or below their own posting level or one level above.

That way, no one's feelings will be hurt and there will be no jealousy from someone reading about wines that, based on the member's financial situation, are out of reach of that member. That will allow them to sleep at night instead of endlessly tossing and turning in turmoil.

Conversely, that will remove the motivation of the rich and famous to lord it over their less financially well-off fellow members by posting about wines that these lesser members can't possibly afford.

Or just chuck what I proposed above and let the 1st Amendment be observed.
Rickie Miy@ke

Jeff_M.

#24 Post by Jeff_M. » August 5th, 2019, 8:28 am

We all grapple with a limit on cost per bottle and also how much wine we can buy and store at any one time. Everyone has a different pool of resources they are working with. For those of us who can't justify premium high dollar wines, at least we get to see some feedback on those wines because we sure aren't buying them.

I stick to what I feel I can afford within my own price threshold and when a wine I like crosses an invisible price line, I stop buying it and move on to something else.
Jeff M 0 l l

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Chris Seiber » August 5th, 2019, 8:31 am

c fu wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 8:14 am

This is post 15
Was there any kind of budget for this trip???? I would be impressed to see the restaurant bills. It must be weird to come back to what many of us know as the "real world". I must say the documentation was pretty thorough. I cannot remember any thread that comes close to this one in terms of drinking highlights. Would be happy to attend one of these dinners with your group in the future...that would require a second mortgage however!
Where is this a complaint? The person basically says he’d love to go and complimented the documentation. He just realizes it’d be expensive to do so..
And this is the other post:
Thing is, how many people have the resources to be buying in Britain? I'm all for good wine prices, but I don't purchase in pallet quantities that Mark has said he does on occasion, and I don't think most of us here could do either.
It’s part of some discussion about whether there is enough of a point in trying to get better wine pricing out of the current dip in the Pound, by ordering in large quantities from England.

Neither quote seems to be the “you should not post tasting notes about expensive wines” thing the original post claims. Or even close.

I’ve been an active poster here a long time and that frankly just isn’t a significant issue here. There have been a handful of times over the years someone had made a snipe about when six dudes have dinner and open $10k worth of wine for it or something, but even that represents less than 1% of the reaction to those kinds of posts.

I think it’s a non-issue, to be honest.
Last edited by Chris Seiber on August 5th, 2019, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neal.Mollen

#26 Post by Neal.Mollen » August 5th, 2019, 8:37 am

RickieM wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 8:23 am
I propose WB institute a sliding scale of access to posts. All current members will have to submit copies of their tax returns or other statements to verify their financial condition, and this will be a requirement of all future members. Each member will be assigned a posting level commensurate with their income level/net worth. Each member shall then only be allowed to view posts from members either at or below their own posting level or one level above.

That way, no one's feelings will be hurt and there will be no jealousy from someone reading about wines that, based on the member's financial situation, are out of reach of that member. That will allow them to sleep at night instead of endlessly tossing and turning in turmoil.

Conversely, that will remove the motivation of the rich and famous to lord it over their less financially well-off fellow members by posting about wines that these lesser members can't possibly afford.

Or just chuck what I proposed above and let the 1st Amendment be observed.
The First Amendment is irrelevant here, and I can't ever give up my returns because I am under perpetual audit

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by scamhi » August 5th, 2019, 8:46 am

To me there is nothing illegitimate about these posts. The parties involved have these bottles and are drinking them. More power to them, let them enjoy themselves.
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Ken Strauss » August 5th, 2019, 8:47 am

I agree with all the comments here.
That said...
10 years and 16,000 posts and you ask this?
Really a pretty silly question.
This thread belongs in the asylum.
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by J a y H a c k » August 5th, 2019, 8:52 am

Anyone who complains about the cost of the wines other people write about is barred from the obnoxious hedonistic bashes I host in my back yard and eating the ridiculous food. I have tasted lots of great wines because they were shared by others. In my experience, wine collectors are more than willing to share fancy expensive wines with others. How else do you explain the Roumier that someone opened last week in my backyard? I'm still waiting for someone to show up with a DRC, and I apologize for not opening the 1973 Mouton (RMP 65 Points) which I had intended to open with the steak, but I spent too much time cutting meat.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Anton D » August 5th, 2019, 8:53 am

Alan Eden is looking up at this thread, smiling.

