Rhys fined $3.76M for illegally diverting water in Anderson Valley

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
KyleC

Rhys fined $3.76M for illegally diverting water in Anderson Valley

#1 Post by KyleC » August 2nd, 2019, 2:56 pm

Was surprised to read this:

https://www.northbaybusinessjournal.com ... ts-penalty

"The illegal and permanent loss of wetlands and streams caused by the vineyard construction was an egregious violation of state and federal law,” said Josh Curtis, assistant executive officer of the North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board, in an announcement Friday.
C h e n

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Rhys fined $3.76M for illegally diverting water in Anderson Valley

#2 Post by Josh Grossman » August 2nd, 2019, 3:03 pm

That guarantees I never buy their wine again! Thanks for the heads up!

YLee

#3 Post by YLee » August 2nd, 2019, 3:08 pm

I wont buy their wines either.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Russ Williams » August 2nd, 2019, 3:15 pm

Certainly was not expecting to read anything like this when I entered the forum.
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Alan Rath » August 2nd, 2019, 3:17 pm

Don't know the details, and how "egregious" the violations really were. But I'm laughing hard right now at the idea that whatever Rhys did is even a drop in the bucket compared to the integrated effects of pot farming around the county for all these years. I'll continue to buy and enjoy Rhys wines, no problem.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Peter Petersen » August 2nd, 2019, 3:27 pm

That’s an expensive oversight on their part! Looks like the case is settled.

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Josh Grossman » August 2nd, 2019, 3:30 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 3:17 pm
Don't know the details, and how "egregious" the violations really were. But I'm laughing hard right now at the idea that whatever Rhys did is even a drop in the bucket compared to the integrated effects of pot farming around the county for all these years. I'll continue to buy and enjoy Rhys wines, no problem.
Was also surprised to read how many thousands of acres these greedy asshats are farming. I’ll do my best to try to make it cheaper for you but it sounds pretty blatant that they knew what they were doing. I guess I would encourage you not to support greedy pot farmers who destroy wetlands too?

Gabe Berk

#8 Post by Gabe Berk » August 2nd, 2019, 3:33 pm

Brutal. Quite the fine. With all the quasi similar practices by other large and small wineries alike and all the marijuana farmers not adhering to many of the similar county/state rules & regs, it sounds like someone specifically called them out.

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Greg K » August 2nd, 2019, 3:34 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
Yeah, I'm pretty dubious any time a prosecutor or regulatory agency claims actions were "egregious". What do people expect, that they announce the violations were really minor and not worth pursuing? I'm not an expert on illegal water diversion and have no idea whether this is the case. Maybe they are, maybe they're not, but I can't possibly make that claim without more information. If true, I'd certainly be disappointed, though if I stopped buying wine from producers who did bad things, my cellar would look very different!
Greg Kahn

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Greg K » August 2nd, 2019, 3:36 pm

Josh Grossman wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 3:30 pm
Was also surprised to read how many thousands of acres these greedy asshats are farming. I’ll do my best to try to make it cheaper for you but it sounds pretty blatant that they knew what they were doing.
Where did you read that?
Greg Kahn

KyleC

#11 Post by KyleC » August 2nd, 2019, 3:40 pm

Greg K wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 3:34 pm
Yeah, I'm pretty dubious any time a prosecutor or regulatory agency claims actions were "egregious". What do people expect, that they announce the violations were really minor and not worth pursuing? I'm not an expert on illegal water diversion and have no idea whether this is the case. Maybe they are, maybe they're not, but I can't possibly make that claim without more information. If true, I'd certainly be disappointed, though if I stopped buying wine from producers who did bad things, my cellar would look very different!
If you read the article, it states there was "unpermitted diversion of rainwater runoff" as well as "violation of state and federal law" hence the thread title of illegal diversion.
C h e n

KyleC

#12 Post by KyleC » August 2nd, 2019, 3:41 pm

Greg K wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 3:36 pm
Josh Grossman wrote:
Was also surprised to read how many thousands of acres these greedy asshats are farming. I’ll do my best to try to make it cheaper for you but it sounds pretty blatant that they knew what they were doing.
Where did you read that?
Someone who's ITB should comment, but my understanding is that given how sacrosanct water rights are in droughty California, things like this don't just happen by accident. I wonder if there was any admission of guilt in the settlement or if that was a negotiated point.
C h e n

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Alan Rath » August 2nd, 2019, 3:45 pm

Josh Grossman wrote:
Alan Rath wrote:
Was also surprised to read how many thousands of acres these greedy asshats are farming. I’ll do my best to try to make it cheaper for you but it sounds pretty blatant that they knew what they were doing. I guess I would encourage you not to support greedy pot farmers who destroy wetlands too?
I’m naturally skeptical of regulations and regulators. People who set up rainwater collection systems for their house are also in violation of regulations in certain jurisdictions. Probably egregiously as well. I hope they don’t find my rainwater barrel stashed behind my house!
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

T. Williams

#14 Post by T. Williams » August 2nd, 2019, 3:48 pm

To everyone who isn’t going to buy Rhys because of this, I pose a follow up question:

Do you also boycott factory food farms, both meat and vegetable/fruit, that commit just as egregious crimes against nature? For that matter add in garment makers, energy companies, and petroleum manufacturers.

