TN: 2016 Domaine Roulot Bourgogne Blanc (France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc)

I buy Roulot’s BB and Aligote fairly regularly in recent vintages as they’ve become the only Roulot a normal guy can “afford.” lol.

• 2016 Domaine Roulot Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc (8/4/2019)
    This '16 is showing some of the challenges of the vintage as Roulot lost much to frost. It’s rather simple, straight forward, low acidity, upfront sappy white fruit. Borders on cloying due to lack of structure/spine. It’s tasty in an- open- for business way, and crowds might enjoy it on a hot day, but it lacks the complexity Roulot usually gets at this level. And when not successful, in hindsight the price seems outrageous. Drink up.

Posted from CellarTracker

yes, for $75 I can get Bouchard premier cru Meursault.

Dayam. That doesn’t sound promising.

Yep. I was also thinking of Lamy St Aubin 1ers.

I had this last night as well. Although I didn’t dislike it as much as you (and definitely didn’t get anything that I would consider cloying), I think low acid and straight forward are apt descriptors. I suppose given how many well-stored, oxidized Roulot’s I’ve poured down the drain recently, I can understand why the wine would be made in a style that is more suited for immediate drinking and doesn’t seem to have the stuffing or balance to go for the long haul. An easy pass for me.
A

The 16 was also a weird blend of Chablis, Macon and cdb. Not up to their normal standards due to the frost

So I guess this is a strange case where “Roulot is not really Roulot” [bye.gif]

Wish I’d read this 24 hours ago…before I committed to buying some.

Oh well.

I don’t feel like I totally panned it, just not the regular Roulot-level brilliance!

sounds like you need someone with a time machine

This literally just hit my inbox “The Best Producer in Burgundy’s “Entry Level” Bourgogne Blanc from the Killer 2016 Vintage” albeit from a different producer

Don’t you have one? [cheers.gif]

[cheers.gif]

Had the 2011 last week and it was stunning. Went to search for more and saw the over $100k price tag. Ouch. My records showed that I paid $55 in 2014. That is a steep increase.

I really liked the two previous vintages so happily bought a bottle of this one for 35 €, have not tried yet. It probably does not sound like much compared to the US prices but then again the very solid Lamy St Aubin 1er Crus that were mentioned already can be had for just a couple of Euros more. The comments here and on CT sure do not sound promising…

It will be interesting to see how people on the board respond to 2016 white Burgundies more generally as they start to arrive on tables and in cellars. With the frost, it was a very challenging vintage, and—atypical Bourgogne Blanc notwithstanding—Jean-Marc actually made some of the best wines of the vintage to my palate. The Clos des Bouchères is excellent and the Perrières superb.

As one producer said to me re. 2016 whites, “sometimes high quality is a consolation for a small quantity, but sometimes a small quantity is consolation for poor quality”.

I liked the PYCM i’ve had from 16 so far; although haven’t really opened many of the big guns.

I will say that a couple of CT users with first-hand experience have reached out to me about the possibility of my bottle being off as their take was not as negative as mine. My bottle was atypical, even given the tough vintage, for a Roulot BB. I bought three bottles locally, at a reputable shop, so we will see on the other two. I will try another bottle soon and report back.

Probably your pallet is true to the problem of the wine in this vintage…Isn’t it actually not Domaine (not written on the 2016 BB label) this 2016 because of what Charlie FU stated earlier? That this 2016 BB is a blend of Chablis, Meursault and Mâconnais fruit…So probably his skill still made the most of it, but it’s just not as good as normal?

$100k?! Ok that is really bad QPR!