Failla concrete Chard

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Failla concrete Chard

#1 Post by Adam Frisch » August 3rd, 2019, 1:54 pm

My winemaker friend up in SLO corked this up when I last visited. Not normally a huge Chard fan, but this blew my mind. Clean and mineral driven with none of the stuff that normally keeps me away from Chard. It was their concrete egg unoaked version and pretty limited production as they only have one egg. I joined their wine list just because of it. Their Pinots are damn solid as well. If you get your hands on some, don't hesitate.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

GregT

Re: Failla concrete Chard

#2 Post by GregT » August 3rd, 2019, 3:18 pm

All of their wines are worth trying. Nice stuff IMO.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

H Wallace Jr
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#3 Post by H Wallace Jr » August 3rd, 2019, 9:02 pm

Adam Frisch wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 1:54 pm
It was their concrete egg unoaked version and pretty limited production as they only have one egg.
Their Chards are top notch.

One thing, they have a pretty good amount of eggs. I'm not sure what their count is now, but when I worked there in 2011, there were at least 6 concrete eggs (both the 700 and 1700L sizes) and I know EJ has added more eggs since then.
Hardy Wallace itb
Dirty and Rowdy Family Winery: Mourvèdre and Semillon Together at Last

H Wallace Jr
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#4 Post by H Wallace Jr » August 3rd, 2019, 9:02 pm

Deleted- Duplicate
Last edited by H Wallace Jr on August 3rd, 2019, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hardy Wallace itb
Dirty and Rowdy Family Winery: Mourvèdre and Semillon Together at Last

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#5 Post by Adam Frisch » August 3rd, 2019, 9:10 pm

Thanks for info, Hardy.

They responded on my Insta and said they only made 100 cases of the stuff, so I assumed it was just one egg. But this is some time ago and I got a bottle sent as my allocation recently, so I'm sure they've stepped it up since 2016 vintage. In any case, a wonderful wine! [cheers.gif]
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Denny Marin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Denny Marin » August 10th, 2019, 1:34 pm

H Wallace Jr wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 9:02 pm
Adam Frisch wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 1:54 pm
It was their concrete egg unoaked version and pretty limited production as they only have one egg.
Their Chards are top notch.

One thing, they have a pretty good amount of eggs. I'm not sure what their count is now, but when I worked there in 2011, there were at least 6 concrete eggs (both the 700 and 1700L sizes) and I know EJ has added more eggs since then.
They have more concrete eggs than any other California winery I've seen. I would say probably a dozen or so now, based on what I remember from my visit back in February. Ehren is the egg master, no doubt about it!

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » August 10th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Check their Instagram feed. They recently took delivery of more eggs.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#8 Post by Adam Frisch » August 10th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Egg is the new oak! Amphora is the new concrete! [wow.gif]
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Gabe Berk

#9 Post by Gabe Berk » August 12th, 2019, 11:17 am

Did a tour there in March. I used to sell their wines and upon the visit was most impressed by the Chard's ironically, of which they spend time in the eggs. Great concept. Seems to be working quite well, plus their vineyard sources are top notch which helps immensely.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » August 12th, 2019, 11:26 am

I was in the club for a few years, and realized that their Chardonnay and Syrah were my favorites.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#11 Post by Joe Chanley » August 12th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Just tasted there last week and I bought Syrah and chard actually. The PNs were very nice as well.

Return to “Wine Talk”