Is it not cool? Yes.
Is it going to make me stop buying Rhys? Nope.
Tim W.
Eat.Drink.Play.

DanielP

#15 Post by DanielP » August 2nd, 2019, 3:50 pm

Well, apparently two of the reservoirs were predated Rhys' ownership of the property. The article says that enforcement has picked up in the past decade, so I wonder if this was something that was sort of ignored until more recently?

In the absence of more information, I don't think this would significantly change my consideration of Rhys wines.
P@ik

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by dcornutt » August 2nd, 2019, 3:53 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
Amen! Me too.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by dcornutt » August 2nd, 2019, 3:55 pm

Gabe Berk wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 3:33 pm
Brutal. Quite the fine. With all the quasi similar practices by other large and small wineries alike and all the marijuana farmers not adhering to many of the similar county/state rules & regs, it sounds like someone specifically called them out.
To me it sounds like someone had an ax to grind here. Love Kevin. He did the right thing and paid and moved on.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Josh Grossman » August 2nd, 2019, 3:58 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 3:45 pm
Josh Grossman wrote:
Alan Rath wrote:
I’m naturally skeptical of regulations and regulators. People who set up rainwater collection systems for their house are also in violation of regulations in certain jurisdictions. Probably egregiously as well. I hope they don’t find my rainwater barrel stashed behind my house!
A 20+ acre lake isn’t comparable to a backyard rain barrel; red herring fallacy.

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Josh Grossman » August 2nd, 2019, 4:13 pm

T. Williams wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 3:48 pm
To everyone who isn’t going to buy Rhys because of this, I pose a follow up question:

Do you also boycott factory food farms, both meat and vegetable/fruit, that commit just as egregious crimes against nature? For that matter add in garment makers, energy companies, and petroleum manufacturers.

Is it not cool? Yes.
Yes, confined animal feedlots are some of the worst offenders of multiple forms of air and water pollution. Check out Wendell Berry’s, Solving for Pattern: http://ceadserv1.nku.edu/longa/haiti/ki ... attern.pdf

J. Rock

#20 Post by J. Rock » August 2nd, 2019, 4:13 pm

Definitely not buying any of their wine.
J o r d a n

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Craig G » August 2nd, 2019, 4:14 pm

I would have expected that people at Rhys would understand the details of these regulations, but what was said in the article would probably not be understood by the general public (that they had the right to pump the runoff but not to collect it).

My guess is that it has been common practice to do stuff like this and the authorities are trying to change that.

I’d like to hear Joe Webb’s opinion on this. He had some really informative and entertaining things to say about water use (by grape and pot growers) in that area.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Josh Grossman » August 2nd, 2019, 4:14 pm

DanielP wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 3:50 pm
Well, apparently two of the reservoirs were predated Rhys' ownership of the property. The article says that enforcement has picked up in the past decade, so I wonder if this was something that was sort of ignored until more recently?

In the absence of more information, I don't think this would significantly change my consideration of Rhys wines.
I read it as the reservoirs were built in 2015?

DanielP

#23 Post by DanielP » August 2nd, 2019, 4:16 pm

Josh Grossman wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 4:14 pm
DanielP wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 3:50 pm

I read it as the reservoirs were built in 2015?
"Two reservoirs preexisted the purchase of the 4,591-acre Clarke Ranch property southwest of Laytonville from Golden Ram Sportsmen’s Club"
P@ik

Al Osterheld

#24 Post by Al Osterheld » August 2nd, 2019, 4:19 pm

It’s 22 acre feet, not a 20+ acre lake unless the lake is only a foot deep.

The runoff regulations are a lot more strict in that county because of their specific circumstances.

-Al

Peter Valiquette

#25 Post by Peter Valiquette » August 2nd, 2019, 4:19 pm

Josh Grossman wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 3:58 pm
Alan Rath wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 3:45 pm
Josh Grossman wrote:

A 20+ acre lake isn’t comparable to a backyard rain barrel; red herring fallacy.
The article said 22 acre-feet, not 20+ acre. That’s a significant difference. Could be just a 2.2 acre pond that’s 10’ deep.

