RIP Chuck Hovey

I doubt that many here knew of Chuck Hovey, but he was one of the top vintners in the Sierra Foothills for many years, notably at Stevenot in Calaveras County and in more recent years at his own Hovey Winery there. He passed away earlier this week, several years after suffering a severe stroke. He was considered one of the pioneering post-Prohibition vintners of Calaveras County.

Award-winning Mother Lode vintner dies at 64

I had the pleasure of talking with Chuck on several occasions when he poured his Hovey Tempranillos at the TAPAS tastings of Iberian variety wines - really nice guy and of course very knowledgeable. Chuck also was a consultant at Gianelli Vineyards in Tuolumne County, and Bryan Harrington worked with him to obtain fruit from several varieties (Malvasia, Greco di Tufo, Montepulciano, Aglianico) at their vineyard a few years ago.

Chuck had a big impact on Sierra Foothills wines and he’ll be missed.

Sorry to hear that.

We have a vacation home in Twain Harte, so Murphys is just a short drive.

I was a member at Hovey for many years, but stopped when Chuck had his stroke and stopped making the wines.

I have a fond memory of him calling a neighboring restaurant (Grounds) to make a reservation for me & my wife.

Good wine; great guy.

Sad news.

My wife’s father and mother in law live/lived in Murphys and I have spent a lot of time up there. Been to their tasting room many times, and had a great outside wine dinner one Summer evening. I think I have a bottle or two of their Isobel (a cab based wine) - think I’ll tee one up for tomorrow.

Loved their Temperanillo’s - and you could buy them for less than $25. RIP Chuck. 64 is way too young.