RIP Boots

Read sadly about the passing of Boots Brounstein of Diamond Creek. She had been actively involved in running the winery operation since Al passed.
I will think of them both fondly when I start to open those glorious old mags in the cellar, it is almost time.

Old Wineguy Recollections:
I was part of a biz playing a big role in Diamond Creeks evolution, selling more of their wines than any other portal in the US for years through the mid 1980’s.
They would drop in on the way through San Rafael going to and from SF. Al took center stage, but she backed him up promoting their juice as they were wont to do. Their style of promotion was similar to other 1970’s Napa winery founders; non stop about Napa, their vineyards and their wines.
She was more prominent when I visited the property as a gracious hostess.
As I have mentioned previously, they would see stacks of their wines in different locations in the store, not realizing the shipping area was small, so we had sold wine awaiting shipping in a couple of locations, plus we did keep a stash in back. One of their standard lines was “If you boys are having trouble selling it, we will buy it back.” Another mocked his Parkinson’s, “Fastest hands in the West”
Their 1978s are perhaps the best drinking 40+ year old CA Cabs. at this time.
A wonderful legacy, they will be remembered and missed.

Such a gracious lady. We had many interactions with her, including as far back as 1990 (and more recently at the WS NYWE). She loved my wife…and vice versa. Heaven is a better place right now.

Colin

A fine family with a great vision.

RIP, ma’am.

Yep. I didn’t know them well but met both Boots and Al a few times. Always respected their vision and their wines. It was a different time then. RIP.

She was great. Napa Valley has lost another part of its pioneer-generation…

An old friend of mine from the UK used to take Al his Parkinson’s medication before it was available in the US. He told me Al’s “fastest hands in the West” line, too. What a sense of humor!

Strong yet always a lady.

We just published a little appreciation and interview: Robert Parker: The Wine Advocate

Sad. I just noticed the story in WS today. We had been to the winery and talked to Boots the weekend prior to her passing. My wife couldn’t stop talking about how great she was.