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Greg K » August 2nd, 2019, 4:21 pm

KyleC wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 3:40 pm
Greg K wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 3:34 pm
If you read the article, it states there was "unpermitted diversion of rainwater runoff" as well as "violation of state and federal law" hence the thread title of illegal diversion.
I read the article. My question was whether this was "egregious" not whether it was illegal.
Greg Kahn

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Greg K » August 2nd, 2019, 4:23 pm

KyleC wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 3:41 pm
Greg K wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 3:36 pm
Josh Grossman wrote:
Where did you read that?
Someone who's ITB should comment, but my understanding is that given how sacrosanct water rights are in droughty California, things like this don't just happen by accident. I wonder if there was any admission of guilt in the settlement or if that was a negotiated point.
I was not suggesting they did it by accident. I'm saying I don't know whether they knew what they were doing was egregiously wrong.
Greg Kahn

Joe G a l e w s k i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Joe G a l e w s k i » August 2nd, 2019, 4:23 pm

It isn't fair to speculate. It could be a simple misunderstanding. Or it could be a profoundly wicked and maleficent plot by Rhys. We don't know. To me, Kevin Harvey has always been the definition of transparency, often to a fault, in my opinion. He happily answers the minutia questions that you guys ask him about their winery and mailing list. I would assume he treats the California Water Board with the same respect.

Peter Valiquette

#29 Post by Peter Valiquette » August 2nd, 2019, 4:29 pm

I think the only thing egregious is the penalty. 3 small ponds on a 4,500+ acre property isn’t going to significantly alter basin hydrology.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » August 2nd, 2019, 4:33 pm

T. Williams wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 3:48 pm

Is it not cool? Yes.
I’ll start with food, since wine is an agricultural product.

My meat, fruit, vegetables, milk, eggs, yogurt, etc. all come from local farms almost year round. Being in New England there are some items I cannot get from a local farm in the dead of winter, but I probably buy 90%+ local. Beyond that I make very specific decisions about the rest of the food I buy.

I am very curious to know more about what happened here.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#31 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » August 2nd, 2019, 4:34 pm

Sounds like it was probably an innocent, and expensive!, mistake.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Scott Watkins » August 2nd, 2019, 4:38 pm

Let's not go down the road of saying California water policies are too strict or I'm not buying their wine anymore before we really know what happened. It's been done to death here.
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » August 2nd, 2019, 5:01 pm

My wallet (and wife) would support a boycott.

Just sayin.

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Scott Watkins » August 2nd, 2019, 5:05 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 5:01 pm
My wallet (and wife) would support a boycott.

Just sayin.
Of what California or Rhys [cheers.gif]
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » August 2nd, 2019, 5:06 pm

Probably both!

David_K

#36 Post by David_K » August 2nd, 2019, 5:20 pm

"Mistakes were made."
K@ntrОwi╦z

Albert R

#37 Post by Albert R » August 2nd, 2019, 5:46 pm

Just sad on both fronts!
Cheers,

@. Re-go

SLee

#38 Post by SLee » August 2nd, 2019, 5:53 pm

Hope this hefty settlement does not cause another price increase
S u n g

GregT

#39 Post by GregT » August 2nd, 2019, 5:56 pm

They bought the property with two of the reservoirs already there and the third was completed in the year they made the purchase. The article doesn't say if work was already underway when the property was purchased.

Knowing nothing other than was printed in the article, it's a leap to claim that Rhys even knew the ponds were illegal, since they were in existence when the property was bought.

And they had the rights to pump water, but not to collect it. Does the article say anything about how much water they are allowed to pump and what damage to wetlands pumping would cause?

I think we should do everything we can to protect our environment and our wetlands and streams, even if it means, as it must, that you can't put vineyards in places that might really be good for wine.

But it's not like they went in there and plowed up a meadow, drained wetlands, and built some pools. Honestly, I don't see their behavior as being all that egregious, and they've apparently done what they can to make amends. While I'm not on their mailing list or anything, if I were buying their wine, this wouldn't cause me to feel differently about them.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Kevin Harvey

#40 Post by Kevin Harvey » August 2nd, 2019, 6:08 pm

There is a lot I would like to say about this over a glass of wine (or two!) but given the situation, I cannot do that now except for a few facts:
1) we made some serious mistakes
2) The property is 4591 acres. The vineyard is 20 acres. We have always planned to conserve the remainder.
3) 2 of the 3 ponds have been on the site for 60+ years
4) anyone who has visited our vineyards has seen that they are managed with extreme environmental sensitivity and this site is no different

I am sorry but I will not be able to respond further.
Rhys Vineyards

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 2nd, 2019, 6:12 pm

GregT wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 5:56 pm
They bought the property with two of the reservoirs already there and the third was completed in the year they made the purchase. The article doesn't say if work was already underway when the property was purchased.

