Have We Reached Peak Rosé?

This, in the Economist today:
The rise of rosé - Even the French are learning to drink pink

(I wanted to do this as a poll but couldn’t find how on this board to do that).

I believe this might be what economists call a trailing indicator. I predict this bubble will deflate over the next year or two, except for the serious stuff that will get even more expensive. And is it just me or is Rock Angel, for example, on a downward slide (presumably to maintain quality of the top cuvées)?

Oh, and this was on the shelves of our local monopolista recently:

The label is clearly an exercise in irony. I’m not sure what the contents are an exercise in (scary colour, marked confected overtones and soda pop fizz). My recollections of it when last tasted over 50 years ago are far better, of a simple straightforward wine; not sure if its the winemaking or my memory that has deteriorated.

When I look at the sea of Rosé on the shelves at the KGBO. mostly undistinguished, I see a bubble. Which is a pity as the category has been dismissed unfairly in the past.

Im attaching a pdf of the article in case anyone has trouble with the link.
Even the French are learning to drink pink - The rise of rosé.pdf (283 KB)

Rose is dead at retail

[snort.gif]

This joke is played out now.

Mateus made rose before it was cool. That is true. Though this bottle style is new.

Sweet nasty rose, but nonetheless

Good question…IMO, there’s a sea of mediocre pink wines out there now. I have my favorites but I drink less bottles of them these days. And it’s hard not to feel that the pressure to have rosé ready to sell earlier and earlier has the wines filling a slot rather than setting a bar. There are plenty of exceptions to this thought, and many good/great producers but they are feeling like a smaller and smaller percentage overall to me.

I certainly hope it hasn’t peaked. I have got a few to sell.
IMG_9261.jpg

Agree with this as I mostly stick to Cibonne, Tempier, Pibarnon, Cameron Spritz, and a few Loire and Txakolina favs, but wouldn’t be upset if you made some again. [stirthepothal.gif] Your MV Rose from a few years ago is probably my favorite WA/OR rose ever.

And when you come up to visit, I’ve got a mag of Gobelsburg Rose we can crack.

Rosé is to summer what pumpkin spice is to autumn. I don’t think the bubble will bust, it will just become so prevalent that it’s no longer cool. Furthermore, just like fake pumpkin flavor, “meh” rosé is all over the place but really good versions are a little harder to seek out. Has anyone ever had a real pumpkin latte? amazing stuff!

Of all the wine types in my cellar, I have the highest percent of rosé that is in the feed it to people who put ice cubes in their wine category.

Recent article in Sevenfifty says that rosé is still climbing in sales … Predicting the Future of Rosé Wine | SevenFifty Daily .

Spend a weekend in the Hamptons and you’ll see its all people drink. For some reason Rose is associated with summer drinking - mostly Whispering Angel.

I am drinking almost as much Rose as white right now.

Er no its very much alive at retail!!!

I walked through the total wine Rose section not long back- An entire aisle devoted to pink stuff- There was maybe 1 or 2 that I would be willing to buy and I love good rose.

I’m a big fan. When it’s really hot I just don’t have nearly as much interest in red or even many whites. My wine consumption is probably 80% rose in the summer. My core lineup remains the same, though I’ve made a couple of new discoveries as well. So I have to appreciate the growth in the category because it is allowing for much better access. I remember about ten years ago stopping at a large wine store in KC on my way to an outdoor event. This was a place that had an interesting and decently large selection of Burgundy, Loire, etc., but about five bottles of rose, only one of which was available in the extensive cooler section. I suggested they should have more and that the category was growing, and the buyer just laughed and shrugged. Now I can go into many local places here in STL and know that they’ll have several good options. There may be more plonk but it’s also resulted in more of the good stuff.

There are crisp, mineral driven, herbal roses’ that will always be a part of my summer. There are also sugary, slightly fizzy shit that gives good rose’ a bad name. My intake of rose’ though is really only a few bottles a year and mostly Bedrock Ode to Lulu.

Mateus made rose before it was cool.

And played a large part in making it uncool!

I don’t see why people only think of it for the summer though. A good rosé is good any time of the year, particularly with lighter suppers, sushi, and other things. Even with a bit of fizz. A good dry one can even give you a touch of tannins that you wouldn’t get with a white. What matters to me is the sugar level. And the flavor profile - I don’t like the melon notes in some.

But I think it’s a permanent part of the wine market now, although it may become less faddish, which is as likely to happen with other wine and maybe wine in general.

And BTW, has anyone tried Drew Barrymore’s wine?

I did rag on her for her video that seemed to display a complete lack of wine knowledge, but whoever is making the wine is doing a credible job. It’s not as bad as some I’ve had and were someone to serve it at some event where wine wasn’t the focus, it wouldn’t be the worst wine they could choose. So good for Drew. I expected something really bad, and instead got something that wasn’t that bad at all.

In defense of sweet, fizzy roses…

A little like cherry soda pop…but better. 7 - 8% abv. I might have 1 every 2 - 3 years…which is enough. Nevertheless, it’s a fun interesting quaff.

RT

Greg, funny you mentioned that. I popped a rose tonight (I forget who) and did a double-take at the amount of stuffing this thing had. Nice acid and yes, some tannins. So good fresh and young (it’s a 2018) but that backbone had me wondering if it could age like a Tempier.

I’m going to have to get some of that RT, although it’s $24 a bottle around here.

Just finished a half case of N.V. Elaborado Por Masia Puigmolto Cava Conquilla Brut Rosé, a delightful picnic wine from Skurnik for <$14. Wish I had more.

https://www.cellartracker.com/classic/wine.asp?iWine=3118721

Don’t know Jason but it’s nice to find those. They definitely fill a role. Larry’s from Tercero, based on Mourvedre, was one that had a bit of tannin too.

BTW, is that Mawby in your avatar the Mawby in Michigan? That’s another place to look for interesting rosé.