The force is strong with you, Howard! [cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Dan Hammer » August 5th, 2019, 8:54 am

Bdklein wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 7:43 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
Dan Hammer wrote:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

dh
This space for rent.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by J a y H a c k » August 5th, 2019, 8:54 am

Ken Strauss wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 8:47 am
. . . 10 years and 16,000 posts and you ask this?
. . .
Although it pains me to come to Howard's defense, he says that he doesn't like the posts in question. This topic has been vetted before and and I think it is worthy of periodic resurfacing.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Anton D » August 5th, 2019, 9:02 am

Dan Hammer wrote:

Oh, great, now it's only a matter of time before the Americans you overlooked feel slighted and start posting about even more unicorny wines.

Really, Dan.

champagne.gif
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Brian Tuite » August 5th, 2019, 9:09 am

Anton D wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 8:53 am
Alan Eden is looking up at this thread, smiling.

The force is strong with you, Howard! [cheers.gif]
FTW!

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

2019 WOTY...

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Jim Stewart » August 5th, 2019, 9:19 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
(1) Should there be a cap on the price or quantity of wines people should place on the wines they discuss on this board?
or
(2) are the complaints out of line?
. . .
I think my response would be no to both questions.
Re Price/Quantity, Let them post and let the rest of us live vicariously, drop our jaws, rue our cursed lives, ignore, or whatever seems appropriate.
Re "complaints", I don't mind the occasional negative comment or snide remark or contrarian opinion, but I do not like to see personalized nastiness.

dbailey

#36 Post by dbailey » August 5th, 2019, 10:05 am

To paraphrase: Is it legitimate to suggest creating a safe space for all those snowflake winos who are butthurt about not being able to afford to drink the same wine as someone else. Perhaps a new forum is required for those snowflakes - winewhiners.com?
Dan

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Chris Seiber » August 5th, 2019, 10:12 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 8:54 am

Although it pains me to come to Howard's defense, he says that he doesn't like the posts in question. This topic has been vetted before and and I think it is worthy of periodic resurfacing.
Did you read the posts he references? Neither of them seem at be at all what he's claiming ("calling people out for spending too much money or for buying things only a limited number of people could afford"), nor what you are defending him about.

I imagine if you looked hard enough, you might find a couple of times over the years someone has done what Howard claims, but neither of those two posts are it.

Markus S

#38 Post by Markus S » August 5th, 2019, 10:26 am

As Shakespeare would write, Howard, Much ado about nothing. Drink what you want, post what you want. I don't think anybody really cares unless it seems excessibe. We all like to hear about wine.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Greg K » August 5th, 2019, 10:31 am

I think your real question is whether we should ban Instagram. neener
Greg Kahn

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Howard Cooper » August 5th, 2019, 10:43 am

Bdklein wrote:
Howard Cooper wrote:
Dan Hammer wrote:

My view, as I expressed in my OP and on the threads I linked to, is that everyone should post what they want to post on and that people should not be showing their jealousy.

As I specifically said: "Obviously, I don't like the posts I have referenced or things like them - I think they reek too much of jealousy and not much else."
Howard

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Brian Tuite » August 5th, 2019, 10:47 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 10:43 am
Bdklein wrote:
Howard Cooper wrote:

My view, as I expressed in my OP and on the threads I linked to, is that everyone should post what they want to post on and that people should not be showing their jealousy.

As I specifically said: "Obviously, I don't like the posts I have referenced or things like them - I think they reek too much of jealousy and not much else."
If you would have said that in the OP it would have made a lot more sense. newhere

2019 WOTY...

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Howard Cooper » August 5th, 2019, 10:49 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 10:47 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 10:43 am
Bdklein wrote:

If you would have said that in the OP it would have made a lot more sense. newhere
My quote is from the first sentence of the last paragraph in the OP.
Howard

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Anton D » August 5th, 2019, 11:00 am

Excellent, we are moving into argument.