Knowing nothing other than was printed in the article, it's a leap to claim that Rhys even knew the ponds were illegal, since they were in existence when the property was bought.

And they had the rights to pump water, but not to collect it. Does the article say anything about how much water they are allowed to pump and what damage to wetlands pumping would cause?

I think we should do everything we can to protect our environment and our wetlands and streams, even if it means, as it must, that you can't put vineyards in places that might really be good for wine.

But it's not like they went in there and plowed up a meadow, drained wetlands, and built some pools. Honestly, I don't see their behavior as being all that egregious, and they've apparently done what they can to make amends. While I'm not on their mailing list or anything, if I were buying their wine, this wouldn't cause me to feel differently about them.
Nicely stated, Greg.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Al Osterheld

#42 Post by Al Osterheld » August 2nd, 2019, 6:12 pm

If a stream passes through their property, they can use the water as long as no other entity has rights to the water, it stays within the same drainage system, and is not moved to a non-contiguous piece of property that does not touch the stream. They can use some of it or all of it. But, they can't store it during wet times for use during dry times, that requires them to be granted additional rights.

During a normal year, storing 22 acre feet of water during wet times would not have an effect on the wetlands. But it's still not allowed without a permit because it could have an effect if everyone does it.

-Al
Last edited by Al Osterheld on August 2nd, 2019, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Al Osterheld

#43 Post by Al Osterheld » August 2nd, 2019, 6:14 pm

There is a lot I would like to say about this over a glass of wine (or two!) but given the situation, I cannot do that now except for a few facts: . . .
A glass or two of sparkling wine, perhaps? Understandable you're unable to respond.

-Al

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » August 2nd, 2019, 6:33 pm

Kudos to Kevin for even responding at all. The internet is dark and full of terrors, even for people with completely good intentions.

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Peter Petersen » August 2nd, 2019, 7:06 pm

I’m certainly not going to boycott over this infraction. It’d be very hard to prove that using the water for irrigation would take water away from an estuary. This something people have studied and it would appear that lots of collected rain water going into the soil is recycled lower down rivers and streams, provided the water has not be transported.
The issues are generally with water that is transported far from where it originated.

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by brigcampbell » August 2nd, 2019, 7:24 pm

Look, it's obvious Rhys isn't the evil empire or the dark star.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Craig G » August 2nd, 2019, 7:33 pm

Kevin Harvey wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 6:08 pm
There is a lot I would like to say about this over a glass of wine (or two!) but given the situation, I cannot do that now except for a few facts:
1) we made some serious mistakes
2) The property is 4591 acres. The vineyard is 20 acres. We have always planned to conserve the remainder.
3) 2 of the 3 ponds have been on the site for 60+ years
4) anyone who has visited our vineyards has seen that they are managed with extreme environmental sensitivity and this site is no different

I am sorry but I will not be able to respond further.
Kevin, thanks for coming here and responding.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Kris Patten » August 2nd, 2019, 8:06 pm

How will this effect pricing of future vintages.... [whistle.gif]

I kid, Kevin and his team have been A+ people from the start.....as a friend tells me, people don't change, and I don't think Kevin and crew were ever anything but transparent from the start. This wouldn't change my mind in slightest barring further disclosure of malice.
ITB

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by R. Frankel » August 2nd, 2019, 9:31 pm

California is a tough place to conduct business in a lot of ways. Complex regulations in many, many areas. As someone who has run (non wine) businesses here, it’s not simple stuff. And it’s easy to make mistakes, even significant ones. Just because a company makes a mistake and is fined, absolutely does not mean they made those mistakes deliberately or maliciously. Judging Rhys’ malice by this article seems extremely hasty. And we’ve seen lots of very positive discussion of Rhys here, with participation from the principals. You may not like the wine, or the prices, but the people have proven to be of high quality.

I will continue to buy the wine with enthusiasm. And will ridicule anyone who boycotts them over this occurrence. Come off your high horse folks and don’t slander people and events about which you know so little.

Btw despite the regulations I still love California and couldn’t imagine living anywhere else.
Rich Frankel

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by R. Frankel » August 2nd, 2019, 9:33 pm

Josh Grossman wrote:
Alan Rath wrote:
Greedy asshats? Thousands of acres? This property is 20 acres. Since when is planting a 20 acre property evil?
Rich Frankel

Return to “Wine Talk”