TN: 2016 Arianna Occhipinti „Siccagno“ Nero d’Avola - a postcard from Noto/Sicily

Here comes a postcard from a summerhouse in the hills near Noto/Sicily. Such a pleasure to make holiday in Sicily and the product quality of fruits, vegetables, fish and sea-food is simply stunning.

IMG_9398.JPG
IMG_9438.JPG

2016 Arianna Occhipinti „Siccagno“ Nero d’Avola

On the one hand you have the power of the classic Sicily grape Nero d’Avola and on the other hand the love for Burgundy by the winemaker Arianna Occhipinti. First a balsamic character with a basket of dark fruits and then a sublime elegant Burgundy finish. Every sip is a joy! And with 12% (!) there is nothing alcoholic&clumsy or tiring. Really stunning as we are such close to North Africa. Great aging potential.

92/100

IMG_9403.JPG
Cheers,
Martin

Just popped one tonight. Super tasty. The most elegant Nero D’Avola I can remember tasting. Definite Burgundian sensibilities…evident as well in her Frapatto. Not a bargain at $40 - $50 but worth the price.

RT

I approve and agree with this post… obviously :slight_smile:

Great post Martin, well done.

Richard,

good to see your impressions.

And what a beautiful time 1 year ago. Soo much has changed, unbelievable.

Salute,
Martin

A5AB94AD-EBB2-4D3F-B2B8-F664C2DAB950.jpeg
Mount Etna

Looks really beautiful! Sicily is on my bucket list…The phrase “make holiday” is such a European expression and always sounds odd yet endearing to the American ear.

I’ve completely rethought Nero d’Avola in the past year or so. I’d previously thought it a chewy, rustic wine that went well with some food but could tend too strongly towards tar and roasted fruit flavors. Wines from COS and Gulfi have made me rethink my assumptions. I’ve had wines from both that were delicate, fruity, bright and in no way heavy. I’d always enjoyed Cerasuolo, including Occhipinti’s SP68, quite a lot. I’ll keep an eye out for this one.