TN: 1999 Poderi Luigi Einaudi Barolo Costa Grimaldi

Decanted 2 hours. Garnet color with scarlet hints. Gripping nose of scented plum fruit, camphor, balsam, tar, and violets. Deep-diving layers of dark plum, black cherry, and strawberry fruit on the palate undergirded with tar and earth. Refreshing acidity and firm tannin leading to a long finish of textured dark fruit with tongue-curling concentration and tarry depth. Compelling wine of added dimension and drive. First experience with this producer. (93 pts.)

Cheers,
Doug

Sounds delicious! I have some of the 2009. I’ll probably give them another 5-10.

Chris,

Indeed quite a delicious bottle. It was open and energetic, still very much on the upward arc so yes another 5-10 years (at least) sounds about right.

Cheers,
Doug

I bought the 2000 vintage of this wine back in about 2004 after WS rated the vintage 100 pts. The vintage rating was overstated but this wine was outstanding. I only got one or two bottles as bin ends that I drank about 2015 and they are all gone, but I wish I had more.

I have had a few other Einaudi Barlos and I think the producer is under-rated. No Giacosa or Conterno, but I would say at the middle to slightly below the middle of the second tier. AND there are a lot of tiers in Piedmont

Jay,

Thanks for the info. Certainly flew under the radar for me and I haven’t seen many bottles at retail. In my brief foray researching Einaudi on the web, the one thing that stood out was that he was apparently the president of Italy for several years!

This bottled showed quite well and I think more research is in order.

Cheers,
Doug

It appears that he was the first democratically elected President of Italy after the all of fascism. I did not know that.