Failla concrete Chard

My winemaker friend up in SLO corked this up when I last visited. Not normally a huge Chard fan, but this blew my mind. Clean and mineral driven with none of the stuff that normally keeps me away from Chard. It was their concrete egg unoaked version and pretty limited production as they only have one egg. I joined their wine list just because of it. Their Pinots are damn solid as well. If you get your hands on some, don’t hesitate.

All of their wines are worth trying. Nice stuff IMO.

Their Chards are top notch.

One thing, they have a pretty good amount of eggs. I’m not sure what their count is now, but when I worked there in 2011, there were at least 6 concrete eggs (both the 700 and 1700L sizes) and I know EJ has added more eggs since then.

Deleted- Duplicate

Thanks for info, Hardy.

They responded on my Insta and said they only made 100 cases of the stuff, so I assumed it was just one egg. But this is some time ago and I got a bottle sent as my allocation recently, so I’m sure they’ve stepped it up since 2016 vintage. In any case, a wonderful wine! [cheers.gif]

They have more concrete eggs than any other California winery I’ve seen. I would say probably a dozen or so now, based on what I remember from my visit back in February. Ehren is the egg master, no doubt about it!

Check their Instagram feed. They recently took delivery of more eggs.

Egg is the new oak! Amphora is the new concrete! [wow.gif]

Did a tour there in March. I used to sell their wines and upon the visit was most impressed by the Chard’s ironically, of which they spend time in the eggs. Great concept. Seems to be working quite well, plus their vineyard sources are top notch which helps immensely.

I was in the club for a few years, and realized that their Chardonnay and Syrah were my favorites.

Just tasted there last week and I bought Syrah and chard actually. The PNs were very nice as well.