TN: 2001 Carl Schmitt-Wagner Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg Riesling Auslese

2001 Carl Schmitt-Wagner Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (8/3/2019)
Last night was the best bottle of this wine I have ever tasted, and I have had a lot of this wine and this vintage. It was captivating. Still possessing lots of youthful fruit, it also had a subtle creamy edge. What really set it apart, and put it right up as one of the greatest Rieslings in my recent memory, was the endless depth of flavor. There was no way to touch the bottom. I kept tasting, and there was always more flavor, more aroma, more substance that remained. I felt as though I wasn’t ready for this wine. It was beyond comprehension. The 105 (at the time) year old, ungrafted vines knew too much. They had seen too much, and learned too much to transmit through one bottle of wine.

Bottles of course vary, but this one indicated that this vintage could be immortal.

Just stunning.

Posted from CellarTracker

Those old Schmitt-Wagners can be wonderful, and the '01s especially are something special. Really glad I bought a ton of this wine when Terry had the late release. Still have a case+ in storage - wasn’t planning to open one for several more years, but your note makes me want to put one on deck soon.

Do it. It’s so delicious now.

Indeed. BTW, had the 01 Spat a few weeks ago and it was also thrilling. (Sadly, now down to my last bottle of that.)

Very cool. Pleased to see I have 2 of these in the cellar, purchased ages ago for all of $17! Will open one soon.

Did it. It is indeed amazing.

Thanks. I have one left, most recent bottle 2011, so time for a treat.

I am down to my last bottle as well. I see I haven’t tried it in 7 years so this fall it will get drunk.

I have two of these. Just put one in the fridge to have with dinner tomorrow.

Opened this tonight, enjoying it now. Quite glorious, really. Took a few minutes to blow off a little aged/oxidized note, and flowered in the glass. Man, that 2001 acidity, fantastic. Loads of ginger. This is pretty much is a perfect spot for my palate preferences. Thanks for the reminder I had these in the cellar.

Glad everyone is enjoying it!

Sounds awesome! … I think you know how obsessed I’ve been with this vineyard since discovering it a couple years ago … so good!!

Thanks for this note. We have a bunch left and have been wondering when to check in. Also have some of the Kabinett of this wine from 81, which is clearly past its peak, but still very enjoyable and interesting.

I have been drinking and ageing the 2002 of this same wine. It’s still a relative baby, for my tastes, and excellent.

2001 Carl Schmitt-Wagner Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (5/30/2020)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 2 to 3 hours –
– AP No.: … 14 02 –

NOSE: expressive; light to medium-light petrol; classic, lightly-aged Riesling aromas.

BODY: dazzling orange marmalade color; full bodied.

TASTE: gently sweet for an Auslese; smooth; dried apricots and orange marmalade dominate; hint of honey; mineral note on the finish; well put together; embedded acidity; well-balanced; excellent. Not yet at peak.

But do you think it’s immortal?

First of all, I defer to you and anyone else who has loads more experience with Riesling than I for that question.

That disclaimer out of the way, my feeling is, “No.”

Now, if you were to ask me that about the JJ Prum WS Auslese from the same vintage … well, I’ll just say I’m still, without one iota of worry, snapping-up bottles of that one whenever I can. flirtysmile

I had this same bottle Sunday. While I found it pleasant, it didn’t impress me all that much. Maybe the bottle variation you spoke of.

It’s not a wine to impress. It’s about living.

David, I didn’t mean to offend. Your description showed a wonderful experience for you. The bottle I drank was fine, but I couldn’t apply the same superlatives as you. So I’m assuming I had a not so great bottle.