I can just feel the midi-chlorian levels surging.
Anton Dotson

GregT

#44 Post by GregT » August 5th, 2019, 11:03 am

But, I wanted to see what the board thinks. Is there a line that should be drawn.
Howard - if I didn't know better I'd think you were chanelling someone who's no longer here. Troll thread right?

What if the consensus was that yes, a line should be drawn and people should be ashamed to post about anything that cost more than $107.99 according to the best worldwide Wine Searcher price in today's dollars?

Would we require that any note be introduced with an apologia?

Who cares? And who cares if people don't like the tone because the poster seems to "snarky" or insensitive or entitled or whatever else constitutes the mortal sin of the moment?

People should post whatever they want to, whether it's about expensive wine that isn't worth the money or expensive wine that may possibly be worth the money or too many wines consumed or bottles half-finished because they want the world to know that they can do those sorts of things. If people don't like it, they're free to feel offended for themselves, or my favorite - to feel offended on behalf of someone else they may not even know. Worrying about causing offense to overly sensitive souls shouldn't be the guiding principle of our lives.

People should post whatever they want. Everyone is free to read or ignore any thread or any post. [cheers.gif]
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by K John Joseph » August 5th, 2019, 11:05 am

Anyone should be able to post about any bottle they consumed. If it's boasting and obnoxious, so what. If they can drink Screagle with Coke, so what. If their per diem is more than your annual income, so what. Board participants come here by choice, click on threads by choice, read those threads by choice, post threads by choice. If your feelings are hurt because of what someone posted remember that comparison is the nemesis of contentment. Then grow the hell up. Some have more, some have less and life isn't fair. Get over it. Drink and enjoy wine, find those on the thread with whom you can relate and share similar experiences if you have no desire to see others with their inaccessible-to-you bottles. I don't own any first growths, don't own any huge name burgs, and can't afford Screagle or even to stay on Harlan's list. But why would I ever hold someone's ability to afford and drink those--regularly--against them? In the end, the question of "who cares?" comes to mind. Why would someone else's consumption of something you can't afford affect you at all?

Um, personal point of privilege: John/Dallas/He:Him: the persons who imbibe things I cannot afford trigger my anxiety and so, um, can everyone change their behavior to, um, ensure that precious me isn't triggered?
J0hn-J-K4ne

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 5th, 2019, 11:08 am

Post what you wanna post. I love reading some Bacchanalia threads.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Neal.Mollen

#47 Post by Neal.Mollen » August 5th, 2019, 11:12 am

OK, I think this has been fully vetted. Everyone is in favor of posting whatever you want to post (I suspect even the authors of the posts Howard singled out, which don't seem to complain about such posts at all).

We good?

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Scott Brunson » August 5th, 2019, 11:23 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 11:08 am
Post what you wanna post. I love reading some Bacchanalia threads.
ditto

I host a CellarTracker offline featuring some seriously high-end wines each year. I'll post notes and pics; people don't have to read the thread. I post other notes as well.

Some of us enjoy wines at all price levels.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Mark Golodetz » August 5th, 2019, 11:36 am

I stopped posting on Squires about the OTT lunch we had every year. Inevitably by post 5 or 6, someone would say that we should not be drinking so many great wines, and Somehow they managed to inject moral indignation and that we were committing some sin. No need for extra grief I decided, get enough from my cat.

More respectful here; we did a minor version this year, which resulted in some lively debate. The thread with 5 people and 23 wines was a train wreck. Sad.
ITB
I could agree with you, but then we both would be wrong.

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#50 Post by Richard T r i m p i » August 5th, 2019, 12:09 pm

Excessibe balla wines are kind of the life blood of a diverse wine BB. It's a little like "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" except there's no Robin Leach and it's a more select group of viewers and participants. The "wannabees" want to see how the rich & famous live...and the rich & famous, to some extent, enjoy being seen living large. Part of me is indignant at the excess while being fascinated by the exclusiveness and the caliber of the trophies. It's a tricky balance to share the joy without appearing ostentatious and garish. Some excessibe threads will inevitably devolve in to train wrecks...which can be entertaining in themselves...RIP Alan. At some level, all true wine geeks are curious about the "best of the best". There aren't many other places to read about those wines and interact with the tasters themselves. That can't happen if the consumption is kept secret.

RT

Return to “Wine Talk”