TN: 1991 Souverain Cabernet Sauvignon Winemaker's Reserve

• 1991 Souverain Cabernet Sauvignon Winemaker’s Reserve - USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley (8/2/2019)
    Where do these beauties keep coming from!!! Last had two killer bottles back in 2016…still more in the cellar! Looks like I picked up a 4 pack on WB in 16 for $25 per. I’ll blind ANYONE in a First Growth tasting, and if this doesn’t win or place…I’ll give you my cellar!! :wink:
    This bottle even better than the last…dark and youthful with perfect integration and polished balance. Full bodied and layered with sweet berry fruits, currants, boysenberry jam…silky tannins, yet still has a firm cedar and tobacco dry spice kick. Plenty youthful acidity…aged complexities of menthol, leather, dried tobacco leaves, cigar box, licorice, damp cellar…wonderful florals of crushed violets, cherry blossoms and earth spice. SO classic SO plush…aged to perfection…a fine Bordeaux kissed with Ca sunshine! In awe of this wine. (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Wow. I wonder which AV vineyard this was sourced from?

Great note!

“All of the grapes (including ten percent cabernet franc in the blend) came from four hillside sites – Stuhlmuller, L&L-Lish, Oakridge and Chateau Souverain’s Asti vineyard. Winemaker Tom Peterson fermented the juice on the skins at warm temperatures and, after fermentation, the crushed berries were gently pressed to achieve the desired flavor and color extraction. The wine was aged for 23 months in Nevers French and American oak barrels.”

Can anyone comment on if current vintages are made in the same style as I also have a half a case of these 1991 beauties. I also have a 2001 and a 2004 to experiment with.

Josh:

I didn’t think there were current vintages?

Didn’t they get absorbed into the Coppola brands?

I enjoyed 97 and 01 of this bottling, but maybe it was their basic one.

Depends on the First Growth, but if it were Latour, I would take the bet.

1991 is a sneaky under appreciated vintage in the north coast. I have had some spectacualr bottles from this year. And yes I agree they can occasionally stand up to anything Bordeaux can throw at them.

I have a '96 which I pulled a Coravin splash to see how it was and was definitely not holding up as well as this '91. Pretty thin and flat. Haven’t had the interest to pull the cork on it after that.

I also continue to be more than astonished at how some of these older Cali wines drink. I have a recent post here about a small bottling of a 1991 from Monticello that was shocking. Is there a way that we can keep this a secret so that we can buy these gems at low prices at auction??? Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh

But seriously, I think that these aged 1991 gems firmly demonstrate that “temperature controlled wines” can last a long time.

There still is this wine–but no idea how the ownership and winemakers have changed:

I just opened up a 2004 of their base bottling (not the reserve) in an attempt to answer my own question. It seems to have the same bones as the 1991/92–just needs some more time. It comes in at 14.1% and is still the same wonderful wine. It finishes almost identical but doesn’t seem to have the upfront and nose yet. I think it’s just deceiving that there is so much graphite in this ‘young’ wine that it is covering the fruit. The fruit is still there but just needs more time to shine! Still would love to know if I should be buying cases of this in current vintages as this 2004 will be as good as the 1991.

Was looking to see what else was out there and saw this:

Souverain’s history dates to 1944 when J. Leland Stewart harvested his first crop from his vineyard near Howell Mountain. Stewart focused on making Cabernet Sauvignon, and for several decades his Cabs were widely admired by those who believed that California could produce world class wine. Stewart sold the winery to investors in 1973, staying on for almost a decade as winemaking consultant. At the time of the sale, the estate moved to Alexander Valley, where it remains today. In 1986 the estate was sold to Beringer and the word “Chateau” was added to the name. Ed Killian was hired as an associate winemaker in 1992 and since 1996 he has been head winemaker. Souverain owns a 120-year old estate vineyard of about 280 acres. Souverain produces Sauvignon Blanc, Merlot, and Cabernet Sauvignon.

seems kind of muddled

I remember those bottles back in the 90’s had a very weird kind of octagonal/slab sided feel to them.

don’t recall that from other producrs.

The early 90s didn’t–but the '01 did and the '04 didn’t. I think as long as it says Alexander Valley–it’s the same winemaker and vineyard?

I got 8 bottles of the 1994 Alexander Valley (NOT the Winemaker’s Reserve) at auction back in 2015 at $16/bottle. They were very good, although fully into tertiary cigar box territory, and my TN at the time said they had a classic Pauillac profile. Those 1994s had the green faceted bottle.

Tom Peterson s son Austin is now the winemaker at Ovid…or was the last time I looked. His successor, Ed Killian, who was the winemaker from around 1992 until maybe ten years, ago, now makes his own wine. Ed was involved in making the '91 Lambert Bridge Cab, another overlooked gem.
Both Tom and Ed have a lot of respect in the winemaking world but don’t seem to have gotten the press that their peers have received.

I just opened up a 2004 of their base bottling (not the reserve) in an attempt to answer my own question. It seems to have the same bones as the 1991/92–just needs some more time. It comes in at 14.1% and is still the same wonderful wine. It finishes almost identical but doesn’t seem to have the upfront and nose yet. I think it’s just deceiving that there is so much graphite in this ‘young’ wine that it is covering the fruit. The fruit is still there but just needs more time to shine! Still would love to know if I should be buying cases of this in current vintages as this 2004 will be as good as the 1991.

Love the Cabs from Napa and Sonoma in 2004!

Brian I posted a note about another obscure 1991 cali cab showing real well to this day; a small batch bottling from Monticello Vineyards in Napa. I am going to look for this 1991 Souverain at auction, but I won’t bid you up on it if you make the first bid! All these unheralded 1991 gems.

Great note, Brian. This is why I love CellarTracker…an oenophile (or anyone else) can get a current note on a nearly 30-year-old wine.

Kudos to you and to Eric Levine! [cheers.gif]

Colin

1998 Souverain Cabernet Alexander Valley:

1998 wasn’t a top year in Northern Cal. Lots of sediment on the decant. Not any bricking. Mulberry fruit, graphite, and menthol on the nose. Still some hairy tannin, tons of menthol, leather, and medium bodied. This is the opposite of plush and on the decline. (90 pts)

1 Like

1997 Chateau Souverain Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley (drank 1/23/22)

This was a beautiful purple color in the glass with no signs of bricking at all. Medium(+) intensity aromas of cherry, raisins, mushrooms, leather, and hints of green pepper. The palate was just as beautiful with cherry, leather, and pepper. Still plenty of acidity along with integrated tannins provided great texture and an incredible drinking experience!! Cheers to 1997 and my anniversary vintage.